April 23, 2014

Celebrities + drunk driving = news?

by Paul Goebel, posted Feb 20th 2007 10:29AM

Bearded Mel GibsonThis week Ray Liotta was arrested for drinking and driving. With so many stars getting taken in for DWI's it makes you think that maybe Hollywood is suffering from a severe alcohol problem. But upon closer look, it's clear that folks like Ray Liotta, Nicole Richie and Mel Gibson enjoy paraphrasing the popular bumper sticker... They get drunk, they drive, their expensive lawyers and publicists get them off the hook and do damage control...no problem!

At the risk of inflaming our readers, let me go on record as saying drinking and driving is bad. Bad for the victims, bad for the perpetrators and bad for those of us who have to pay high insurance premiums because of someone else's mistakes. All of that aside, what always amazes me is why the "legitimate" media insists that a celebrities drinking and driving is so newsworthy; they have to report on it from beginning to end.

Was anyone really surprised when Nicole Richie got busted? Doesn't Ray Liotta have a bad reputation already? Now that Lane Garrison is no longer on Prison Break, why should I care about anything he does?

Having known people who have been convicted of drunk driving, it really pisses me off when someone gets special treatment after a night of partying. And while I don't fault these celebrities for doing whatever they can to "get off," I resent the press for shoving it in my face. I love to see a celebrity meltdown as much as the next guy and while Mel Gibson's racist rant is definitely worthy of a headline, the legal particulars are not.

Now before you comment, I realize that my complaining will do little to make a difference in the behavior of the media, but can I at least make a request? When the day comes that I get arrested for whatever I shouldn't be doing, cut me, my family and the rest of America a break and talk about some real news that day.

bad driving

Here's an app that lets you vent your road rage and rate bad driver online.http://www.driver-ratings.com/

May 30 2011 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

"Its illegal in most of the country to drink a beer and a half at dinner if you're a man, and possibly less than one drink if you're a woman. Why do bars have parking lots?"

Oh, boo-hoo. It's called being responsible. you can have a drink and drive but don't draw attention to yourself. The funny thing is, after 2 drinks most people begin to act like fools. They lose motor control, drop logic and get an inflated ego. Common sense: you drink, drive like a saint.

February 20 2007 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VitoTheTiVo

The real news is that the MADD nazis have made DUI laws in this country stricter and stricter. Granted, most of these celebrities were out of their minds drunk, and deserve to have the book thrown at them. But MADD will use these cases as an excuse to toughen up laws because there is "an increase" in DUIs. Then when the laws are stricter, there will be even more DUI cases, and they'll push for stricter laws. They're inching towards prohibition, and no one notices because no one pays attention until they get a DUI (or are a lawyer) and then afterwards no one wants to listen to a "drunk". Its illegal in most of the country to drink a beer and a half at dinner if you're a man, and possibly less than one drink if you're a woman. Why do bars have parking lots?

February 20 2007 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

not news. ditto for sports figures. not sure why this crap makes the news. i don't care that dominic rhodes was arrested for drunk driving. makes no difference who he is...

February 20 2007 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Interesting use of the word "when" - not "if" :-)

February 20 2007 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply