October 25, 2014

The show I learned to love

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 16th 2007 12:44PM

ScrubsAs regular TV viewers, we can easily list our favorite shows of all time. And we can name the shows on the air right now that we love and never miss. My list of the latter would include The Office, Heroes, Studio 60, The Late Show With David Letterman, Ugly Betty, and Jericho. And this season, I added another show to the list. One I had never really watched before.

Scrubs.

Yeah, I think I had seen an episode before, but I never really watched the show. I think other shows I liked were on at the same time, I didn't want to get caught up in another medical drama, and I think that episode I saw wasn't one of the better ones and it didn't make me want to tune into the show again. But then a funny thing happened. Last year I started watching the show late at night, after the Friends reruns on a local station, and I completely fell in love with the show. And it's not just that I "like" the show now, it has actually become one of my favorite shows of all-time. I watch the episodes and I think "how the hell did I miss this show all these years? What was I thinking?"

Do you have a show like that?

Jim

Good news, R Reed. "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is not over.

February 19 2007 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R. Reed

Curb Your Enthusiasm. Caught an episode in a hotel room near the end of the series.

February 19 2007 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

The Office, and to a lesser extent, Scrubs. I watched a few minutes of a few episodes of Scrubs while waiting for ER to air (this was when Scrubs first had the 9:30 Thursday slot), and I always liked what I saw, but didn't get sucked in until mid-Season 4.

The Office, on the other hand...I saw the pilot, but it wasn't enough to make me keep watching. Then I saw a few miscellaneous episodes, and finally decided to watch "A Benihana Christmas", S3's Christmas episode. I loved it so much that I bought S1 and S2 on DVD immediately, and caught up with the rest of S3 online. It took a few episodes to get the comedy of the show, but I won't miss it now!

February 19 2007 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

That 70s Show
The Shield

February 18 2007 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy Greco

FIREFLY!!!

February 18 2007 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Scrubs was this way for me too. I never watched it because I thought it was "too sitcomy" and the few episodes I'd seen were very JD-daydream-centric and that annoyed me, having not been familiarized with the characters. Just like a relationship, now that I've watched the show for awhile, the things I once hated are some of my favorite details.

The same thing happened to me with The Office. I had seen one episode (Christmas episode I think, with the yankee swap) and thought it was "weird for the sake of weird" and since I knew it was an American version of a British show, and all Steve Carrell was to me then was a Daily Show contributor trying to make it on his own, I wrote it off. Strangely enough, it was the same few co-workers who convinced me to give it a second shot. The first episode I saw was Casino Night and then I went back and watched the whole series. Love both shows now.

February 17 2007 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

For me that was The Amazing Race. I've never cared for "reality" shows (still don't) so I didn't watch the Race until the 6th edition when a friend bugged me into it. I was hooked!

Fortunately, GSN was showing the first five races and I watched every episode and have been a fan of the show ever since. I know, the family edition was pretty lame but even that was better than it should have been. I'm looking forward to the "All Star" edition starting tomorrow night.

February 17 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justelise

The first episode of Scrubs I saw was early on (perhaps 2nd season) but as soon as I saw the acapella group I was hooked. Having grown up on Saved By the Bell and The Wonder Years, I am also a sucker for shows with daydreams, flashbacks, and a narrator. Braff has such a memorable voice and such great delivery and timing that it took all of 5 minutes to get me hooked. Ironically I initially tuned in to see Donald Faison because of Clueless.

February 17 2007 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

My best friend got me into 'Gilmore Girls' and 'House' because he kept leaving so many eps on my DVR.

But I honestly have to say that I crapped on 'Scrubs' for the past 5 yrs and all of a sudden due to CC and NBCs new thurs lineup I am ashamed of myself. This is a great show that has truly found it's own unique spot in comedy. It's weird and it works, as opposed to the normal it's weird and it's cancelled routine that has killed so many other greats. I'm completely onboard with you guys.

February 17 2007 at 2:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
agentmichaelscarn

There have been several shows like this, my prime example would have to be "Da Vinci's Inquest". It is kind-of-like "Homicide: Life on the Steet" and "Qunicy: ME". This was a Canadian show that was not shown in the U.S. until WGN put it on syndication a few years back. It may take a while to get sucked in, but once you do, wow. Another favorite that I picked up somehow is "Columbo".

I'm a 21-year-old college student who's favorite shows are "Scrubs", "The Office" and "HIMYM" -- Go figure.

February 17 2007 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply