November 22, 2014

What do you think of Oprah's secret?

by Julia Ward, posted Feb 18th 2007 8:10PM
Oprah and Rhonda ByrneYeah, sure, I was snookered. Oprah dipped into the Viral Marketing 101 handbook when she ran promos asking, "What is the secret?" It wasn't enough to get me to watch Oprah, but I did investigate online to find out what "secret" was being kept from me by the good people at Harpo Productions.

What "secret" could Oprah possibly have left to share? Over the years, she's told me to embrace my spirit, cut out the "white" stuff, wear cotton underwear and drive a Pontiac. Apparently, Oprah's "secret" is The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - another in a long line of vaguely spiritual Four Agreements/Celestine Prophecy/Miracle Matrix self-help tomes.

According to the divine Ms. O's website, "The Secret is defined as the law of attraction, which states that like attracts like. The concept says that the energy you put into the world - both good and bad - is exactly what comes back to you. This means you create the circumstances of your life with the choices you make every day."

Free will, self-determination and a little PMA. That's "positive mental attitude" to those of you who didn't have my gym coach in high school. It's not the worst philosophy ever. Take a little responsibility for your life, your choices. Really, so long as you're not a self-righteous prick about it, I don't care what floats your wellness boat - the bible, Oprah, weed, the series finale of Six Feet Under, whatever gets you through the day.

The Secret doesn't, of course, take into account what it means to be in circumstances so dire and so insurmountable that no amount of PMA will get you out of them. Overcoming abject poverty, political disenfranchisement or social marginalization is really not the self-help racket's stock and trade. What is, however, is coming up with all manner of wacky lineages and quack documentation to validate their "way" over the next self-help guru's.

In the case of The Secret, we're presented with equal parts pseudo-science - energy, radio waves and matter - and history. Check out The Secret's promo video online. It looks like The Da Vinci Code meets National Treasure. Masons, shady Vatican officials and patriarchal corporate tycoons in board rooms (...I'm looking at you Alan "Caleb/Meade/Widemore" Dale...) have been trying to suppress "the secret" for years. The Man has been trying to keep you down by hiding the coveted "self-determination" lecture in a codex wrapped in a lock box buried in a tomb. It took Oprah to blow the conspiracy wide open. (Next week, she discovers that Jesus was a woman and JFK was assassinated by the Knights Templar.)

So, did any of you embrace The Secret?

Darren

Beloved - The Secret is being taught by many great teachers and featured on Oprah; Larry King; The Today Show; Good Morning Amercia and all major news and radio shows.

Tonight I attended a Free lecture by James Ray on this subject and he spoke of the Emerald Tablet; Dark Matter and the other Seven (7) secrets besides the Law of Attraction.

That being said, I'm sure many more sequels of The Secret will be teaching these laws.

Beloved all these Laws and teachings can also be found within my favorite book The Bible. Yes our Beloved Christ Jesus taught in parables and was the way-shower to these Laws which were created by God.

I will admit I did not know much about the Emerald Tablet until I researched it, and after this explanation, I will show you how The Bible teaches the same.

It is sad to me that the modern church hurt and wounded so many of us, that we had to search different paths and turn from what our heart knew was true.

I'm here to tell you that is The Secret resonates within you, but deep inside you want to also know it's within God's kingdom, it is and I will gladly show you.

The Emerald Tablet

An introduction to Hermetic Philosophy
The text of the Emerald tablet is brief- only thirteen lines- but it is the cornerstone of the Hermetic movement. The origin of this mysterious text is shrouded in antiquity, and even its name is a mystery, yet is has been an inspiration for alchemists and magicians for hundreds of years. The well known Hermetic axiom, "As above, so below" is derived directly from the Emerald Tablet. It may be the oldest Hermetic text known, predating both the Corpus Hermeticum and the Christian religion.

The Tablet languished in relative obscurity until the middle ages, when it began to circulate throughout the alchemical community through contact with Muslim mystics. Scholars believe the original was written in Greek, but the oldest surviving copies are Arabic translations. Despite its mysterious origin, many have imputed great significance to the text- its famous translators include Roger Bacon, Isaac Newton, and even HP Blavatsky.

The philosophical ideas contained within are profound- influencing medieval alchemists, Jewish kabbalists, Masons, and ritual magicians alike.

Without lie, certain and most true:
What is below is is like what is above, and what is above is like what is below, to accomplish the miracle of the One thing.
The introductory stanza introduces the now well known concept of the macrocosm, or world of divinity, and its relationship to the microcosm, the world of matter and of man, and the union between them, as described by mystics throughout history.

In truth, and without Lie, And just as all things have been from the one, so also they are born from this one thing by adaptation.
This line describes a very kabbalistic world view: that of emanation. In Kabbalistic cosmology, all of creation emanates in ever expanding layers of complexity, yet all are at the same time part of an unknowable, limitless power. The nature of God is considered impenatrable, for every attempt to describe or name something imposes limits upon it, and seperates that thing further from divinty. There is also an eerie parallel to the current scientific cosmological model- beyond the veils of exitence and before the first emanation is the no-thing- the limitless light, or ain sof, which contracted into an infinite point to effect the creation of the universe.

