September 30, 2014

30 Rock: The "C" Word

by Julia Ward, posted Feb 16th 2007 2:30AM
30 Rock C Word(S01E14) The torch has passed. If Alec Baldwin has a spiritual predecessor in his portrayal of network executive Jack Donaghy, it is Rip Torn as Larry Sanders' producer Artie on The Larry Sanders Show. Putting Alec Baldwin and Rip Torn on the small screen together was a genius move. (Having Alec Baldwin sing "Simply the Best" to Rip Torn's portrait - one of the funniest jokes I've seen all season.) It's just too bad they barely had any screen time together. That was a match made in comedy heaven. Fortunately, there was more than enough funny to make up for the missed opportunity.

Let's start with that runt, Liz Lemon. Cats, you know, can sense "debilitating loneliness." This was another great week in Tina Fey's continuing portrayal of what being a hard-working gal is actually like. Last week, Tina showed us that hard-working women are greatly relieved when they get to remove their bras from underneath their shirts. Oh yes, we are relieved. This week, she reminded us of the cultural significance of Designing Women. Dixie Carter as Julia Sugarbaker - would it be an overstatement to call her a feminist icon, role model and guru? I think not. Love the Sugarbakers. Hate them. Love them again.

Moving on, Kenneth and Grace - too hot for TV? And, would that be Genneth or Krace? I can't decide if I liked it best when he sniffed her hair, complimented her on her peacock earrings or quoted Jerry Maguire to her. The awkward eye contact they exchanged when they were paired up for the charity golf event was priceless. Give him a romance, give him a golf club, just give him a reason to be on screen. Kenneth is easily the best supporting character to have been introduced this season and make it past sweeps.

Tracy also got ample screen time this episode, which was a nice change of pace. He got his own fancy storyline and everything, and his diabetes speech was priceless. "It was Easter. We stayed up all night, the night before, watching bible movies and eating fiddle faddle. The next day, it was Easter Sunday. She threw up right in the middle of the Jaguar dealership." You know how rich, white people roll.

Stigmata

i think tina fey has EARNED the right to criticize Sorkin's pathetic excuse for a train wreck. this show is head over heels superior in every aspect. It succeeds as a comedy where studio 60 fails as a drama about comedy. i think NBC canceled it already right?

February 17 2007 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Rip Torn as Larry Sanders' producer Artie was one of the best-ever characters on TV. Period.

It was great to see Rip Torn in this role (but boy does he look much older).

Great episode as always. I only tune in for Alec Baldwin. He is genius in this role.

February 16 2007 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
captainmicahp

I thought Tracy said his daughter's name was Che'heta.

February 16 2007 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julia Ward

Good point, Matt in Oakland. Correction made. ;)

February 16 2007 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

Not to nitpick, but the network on 30 Rock is NBC, not NBS - that would be Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Rip Torn's character is chairman of GE, not NBC. I know its a minor detail, but I have issues with people soiling Ms. Fey's excellent show by confusing it with the rapidly decaying Studio 60

February 16 2007 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

"Runt! Runt! Have you seen my kitten Runty?" Funny as ever.

February 16 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

I really wish they would swap this show with Scrubs at 9. I like Scrubs, I do, don't get me wrong, but I love the other three shows in the Thursday block.

From 8-9, everything's good, I'm happy, laughing, jovial even, but then when it hits 9, I hate to say it, but I'm waiting for 9:30...

February 16 2007 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

P Chow: I noticed that as well, but it might not have been intentional. Park is one of the three most common family names in Korea, and Grace is an incredibly common first name for Korean American girls (though I'm not sure why... but I haven't met all that many Korean girls, but I know two Grace Lees and a Grace Kim).

February 16 2007 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

"You do not cross a Sugarbaker woman!"

Too funny!

February 16 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Parikshat

How about Kenneth going ga-ga over "Grace...Grace Park"? Ha - there's a great BSG reference.

February 16 2007 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply