July 23, 2014

Jericho: The Day Before

by Paul Goebel, posted Feb 21st 2007 9:05PM
Jericho(S01E12) Jericho returns to the schedule this week with a new episode that shows us what happened just before the bombs dropped. This episode lends credence to those who compare Jericho to Lost, mainly because Jericho's flashbacks don't answer any questions either.

In the first scene we find out that Jake (Skeet Ulrich) is a licensed pilot and he's in desperate need of a job. Doesn't he know there's plenty of money to be made as a Johnny Depp impersonator?

We're also given a peek into the history of Robert Hawkins (Lennie James) and his "family." Apparently, Hawkins had a girlfriend who, like him, was very involved in impending Armageddon. Most importantly, it's made clear that Hawkins is not the type of person to be trifled with.

For the two of you who actually care, there's all kinds of back story between Emily (Ashley Scott) and her fiancee, um... whatshisname.

Also, we get to see how Stanley (Brad Beyer) and Mimi (Alicia Coppolla) first met. Big surprise, she was a total bitch. I heard her character was originally more likable but producers had to change that when the actual IRS insisted Mimi be a more realistic character (i.e. evil soul sucking vampire).

Then there's a revealing discussion between Johnston (Gerald McRaney) and Gail (Pamela Reed) about how Johnston was considering not running for Mayor and backing his son, Eric (Kenneth Mitchell) for the job. Ah the irony of reverse foreshadowing.

Before the end of the episode, we're all brought up to speed with a reminder about how a group of refugees arrived in town including Emily's fiancee. Lastly, right before the credits roll, it's revealed that another refugee is Hawkins' lost girlfriend.

Sadly there are no flashbacks about the ruthless survivalists or the evil clique of teenagers. I can only assume that it was impossible to distinguish between the two.

What I liked about this episode is what I like about Jericho as a series. Life is hard enough, what with bad marriages, unplanned pregnancies and debilitating illnesses. How much harder is your day-to-day after every major city in America is destroyed?

Tom

This is the first episode of this show I have watched. I kind of enjoyed it. From my perspective, it kind of felt like a series premier. Now I have to decide if I want to keep tivoing it or not. Do I care enough about these characters to start from the beginning (or even to seek out episode summaries online) to catch up? This shows comparisons with lost scare me away quite frankly. I am sick of lost and don't want to commit to a show that is supposed to be mysterious and unravel slowly. Maybe I'll record next week, but I won't set a series recording just yet.

February 26 2007 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold_War_Relic

After watching last week's episode, I've come to the conclusion that Hawkins was/is part of a high echelon elite part of Ravenwood. It was mentioned that Ravenwood supplies arms to anyone, thus already causing global strife. Why not shake things up to the next level and nuke a dozen American cities?

February 25 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VitoTheTiVo

He's not a fed. And he was probably surprised by New York cause it was probably supposed to go up.

The time on Jericho is all f'ed up. The screen read 24 hours before the bombs and it was clearly dark out. Which doesn't really make sense on any level whatsoever.

February 22 2007 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

Good Episode.
A Few Nit Picks:
What kind of vehicle has locks for the inside?
When does the President ever have a 8am televised speech? Especially before congress? It has to be 8am, because the sun would be down in Jericho at 7pm(CST).

It does worry me about Hawkins. If he's a Fed why he couldn't warn anyone else. He was surprised NY didn't get destroyed.

Next week looks good.... "Which President?"

February 22 2007 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shmirdawg

Great episode. I'm glad they are finally telling us about Jake's backstory. Somethings were kinda confusing. Why did he want the piloting job? What happened in Afghanistan? How did the Hawkins family get from D.C. to Jericho, KS in ~3 hours?!

February 22 2007 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

Great episode, though I did have some qualms about it. Hawkins family at the beginning of the season (or last season... whatever they're calling it these days) seemed to be a lot stupider in light of the new info they gave us here. He randomly kidnaps them and takes them to Jericho out of the blue the day before nuclear attack, but it wasn't until quite a few episodes in that she questions him of his forknowledge of the attack? You'd think someone would put the "kidnap from a major city by estranged husband+ major cities get nuked= estranged husband knew it was coming" equation together, like rightr after the bombs went off.

True there was a bit too much back story on Emily and Roger, but I think that's just a precursor to filler episode about the newly developed love triangle. (Kinda reeks of BSG) Though I can't complain of the extra screen time for Ashley Scott... I'd gladly live in a hole like Jericho for her too.

And back to Hawkins. Granted I was (am) a little inebriated when watching, but the opening scene showing his partial responsibility for the attack kind of blew me away. Hindsight, yeah, it should've been expected, and I'm usually good at foreseeing twists in plot like that, but holy crap did not see that coming. I figured he was just a good CIA/FBI/DIA/etc. agent with good (for once) intelligence that used it for his own self. Good twist.

The girlfriend being one of the refugees... eh. Seems a bit trite to me. But let's see where they take us.

Can you tell I liked this episode? To think, I almost passed on this show when it started strictly since in was on the crap channel.

I'll shut up now, and get back to the boozing. Cheers.

February 22 2007 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I'd forgotten all about Roger's ridiculous fake beard... just as amusing now as it was a few months ago (or however long it's been).

February 22 2007 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

I never thought I would be so into a show on CBS. Until Jericho came on the air, I instantly attributed CBS shows with wholesome programming and predictable storylines. While Jericho has moments of those things, the majority of the storyline is increasingly interesting. Good job CBS! Maybe they should have bought the rights to Daybreak instead of ABC. I bet they would have let the story play out..

February 21 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

This episode sure seemed to disprove Hawkin's position as a federal agent (after all, he didn't seem to warn anybody about the impending disaster but his ex-wife and kids). It also gave a strange twist to the apocolypse in general, as I had always been under the impression that it was carried out by a stereotypical foreign terrorist group (it related to the Presidential speech seen the moment the bombs went off). For all we know, the bombers could have been Ravenwood looking for business, as I never expected such a drastic entrance from them this episode. It'll be interesting to see just how this all gets wrapped up in the end!

February 21 2007 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leo

Glad to have Jericho back. Definitely one of my favorite new shows with Heroes and good ol' Lost. I am anxious to see where Hawkins and this new character will go. Does the whole "these are the men who will change the world" speech hint that this plot was perpetrated by a rogue faction of Americans? (It was on the day of a Presidential Address, possibly to ensure that the President would be killed in the blast of D.C.) And did Hawkins break from his group and not detonate his bomb or is he holding it for some unforseen leverage? He is by far the most compelling character on TV today I say. Can't wait for next week!

February 21 2007 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply