October 20, 2014

Just how popular is Grey's Anatomy anyway?

by Jay Black, posted Feb 18th 2007 10:22AM
Yeah, most doctors are this attractive. No really, they are.There's a serious problem at this nation's colleges. Something more serious than liberal professors, binge drinking, and crystal-meth combined. Yes, I'm talking about Dempsey-Mania.

For the second time in the last week, I've had a comedy performance at a college scheduled so that it didn't conflict with the Thursday night airing of Grey's Anatomy. Now, I realize that I'm slightly less yummy than Dr. McDreamy (ahem), but come on -- a live performance (of anything, not just me) surely has to out-rank a TV show, right?

More disturbing to me is the fact that at none of the colleges I'm performing at this year (I'm scheduled to be at around 100) are doing this for any other show. Shows that I thought would be perfect college "event" shows (like The Office or Lost) are ignored, while Grey's Anatomy is tip-toed around. I don't watch the show, so I thought I'd put it to the commentators: what is it about this show in particular that drives college kids so crazy?

sdm32786

i love mcdreamy and the whole cast
there is just an it factor
i can't explain it
i'm addicted. I love the show

March 05 2007 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Err - Can't buy me love AND The Bachelor on one TV show?

Every girl has to see that show.

And for the guys: Izzy

*purr*

Though I can't stand her bitching anymore :-)

February 19 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent

Many of the reasons written here apply to scrubs, bar the doctors looking like models bit (no offense, it's actually a compliment), with an emphasis on comedy intelligence and compassion.

I am european and still wonder why scrubs hasn't break all existing records ?

February 19 2007 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Ummm..... are you being bumped specifically because of Grey's, or are you being bumped because you're trying to book your crap on *THURSDAY NIGHTS*. Just saying...

February 18 2007 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

Shameless comedy plug.

I watch the show for one reason and one reason only. It doesn't suck. That can't be said about most of television. Even most of the shows raved about here suck. Boring and dull storylines plauge television.

Thursday night is the only weekenight I turn on my television. If I miss the show, I catch it online. I used to be a TV junkie, watching it all the time. Now, between my work and school schedual, the only show I make time for is Greys.

I refuse to watch reality shows. Sitcoms suck by simply being sitcoms. Greys is interesting. I'd even watch this show if it didn't have super hot women on it. (God, if you really exist, prove yourself by arranging a 3 way with me, Kate Walsh, and Sara Ramerize. The cute redheaded intern that gave George the Syph can clean us up.)

February 18 2007 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

i'm also in the "not seeing the appeal of grey's anantomy". i hate to say this but the show kinda lame. it's friends meets ER.

February 18 2007 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

Good lord, I'm a university student, and I have no idea why I've seen all but two of Grey's episodes (the last two). I haven't REALLY liked it since season one. The only character I sympathize and identify with is Bailey. Now I just watch it to see Addison be a hot redhead. Bah at everyone else. I don't schedule tv time for Grey's. It conflicts with my Supernatural viewing, which is also full of pretty.

So, my opinion is that people probably watch for various amounts of reasons. I don't see what the big fuss is about Grey's anymore, but someone else might love it to death. I think the people who love it to death outnumber people like me, though. There's no way you can say "all college students" watch for this reason because college students aren't inherently a certain type of personality. We go to post-secondary school. That's about it for linking us together.

February 18 2007 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I'm going to join Tammy and show my age, too, but even more so I'm afraid. We didn't have VCRs when I was in college, so there was no choice but to watch when something was broadcast.

My friends and I had several shows that just had to be watched and we watched them as a group. I was a mini-party lasting about an hour and everything would stop to watch whatever was the show of the moment. I suppose the same thing applies to Grey's, but I can only speculate having never seen a single frame of the show.

February 18 2007 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

There's no doubt that Grey's Anatomy is a good show. The acting and diverse cast are strong. I think that CSI is showing its age (7 years) and some viewers are quitting it to watch Grey. So you just have to put your comedy performances on another day, just not Thursday. Because Grey's is just too red hot a show at this moment. Much like the powerhouse high numbers of 30 million or more that American Idol gets on Tuesday and Wednesday.

February 18 2007 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This is probably the lame answer, but I think it's because the show is a lot of fun and not full of itself. ER, a show I like and have been watching since day one, takes itself far too seriously sometimes. Grey's takes very little seriously and it's not ashamed to be that way. It's light entertainment, which is what makes it the perfect foil to CSI's gritty drama and realism. Also, it doesn't hurt that Grey's is an ethnically diverse bunch of eye candy.

February 18 2007 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply