The Five: Random TV thoughts
Various things I've been thinking about lately.
1. I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but the guy who plays Horn-Rimmed Glasses Man on Heroes, Jack Coleman, is the guy who played Steven Carrington on Dynasty in the 80s! I didn't recognize him at all. Not that I watched Dynasty. I was a Knot's Landing guy. Great hair though.
2. I can understand why the cable networks would cover a story like the death of Anna Nicole Smith. She died young, she was a blond bombshell, she was fighting for a half billion dollars, she was a Playboy playmate, drugs were involved, sex was involved, she had a son that died young, and there's a mystery involving the paternity of her baby. It was like every single TV movie of the week rolled into one. Of course it had to be covered. But I think there's a bigger problem here. The cable networks will tell you, "hey, people wanted to see the coverage, we got great ratings." But there used to be a time when TV news gave us what we needed, not just what we wanted. It's backwards now. Whatever happened to editorial decisions? (And I'd say the same thing about reality television.)
3. You know what we need on TV? A show filmed in black and white. Maybe a cool private eye show, or even a sitcom or drama sets in the 50s or 60s. Somebody has to do that.
4. What's the hold up with getting Ed released on DVD? Jeez, I don't want to have to dig my old videotape copies out of that damn trunk. Is it a music thing? Come on guys.
5. Have you ever gotten the urge to go back to a time when we only had 5 or 6 channels to choose from? I'm reading a book right now, The Paradox of Choice, about how the abundance of choices we now have in our lives (everything from food at the store to entertainment choices to insurance) might actually be a negative thing. And I'm going through a phase right now where I really don't want to surf around 130 channels to find something to entertain me.
Of course, ask me two weeks from now and I'll tell you how happy I was to find a rerun of 77 Sunset Strip on some cable network at 3am.