Its father is the sun, its mother the moon. The wind has borne it, its nurse is the earth. This one thing is the father of all things in the universe.

This reflects another kabbalistic formula. "It" in this case refers to the perfected or reborn psyche. The Mother moon is Yesod, the ego, the sphere of reflection and illusion. The Sun is tiphareth, the 'Higher self,' which can be likened to the 'first face' in Buddhism. It is the immortal spirit. The wind is the divine breath, the spiritual life force. The earth that nurses it is the material body, the id, our animal nature.

Its power is perfect, after it has been united with the earth.
This refers to the experience of Divine Union spoken of in mystic tractates the world over. This union is achieved by uniting the divine essence with the physical body. It is the aim of Yoga, the goal of Ritual magick, and the essence of Satori.

Separate earth from fire, the subtle from the dense, with gentle heat and much devotion.
One must learn to diferentiate between the things of matter and things of the spirit, between the yearnings of the soul and the desires of the ego- the gross appetites and vanities must be sifted out to reveal the true self beneath.

In great measure, it ascends from earth t

March 26 2007 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kunikos

This is even more stupid than the "power chanting" that Tina Turner did...

March 19 2007 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

I purchased "The Secret Dvd" after seeing Oprah's show. I watched it with apprehension, wondering if somehow all this was tied into Satan somehow. I sure didn't get a godly feeling from it. Especially, when God wasn't mentioned but one time and he was only used as a comparision. I didn't care for it when they spoke about thanking the "Universe upon awakening" instead of thanking "Our God". They also stated that we attract and ask for negative to come to us. Even a car accident that is not our fault we deserve in other words. I don't beleive that. Of course people have their own opinions and this is mine. I think I wasted my money.

March 08 2007 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbie daks

fantastic, two great australian sisters that have been brave enought to get up and say what we all know deep down inside, thank you fantastic Oprah for getting behind these girls, the world could all use a shake up and we can all do with thinking in a more positive way, we have to believe to acheive. from another ausie girl.

February 28 2007 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

This is just another form of humanism that the humans naturally love. Tell me what I can do to connect to the world and become one with the world - and I will achieve whatever I set my mind and body to. Although there are some helpful principles involved it, it is neither Biblical nor Christian. Even the principles of forgiveness are framed in self fulfillment and self centered motivations. Paul emphasized human weakness and sin - not human potential. He emphasized forgiveness by the grace of God in Christ. Read Romans 8. But, those of you who of course hate Paul and the Bible can eat this stuff up and be falsely filled with yourself. These books never seem to do much good for those who have no earthly "potential" because of physical limitations of disease. Salvation in Christ does - regardless of your physical impairments and temporal success factor.

February 27 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Salvatore

There is only the unknow or, if you like the Unknown. There is no god (God) or son of god...or we are all sons of god...yes, I get it - or daughters.

So relax & enjoy...

Salvatore

February 27 2007 at 6:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula Quick

I actually have no problem with the teachings of "The Secret." We all know that "the secret" is really nothing and new and has been known or taught for 1000s of years. I agree that the real coup or "secret" is how the whole thing has been marketed. That is a case study all unto itself and I think the next book should be on the marketing of "The Secret." Beyond that my main concern that at no point is "God" mentioned (or Allah or Buddha or whomever). It's all Universe, Universe, Universe. I do not seek a relationship with the "Universe." In my particular tradition, I seek a relationship with God. In a society falling apart because of a lack of moral compass (look at the Hollywood starlets out of control), there are times when you need more than just the "Universe" to help you, you need God. I'm concerned that despite the popularity of the DVD and the book, people will still find something lacking in their lives and this "Universe" thing just takes them farther away from the real source. Just my opinion. www.theuncertainentrepreneur.com

February 25 2007 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

Right, this information IS NOT A SECRET as each person with common sense knows this information. Your first grade teacher told you can be anything you want to be, if you put your mind to it...Just read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

Instead of scamming people out of their money, this incredulous Rhonda Byrne should be giving this information away for FREE and she loses all credibility for stealing someone else's work (Taken from a 1940's book) and marketing it as her own discovery. I don't have a problem with the ORIGINAL author's theory, my problem with this Rhonda Byrne trying to profit from it...

February 19 2007 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

I guess they're saving the lesbian "secret" for May sweeps.

February 19 2007 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billy Mabray

I watched their little movie a few months ago. So not worth the five bucks. It's 90 minutes of your life you'll wish you had back.

The best part was the old guy that compared the law of attraction to electricity:

"How does it work? Nobody knows. Just like nobody knows how electricity works. I don't, do you?"

Well, yes I do! A lot of people do. Third graders know how electricity works.

I believe in the power of positive thinking, but as a way to motivate ones self, not as a force of the universe. Wrapping it in pseudo-science just smacks of hucksterism.

February 19 2007 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply