Producer says Michael Jackson won't be on Idol

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Feb 16th 2007 9:34AM
Michael JacksonThere have been rumors of late that Michael Jackson, in an attempt to revive his stalled music career, might just be planning an upcoming surprise appearance on American Idol. But Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe put those rumors to rest in a recent interview with TV Week.com.

When asked if Jackson would be on the show, Lythgoe stated "we won't be seeing him." He also indicated that he wasn't just saying this as a "tease" or because the details are up in the air. Lythgoe added, "the fact is he will not be on American Idol."

However, I'm still not sure I believe Lythgoe. If you recall, last year Idol producers tried to make us believe that Prince wouldn't appear or perform on the show. And we all know how that turned out.

Idol prides itself on being a family show, and I think they know that an appearance by Jackson, an accused child molester, would be too controversial. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they've planned a "Michael Jackson Theme Week." This would allow Jackson's music to speak for itself (and reach millions) without causing too much of a public uproar.

Lythgoe went out of the way to say we won't "see" Jackson on Idol, which leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe, we'll be "hearing" him instead.

Dave

Well I think if someone who run the show the way they do and let the judge the one from over sea to be a smart ass why not let Mr. Jackson be on the show............shywolfdave1

February 23 2007 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Starr

How very sad we Americans have become. Someone accussed of wrong doing "we" decide their guilt or innocense through TV, or news articles. Refrence if you will the Dixie Chicks. The public disowned them because of the "rights" of our laws. FREEDOM OF SPEECH. What we are really saying here someone can have their own opinion providing it confirms your own. Michael Jackson was NOT found guilty. Michael Jackson has spent a lifetime of providing talent and music to this country. Face reality he changed the way people not only listened to music but ENJOYED it. For that we should recognize and celebrate his talent.

February 21 2007 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dayna

Please do not ruin my favorite tv show by putting a sick person like MJ on it! Disappiointed is a small word to my feelings on allowing an accused child molester on American idol. I believe the only reason he is not in jail is because he had lots of money. which is sick and unfair.

February 17 2007 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lena Garret

NO No No To having Michael Jackson on American Idol!!!!! NOR his music as theme week. He should be in jail....or just dissappear into the woodwork.He certainly is not Idol material in any way.

February 17 2007 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I knew that would be impossible because American Idol's producers would have to go through all kinds of legal wrangling to get Michael Jackson on there. And then there's the entertainment critics that will lash about his look, his thinner nose and somewhat freaky appearance. Last year I remembered when they said that Prince wouldn't appear on Idol, but there he was on the big superstar-heavy finale. They didn't even announce his name in the introduction. They love to keep things very tight lipped in situations like that.

February 16 2007 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply