September 23, 2014

Identity returns in March

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 16th 2007 11:01AM

penn jilletteI really wanted to like this show, but I couldn't even make it through the first episode. Although, to be honest, the only thing that made me want to check it out was knowing that Penn Jillette was hosting it. I've been a fan of Jillette's for years, both solo and as one-half of Penn and Teller, but watching Identity was like listening to paint dry -- not watching paint dry, listening to it dry, which is much more boring.

Since networks don't make decisions based on my personal preferences, Identity will be returning to NBC Fridays in March. The first new episode will air at 9:00 p.m. on March 16, and will then slide into its regular timeslot beginning March 23 at 8:00 p.m.

Okay readers, should I have given the show more of a chance? Is it actually better than I thought it was? I'll admit I might not have been in the right mood when I watched it. Perhaps I had just been shot down by a girl at the bar, or maybe I ate some bad ham. If you think it deserves a second look, here's your chance to convince me.

Preston

I think it was smart that they took the show off for a few months since NBC doesn't want Identity to steal Deal or No Deal's thunder. There would be too much one-upmanship among Penn Jillette and Howie Mandel and badmouthing each other in the press. That said, I thought that Identity was quite good in its initial run. There's a good chance that somebody could win the entire thing. It does require a lot of thinking in this show. Though I would avoid the having of friends/family members on the side (it makes it blatantly look like Deal). I was surprised with what their identities were--they had these anonymous personalities to them.

February 19 2007 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Brady

I'm with you on this one, Adam. We turned it off after about ten minutes of trying to get through the first show. There's very little interesting gameplay involved, and while Jillette can be a very entertaining guy, here he's reduced to a stock-phrase chattering block of wood.

A tangential rant: It seems that ever since "Millionaire" it has been decreed that prime-time game shows require a catchphrase, something repeated over and over, to help with marketing. I realize that this isn't a new phenomenon ("Come on down!", "Survey says...", etc.), it's just that the sheer obviousness and banality of the intended catchphrases is so grating.

OK, I feel better now :)

February 16 2007 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I thought it was a fun show to watch with someone and a tivo. With someone (my wife) because it fun to guess out loud and hear what they are guessing. With a Tivo so you can pause on the list of Identities instead of trying to remember them all. (plus all the other advantages Tivo has, ff past commercials etc.)

February 16 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The show is completely pointless like all other game shows in prime time today.

And why doesn't NBC just start showing it at 8pm to begin with? Show it at 9pm for a week then move it?

February 16 2007 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon88

Let's not put this show to sleep until after they've paid my way to the Left Coast to stand on their stage and be identified, shall we? (Dare I risk breaching security and revealing my identity? Let's just say that you might be one of the million or so people who saw me playing the piano in a documentary released last year.)

February 16 2007 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply