July 23, 2014

The Amazing Race All-Stars: I told you less martinis and more cardio

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 19th 2007 12:58AM
kentucky; amazing race
(S11E01) I couldn't believe how much of this episode was spent just on the intial drive to the Miami airport. It wasn't really that stressful, nor was it a turning point in the race. It was just gratuitous video of Mercedes station wagons driving on different Miami freeways. Bo-ring. I think the editors had to do that because the Detour ended up being too easy. The farmers wrangled the horses for the teams and tied them down. The shears must've been pretty sharp because everybody seemed to get the hooves and hair off with no problem- in fact, we only saw one or two teams actually do the challenge because it was so lame.

This week our racers only went to one country: Ecuador.

[SPOILERS BELOW]

Kevin & Drew [10]: Season 1. Both got married and gained some weight. Did you notice the time that Drew gave up on this race? It was when Charla beat him to the cars at the very beginning. He didn't say so (or maybe he did say something but it ended up on the editing room floor). I don't know what he was thinking when he signed up to do this race again. He knows there's a lot of running and energy required! He did nothing but bitch and moan. I really wanted them to be eliminated. I don't see them making it very far this season.

Rob & Amber [1]: Season 7. Married 1.5 years. Ah... the couple we love to hate. I can't help but root for these two because Rob is so relaxed as he works other teams into a fit by being such a slimeball. I just want them to stay in this race for as long as possible because they're just too entertaining. Plus, they must pray to some reality television show God or something because they always get the fastest drivers!

Uchenna @ Joyce [7]: Winners from season 7. Still haven't had a child (in vitro failed). These two are my sentimental favorites. I remember crying with Joyce as she had her head shaved in India. But this time around they seem like they're already second-guessing their decision to race. They seem tired and slow compared to the others. Is it because they already won $1 million? I remember last time they were searching for something to hold their marriage together, and they say they're doing it again. I don't think what they need is on The Amazing Race.

Dustin & Kandice [6]: Season 10. Beauty queens. These two don't seem to have their game faces on... not like they did last season. Their elimination last season seems like it still is upsetting them and they're already struggling. Maybe they're tired? I was rooting for them in season ten and I'd be rooting for them again if they'd wake up and play the damn game.

Joe & Bill [5]: Season 1. "We're two gay grandpas." We didn't see much of Joe & Bill. They must not say much during the race because the camera only cut to them with worried looks on their faces.

Charla & Mirna [8]: Season 5. Cousins and fan favorites from the whole series. For a while it looked like these two were going to be eliminated because they went to the South entrance of the park in Ecuador. Luckily, another team made the same mistake and it turned out to be fatal for them. I think Mirna came into this season with a little too much confidence in herself. She and Charla have probably received a lot of attention since appearing in season five. Of the two, I find Charla much more appealing. Mirna is a little on the annoying side.

David & Mary [9]: Season 10. Kentucky! I couldn't believe Mary lied to the beauty queens straight off the top of the show! She learned how to play dirty. I loved how these two were starstruck by all the other All-Stars from the race. I would like them to stick around for a while but they're much slower than the others and there's no "six pack" to help them along. P.S. I put a photo up on this post to show you Mary's t-shirt, which is a shout-out to the Cho brothers--their saviors--from last season.

Teri & Ian [3]:
In season 3, they placed 2nd by less than 2 minutes. These two bicker a bunch but we weren't treated to much of it during tonight's episode. They are great racers and fearless in a vehicle though so I'm sure there's plenty of Teri & Ian in our future. P.S. Was Ian's outfit during testimonials an homage to The Crocodile Hunter, or what?

Oswald & Danny [2]: Season 2. "Plutonic husband and husband." We didn't get to see these two very much, either. They made some great jokes about wanting to be a hairdresser during the Detour but that was about it. They're a good, strong team though with few issues that we can see so they'll probably be around for a bit.

John Vito & Jill [ELIMINATED]: Season 3. These two used to be dating but they've broken up and remained friends. Jill is really intense. I thought her face was going to explode in the Miami airport when she was ordering tickets to Ecuador. These two got bad directions from some guy and ended up on the wrong side of the park where the challenge was. I really would've rather seen Drew & Kevin go but they're probably next.

Eric & Danielle [4]: Season 9. Didn't race together before, but hooked up during season 9. Didn't see much of these two. If they stay in the game for a while we'll get the usual couple issues of one person being offended when the other one gets frustrated. These two haven't been dating for too long so it could get ugly. I liked how Eric plowed past Uchenna & Joyce on the way to the challenge- nice four wheel driving!

Best line from John Vito: "I've had enough of Rob & Amber. I think America has also."

Promo

Thanks for the validation Jackie!

And I didn't even notice the lack of a Roadblock. You know, there was one season where there were photos of a totem pole Roadblock, but it was cut out of the episode. I wonder if the producers edited the Roadblock out to devote more time to the personalities of the teams?

(sorry if this was a double-post)

February 20 2007 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

I'm a huge fan who has blogged about the show for years now. Last night's one-hour premiere (when past seasons were at least 90 minutes or two hours, yes they were) and the lack of a Roadblock made the show seem a bit lacking to me. I didn't have the adrenalin rush going. Oh, but I'll still watch and write about it.

February 20 2007 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

Last night's show was just okay. For one thing, we pretty much know all the racers, although a few I had trouble placing. I don't remember season 1 or 3 at all. And last night's challenge was just okay. It seemed more difficult to get to the challenge. The was one telling comment by Rob and Amber about wasting three hours with the "retrieve it" challenge, which I hope they didn't really spend that much time, otherwise they must have been way far ahead of everyone else.

Thing is, celebrity editions are usually ho-hum at best. I much perfer editions where I get to know the people, instead of revisiting people I've already seen. I suspect this season will go down as well as the family edition, where I lost interest mid-way through.

I'll give it a couple of more shows to see how it plays out.

February 19 2007 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gt

when will cbs learn not to put good shows on sunday nights? they ALWAYS have sports go over, and thus my tivo misses the end. either overestimate the sport timeslot or move the show to a better night

February 19 2007 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heyLA

Angela = Joyce

February 19 2007 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heyLA

Envy doesn't look good on anybody.

February 19 2007 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heyLA

Amazing Race is only a hour length show. It's only two hours for finale.

As far as divorceville for Uchenna & Angela, I doubt it. Laura, you must be jealous cause them as couple are a paramount to look at. Very loving and they don't argue. Laura you need to get you a man or a woman cause you're jealous. Envy doesn't look on anybody. Get yourself better and you can be happy cause obviously you got too much time on your hands to be hating on a couple that doesn't act the way you see it. You got issues!

The long drive they made it seem to airport was over drawn. It doesn't take the long to go from Coconut Grove area to the airport. Anyway, I'm glad to see the show is back. The New york brothers.... the tall one is such a baby. He destroyed that Suzuki front wheel and anxle. Should he have to pay? They seem so clueless.

February 19 2007 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kira Richardson

Go Rob and Amber... I for one don't love to hate them... I love to love them. Rob is the best competitor out there. He's not a slimeball.. he's just smart and competative and not afraid to play all out. I hope they eat the competition for lunch.

February 19 2007 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Charla and Mirna Fan Favorites? says WHO? i couldnt stand these two on thier season!They were rude, the one uses her spanish "accent" too much " Rapido rapido" (emphasis on the rolling R) the little one also wants everyone to see beyond her midgetness, yet used her "disability" to get onto planes first, unexcusable. PLUS if you cant drive a stick, and know that the Amazing Race uses Stick alot...learn how! Argh i hope they go home next.
Uchena and Joyce..heading for divorceville, maybe they havent had kids for a reason, and hello? adoption is an option or did joyce forget her trip to africa already?
I want Rob and Amber to win, not only because they are the strongest couple but because they have thier game together, and besides everyone else is gunning for them.

February 19 2007 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Promo

I was just disappointed that we only got a 1 hour episode. I am used to at least a 90 minute ep, and used to be, it was 2 hours.

Glad to see Ian brought his flap-hat back. Ugly hats really help teams stand out.

February 19 2007 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply