August 1, 2014

Brothers and Sisters: Love is Difficult

by Jen Creer, posted Feb 18th 2007 11:46PM
Balthazar Getty(S01E15) Did you catch it? If you were playing the Brothers and Sisters drinking game tonight, tonight's inside joke was from Kitty this time. When she was yelling at McAllister about her poll results, she said that people might think she is too thin.

Well, finally. Is it just that time in the season for television characters to be getting to the heart of matters in this particular episode? This seems to be happening a lot this week. For the first time, Balthazar Getty got an episode tonight that was worthy of him. And it's nice to know that he isn't a saint and that he is pissed about Sarah getting the family business. And he doesn't even have the regrets of not having confronted William about it.

Tommy is also having twins, a boy and a girl. Now, if two of my brothers had donated their sperm to help me have a child (or two children!), I would want to know which brother was the father. Is it going to be both? If you donated sperm to help one of your siblings have a child, would you wonder? Would you feel possessive of that child? Or would you be able to let it go and move on with things? But naming his son after William after everything William did? Honestly: barf.

Joe and Sarah are finally moving things forward with therapy. I knew that Brenda's Sarah's feelings for Noah were going to come flying out. What do you think of Nora's advice for her to tell Joe? I think Nora was projecting, because she felt so betrayed by William's affair with Holly. But I am not sure that Joe needed hear that Sarah almost had an affair. But didn't anybody tell them that marriage therapy is jokingly called divorce therapy? Note to Sarah: Nobody can be everything to everybody.

Nora is writing a short story (didn't she want to go back to art school?) about love and running away, sort of after the fact. She is running around reading bits of it to everybody. You know, if you are actually writing a short story and you seriously want somebody's opinion of it? Wait until you've done about thirty drafts of it before you show it to someone. Don't these people have any friends outside their family? I don't live near my family, and maybe if I did, I wouldn't talk to anybody but them, but somehow, I doubt it.

Ooh, I like Rebecca. Did Holly and Tommy really think that he was never going to meet her? How long does Holly think she can keep Rebecca from knowing her family? That door is opened now.

Oh, Kevin, I wouldn't be able to shut the door on Chad either. I know he is such bad news, like that chocolate-covered, cream-filled donut that you just know you will regret tomorrow at the gym. But god, isn't he yummy tonight?

MC

Tommy (Balthazar Getty) also used to be on Alias for the last season or so.

Love this show!

February 26 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Not only is the cast of Everwood coming over, so is the cast of Alias - Sloane = Nora's bro Saul and therapist = Sloane#2. Hehe.

February 19 2007 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Up until this episode I was thinking that it would be cool to eventually have Joel Grey on the show as an uncle to Saul and Nora; some blood relative as I've always thought they could looked similar. (Not as twins, of course, I'm just saying they look like they could be related.)

Too late for that now, though. At least they gave him a decent speech there at the end to justify having him take such a small role.

February 19 2007 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

The best line was Justin's when he said, "you gonna eat that?"

February 19 2007 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justelise

First Treat Williams now Emily VanCamp.. Brothers and Sisters is like rehab for Everwood cast members. All we need is to get Gregory Smith on the show with a recurring role somehow (a VERY young love interest for Nora that she's met in her writing class perhaps), and I will be the happiest tv geek ever. If we can get a couple of Six Feet Under cast members to show up along with Moondoggie, my head will explode.

I did like this episode and yes Kitty is too skinny and is helping to warp the body images of young women around the country.

February 19 2007 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

If there is new series on television right now that has shown the most growth in writing quality and character development it's Brothers and Sisters. This show just keeps on getting better and the addition of Rob Lowe has been a major positive. After the brief scene betweenn Tommy and Rebecca I can see Emilv Van Camp adding a whole new level to the show. And I have to say she was totally hot!

You're right it was about time Getty got an episode that was worthy of both him and his character. Having Tommy break off from the family to stand on his own two feet was problably the best decision creatively. As for Sarah, I think she's being immature and whiny about everything. From Holly's obviously wise business deal to the problems she's having with Joe. I think John Pyper-Ferguson deserves a little mention for this episode, as well. The raw emotion he projects from the TV screen during the therapy sessions was just beautiful acting.

February 19 2007 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Bach

Sorry, that should read (ie. NOT Kitty)

February 19 2007 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Bach

@Jordan: I thought the exact same thing.

I liked the episode. The problem with having such a large primary cast is that some of the "lesser" siblings (ie. Kitty) have to take a back seat for an episode. I just don't like when it's Justin. He and Kitty have such a great relationship and such great chemistry; I love seeing them interact.

February 19 2007 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

Love this show but whenever the doctor said she saw four feet, I thought the baby was deformed and had acutal four feet and not twins. Am I the only one?

February 19 2007 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Brenda's feelings? Have a little Six Feet Under on the brain this week. Yeah, every time I see her on B&S I keep expecting Nate to show up and the two of them have sex in a closet somewhere.

February 19 2007 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply