Lost audio podcast recap: February 20, 2007
ABC just released the newest Lost audio podcast, which was once again hosted by executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. The podcast features a short interview with Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond), details about "Flashes Before Your Eyes," and information about "Stranger in a Strange Land," which airs Wednesday night. Here's what we learned:
- Henry Ian Cusick considers Desmond to be a quieter, less conventional hero. He also prefers to be called Ian.
- Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse admit that Desmond's episode was not a "flashback" in the traditional sense. Desmond was allowed to make choices within his own past, but was course-corrected by Fionnula Flanagan's character (the woman in the jewelry store).
The events in Desmond's non-flashback originally took place in 1996 (as opposed to when he revisited them after the fail-safe was deployed).
- Desmond will have genuine flashbacks in later episodes.
- There may be real-life consequences for the changes that occurred in Desmond's "flashback," such as Desmond getting hit instead of the bartender.
- In response to a fan's question, Lindelof and Cuse made it clear that, at the time of the "flashback," Desmond had not yet served in the military. Mr. Widmore's question about military history and Desmond's passing by a military recruiting station may factor into his decision to join the military later in life. This will likely be explained in another flashback episode.
- Another fan noticed that the military recruiting poster used the American spelling of "honor," as opposed to the British version (honour). This was a production mistake; the events were actually set in England.
- Danielle Rousseau knows more about the island than she has revealed to the crash survivors. Rousseau may get her own flashback episode in Season Four (or she may appear in someone else's flashback).
- Contrary to certain fan theories, the X-rays that Dr. Alpert showed Juliet in "Not in Portland" were not Juliet's own X-rays.
- Penny's role in the show's mythology and the deployment of the fail-safe were planned well in advance. The results of the fail-safe (Desmond's abilities) were not planned as early.
- The teddy bear carried by one of the Others in "...And Found" is not intentionally connected to Peter Pan.
- The claim that "Three big mysteries will be revealed" in the "Stranger in a Strange Land" episode may be an exaggeration. Lindelof and Cuse believe that one big mystery (Jack's tattoos) will be explained, along with two smaller mysteries.
- Bai Ling guest stars in the newest episode, in which viewers will find out the fate of Cindy, the flight attendant from Season Two.