October 31, 2014

The Simpsons: Springfield Up

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 19th 2007 11:20AM

simpsons(S18E13) I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it -- for the most part, this week's episode was "just okay" in my opinion. It was nice to see Eric Idle return as the snooty muck-raking journalist Declan Desmond (first seen in the episode "Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky"), but the episode felt like two different episodes battling for the same thirty-minute space.

I always enjoy it when the writers come up with ways to incorporate all the secondary and tertiary characters into an episode ("22 Short Films About A Springfield" is a good example), but this one tried to tack on the bit about Homer being depressed with what he's become in life, leading he and his family to take over Burns' summer home and pretend it's their own.

One of my minor beefs with these latter day Simpsons episodes is that I don't think they always earn the emotional pay off for which they strive. In this episode we spend a lot of time learning about those who grew up in Springfield, but Homer's story is also wedged into the mix -- it seems the episode should have just been about Homer feeling depressed about his life, or a lighter episode focusing on all the resident of Springfield.

I'm not saying the episode was a complete write off, because I think it was still funny, just a little thinner than I come to expect from this series. Nevertheless, I loved Homer's "open casket caricatures" and Frink's invention of the "'eight-months-after' pill." Also, we finally know of the insane cat lady's origin: who knew she went to Harvard medical and Yale law?

dreamkatcha

Who was the kid who nicked off with Prof. Frink's time machine? I bet he makes a subtle cameo re-appearance in a future episode.

February 20 2007 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Shutterbuggery.

Come on that's funny!

February 20 2007 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

Bah. I was beaten to explaining the parody.

February 20 2007 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

Nobody mentioned it, so I'll go ahead and note that this was a spoof of the British documentary series Seven Up (and Seven plus Seven and 21, etc). The Declan Desmond character is better described as a filmmaker than a journalist.
Anyhoo, not super funny, but gave me some good giggles and I agree that the cat lady was probably the best part. God bless Tress MacNeille for the work she does.

February 19 2007 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C

yes, the origin of the crazy cat lady was the best.

i liked the episode, it was a lot better than Family Guy.

February 19 2007 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

How many different origins for all the characters do we have? How many different ways have Homer and Marge gotten together? That's the problem with 18 years of TV show, you either repeat or you contradict yourself. Happens.

And the cat lady bit was by far the funniest part of this one

February 19 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Wasn't Moe also an immigrant with a thick foriegn accent as a kid?

February 19 2007 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wild Bill

How many different Moe origins do we have now? At one time wasn't he a Little Rascal? Or a boxer? Or a bartending school drop out?

February 19 2007 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yayaja

The Cat Lady bit was my favorite part of the episode. I did not see that coming at all.

February 19 2007 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply