July 25, 2014

Men in Trees: The Indecent Proposal

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 16th 2007 1:43PM
men in trees
(S01E17) After feeling like we've been treading water over the last few episodes, this one really felt like the show started moving forward again. Jack and Lynn are getting married, Mai and Sylvia are planning a wedding, Sarah is moving on with her career, Annie and Patrick are meeting her parents, and Marin is having boy troubles of a different kind. I have to admit that I was getting a little tired of this show after last week but this episode was invigorating.

The theme this week was 'doing the right thing'. Marin was second-guessing whether leaving Jack and Lynn alone wasn't actually the right thing to do after all. In her despair, she got drunk and made out with her houseboy, Cash, who never seems to wear a shirt. It's gratuitous but I think that was the point. Marin actually seemed to take a back seat to the other stories this week and that was fine with me. Her Jack angst is played out enough.

Did any other X-Files fans out there feel a sudden rush of terror when Sarah was making eyes at that guy in her CPR class? Gah! It's Alex Krycek! Actor Nicholas Rea Lea ended up being a pretty nice guy- a pastor, in fact, which made for more than a little tension between the two since Sarah used to be the town hooker. I love that she told him about it straight-up, though. How many shows would drag out a secret like that and then have it blow up?

The Annie/Patrick storyline in New York was cute- complete with special guests Annie Potts and Colm Meaney as her parents. Poor Patrick was intimidated as hell by Annie's strict father. He thought he was being called out for sleeping with Annie before they married, but boy was he wrong! The twist at the end had me laughing out loud! The family gathering was another intervention for Anne's brother, a drunk who totally made out with Jane. Luckily, Patrick convinced the brother to go to rehab, which won him over with Annie's dad.

Another, smaller storyline that I really enjoyed was the planning of the wedding with Sylvia Celia and Mai. Really, it was Mai that I enjoyed. She had a couple of great one-liners: "I'm going with the traditional side pony." and "I haven't seen this big of a combination since Julia Roberts married the hillbilly with the Don King hair!"

Now, what on earth is Sarah being sued for? Good cliffhanger for next week!

Lorraine

Went on line again today to see where the heck the show is. One blog I found by the shows writer said around March 12th, but so far we have never found it. I rarely watch tv, but this show has become a 'fix' to me. Just need to watch it. Supposedly it will be coming on the 2007/2008 season. I am also in agreement about Jack's childhood friend played by Justine Bateman. She did miss acting school. Hope Jack's not out to save her for too long. If the new time slot for this show conflicts with anything else we may have gotten used to seeing, even October Road, which we like, I can tell you MIT will win.

May 02 2007 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MiT-fan

P.S. I love all the other characters on the show too. AND the scenery is amazing. I realise it isn't actually filmed out in the back of Alaska or anything, but it still makes me want to visit Alaska one day.

March 13 2007 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MiT-fan

I am from New Zealand and stumbled across this show when it started a few weeks ago. I LOVE IT!! I love everything about the show, so much so that after only seeing 5 eps I had to go search the net to see whether the show continued for awhile or whether it got dumped - because I'm loving it so much that I was worried I'd be massively disappointed when it suddenly just stopped one week, never to return again. So I am greatly relieved to see that there are many other fans of the show out there. Heaps of people I know in Europe, Australia and here in New Zealand love it. I hope that ABC keeps the show going for many more years to come.

Having said all that... I read ahead and found out what happens in the rest of Season 1, especially relating to this horrible Lynn. Not happy about that!!! But as long as they don't sabotage Jack's character while spinning out this triangle storyline, I suppose I can live with it. The attraction between Jack and Marin is quite incredible (we just had the "heatwave" episode here - say no more!!), so I am not at all surprised that the Jack-Lynn thing is a complete turn-off.

GREAT show ABC. It is now my FAVE show, alongside Lost and Grey's Anatomy... I think I'm starting to like it even more than those other 2 actually, and that's saying something.

March 13 2007 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josie

New episode will be on April 12th and from then on should be originals till end of season..
I think Lynn must go. Jack and Lynn have absolutly no chemestry, its like a constant cold shower when they are together, even in bed.

March 08 2007 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hieu Huynh

Yeah, does anyone know if there will be a new episode next week? There is a new show that will be aired during the same time slot on the same night as Men In Trees. So what is going on?

March 02 2007 at 4:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Does anyone know when the next episode is supposed to be on?

March 01 2007 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spteri

I also think that Justine Bateman, to be polite, has not aged well. She has a harshness about her that is an extreme contrast to HEche, but perhaps this is what the writers want. They can't have the two main protaganists together off the bat, or there would be no show. I am guessing they are smart enough to realize that the fans of the show just are not going to appreciate Jack & Lynn together for long.

March 01 2007 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

McTreemy lost me when he went for Justin Bateman also. I say bring on more Cash too. I think he's a great new character to the show. Hey I keep rewatching the show just to get to see him!!

March 01 2007 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KB

It's a good thing Cash doesn't have too many lines; I don't think he could handle any complex acting. And I'm glad Marin gets to tell him he's conceited; it's too obvious to go unnoticed. But what he lacks in depth, Cash makes up for in looks. I thought I was only watching the show for the brains behind the story, but I was kidding myself. Bring on more Cash!

March 01 2007 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeAnn

So Sean, background guy, why did the powers that be hire ugly Justine Bateman? For contrast to Anne Heche? I mean eww!
I sure hope that Jane and Plow guy get back together...they were so much fun, and he is such a dish! As a bibliophile, it heartened me that plow guy thought Jane's book nerdiness was sexy...sigh. I wish my guy thought brains were sexy!
Anyway, I am thrilled that this show is on, because its like a new version of Northern Exposure, which had an indoor studio not too far from where I live in Washington state. Keep up the good work!

February 26 2007 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply