April 20, 2014

Nip/Tuck gets three more seasons on FX

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 19th 2007 9:03AM

Julian McMahon and Dylan WalshFantastic news here. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ryan Murphy and FX have reached a new deal which will keep him around for three more seasons of the acclaimed plastic surgery drama.

Up until now, the possibility of a fifth season was only speculative, but now we've got guarantees through a seventh season. Will the seventh be the last for Doctors Troy and McNamara? Who knows, but as it stands right now, The Shield will end on seven seasons. I'd like to see Nip/Tuck beat it. That could be years from now though so let's focus on the rest of the good news surrounding Nip/Tuck's renewal.

There had some murmur that Murphy was near done with Nip/Tuck. His film career was taking off. He recently wrote and directed Running with Scissors. So I can't imagine that it was easy for FX to lure him back, especially if you base that assumption on the eight figure contract he received (it's the biggest in FX's history).

With Murphy on board for the long-haul, we've got a lot to look forward to. First up? Season five will be 22 episodes long. As exciting is that is, I have issues with it. Normally, a cable series only gets 13 to 15 episodes per season. Now that we've seen how FX handled The Shield's extended fifth season (it got split and the second half "became" season six), I just hope they don't do the same thing and instead air the 22 season five episodes of Nip/Tuck consecutively.

Overall though, I really can't complain. As a huge fan of this show, it's great to know that the man who started it will likely be around to finish it in the same voice. For a show that you love, you can't ask for better news.

Thiago

I'm actually thrilled to know that we are going to have 3 more seasons to seat in front of a TV to watch something of such quality as Nip/Tuck has been proven to be.

May 17 2007 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jasmine

I am totally in love with nip/tuck Julian McMahon will give me something to look forward to this season thanks fx for putting it through for 3 more seasons

April 25 2007 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mandi

Supposedly the next season airs the beginning of September????

April 22 2007 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marisha

....does anyone when the new season starts?

April 19 2007 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marisha

I am SOOO excited there are going to be 3 more seasons!!!!!!!!!

April 19 2007 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheila

Ok, With the lack of good tv on th air it's great to hear that "nip/tuck" will continue! Has anyone heard anything on "Rescue me"? Another show I love which seems to have been put aside by "Dirt" ... which by the way I can't seem to get into. Sorry to those of you that enjoy .. I can't sit thru an entire episode.

March 20 2007 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

hey i was just wondering when the new season starts?

March 07 2007 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

The problem with Nip/Tuck is that you can only say swear words and show simulated sex so many times before it becomes cliche...How many times do we need to see Christian's flabby hairy white ass? With the additional seasons, Murphy and the writing team will have a great creative challenge trying to come up with fresh, new ideas to create more shock value.

February 19 2007 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

The only reason The Shield's season got mucked up was The Fantastic Four 2 movie. Without it there would have been a normal schedule.

February 19 2007 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matriculated

Wow! Three more seasons? It'll be interesting to see what direction the show is going into because of all the changes in the last season. I wish they hadn't relocated to LA - I liked the Miami backdrop. LA will probably mean more celebrity cameos (hopefully as themselves).

February 19 2007 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply