August 20, 2014

Friday Night Lights: I Think We Should Have Sex

by Brett Love, posted Feb 22nd 2007 8:30AM
Aimee Teegarden(S01E17) Well, they certainly are hitting all the hot buttons. The big sex episode is nothing new for a drama that deals with high school kids. Even though I knew going in that we would be traveling a familiar path, I was looking forward to it for the simple reason that we would get to see Tami Taylor's reaction. Connie Britton didn't disappoint. She continues to turn in one amazing performance after another.

The scene where she confronts Julie about having seen Saracen buying condoms was the highlight for me. It was a nice setup to the discussion she had with Eric later. With no real idea of what she was supposed to do, she just jumped right in. "I saw Matt Saracen buying condoms today." There's an icebreaker. By the end of it, she's so concerned, and so close to just losing control of her emotions. Great stuff. The interaction between Tami and Eric as they tried to deal with all of it was also very good.

"Well they're sure as hell not mine, so what would our 15 year old daughter be doing with these?" Eric was wound up so tight. I love the way they have built the story of this family. They aren't perfect. Tami comes right out and admits she has no idea what to do about Julie. Her resolution at the end to just have faith in Julie doing the right thing, and Eric coming around to her side was a nice scene. It all wrapped up nicely with the covert little, "Thanks for the talk." line too. Although, I am guessing here is still a discussion to have about that whole not actually going to her friend's house deal.

Away from the parents, there was some good stuff too. Julie's reaction to the whole thing was a little odd, approaching the whole affair as some sort of odd science project. Her little scene with Tyra was interesting. After the big blowup where Eric and Tami explained that Tyra was a bad influence, there she is telling Julie that she doesn't have to do this. Saracen reacted just as one would expect having seen the previous 16 episodes. A big ol' bag of unsure of himself nerves. I liked the way it ended, with him giving Julie the out. She seemed so relieved.

I think we have probably seen the last of Walt Riggins. The story has run its course and there really isn't a lot to be added. It did serve its purpose though, giving us a good understanding of why Tim is the way he is. And it served as a nice counter balance to what we were seeing with the Taylor's. The camera theft was a little obvious. Was there anyone that didn't think Tim was going to find the camera after he called out Eric on it? I could have gone for a little more between Eric and Tim when he returned the camera, but it wasn't bad.

This might have been my favorite part of Street's story so far. Hearing him tell Susan the story of how the accident happened, and how he has been dealing with it, showed some good growth for Street. Herc continues to be a good influence and it looks like the rugby team may be just what he needs. Time away from Dillon, his parents, and Lyla to just get a grip on everything and figure out who he is now. I do have to ask though, a tattoo in Sanskrit? I subscribe to the philosophy that you should never let anyone tattoo words on you from a language that you don't read and write. It's putting way too much faith in the kindness of others. Even if they are cute blond girls.

And then there is Buddy Garrity. We all saw that one coming. Heck, I think people that don't watch the show saw it coming. Somewhere in Albuquerque there was a guy watching Knights of Prosperity that just shook his head and said, "Buddy Garrity..." and he has no idea why. The altercation at the church is certainly going to play in to future episodes. I think the best part of the story was Eric's reaction. Before Buddy could even get the words out Eric was just as uncomfortable as everyone watching. And he shared the viewers sentiment when he told Buddy, "You're a stupid man."

Overall, another really good episode. I just like the Taylor's more and more with each installment. It leaves me thinking that maybe the show would have done better had it been sold on that angle. Rather than as an adaptation of that football movie, just a really good family drama.

MMM

The actress who plays Suzy the tattoo artist is Alexandra Holden. I recognized her from a few episodes of Friends. She was the college student who dated Ross. She was also in the movie Sugar and Spice and a bunch of other stuff.

April 09 2007 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JH

Does anyone know what actress plays Suzy the tattoo artist?

March 01 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I was a little surprised that Eric and Tami didn't try calling Julie's cellphone (when they realized she lied about going to Lois's house), but I guess that would have been a little too cliched.

My sis kept talking about how Tyra is such a bad influence (on Julie) and all I could say was "are you kidding?" I mean, sure, she didn't use to cut class and she wouldn't have been in the strip club, but Tyra did try to convince Julie that she didn't need to have sex with Matt. And maybe Julie can see just how lucky she is to have two parents who are there for her (like that time she was over at Matt's house, seeing how he had to take care of his grandmother and then came home and told her parents she loved them).

I'm not the biggest fan of Tyra, but she seems to be trying to be responsible despite her surroundings and despite the bad choices she might have made in her life. In last night's episode alone, we saw her tell Julie not to have sex if she didn't want to, go save Tim from getting beat up more than he did, and try to get her mom out of her funk. And after Tyra's mom confronted Buddy Garrity, as Tyra and her mom were walking away, Tyra was yelling at her mom "what were you thinking?!" Don't know if she meant the affair or the confrontation in front of *everyone* (the only people I didn't see was Landry, and Smash's family).

Tyra is a good example of what not to do, because she's been there and done that...

I too thought that Coach Taylor might have thought Tim's father hit Tim (when he was returning the camera). I'm puzzled as to why Tim went back to that bar to get beat up, but I suspect maybe it's because he was hurting so bad emotionally from his dad (and Tyra brushed him off too) that maybe he wanted the physical pain to dull the emotional pain.

I'm glad Matt and Julie didn't have sex. I *knew* that Matt wouldn't have gone through with it. One thing that did strike me was when Julie said that she wanted to do it now because then she could control the situation. Not only that, I think she also wanted to "regain" control over her life. Her parents had basically banned her from hanging out with Tyra. It's like with some anorexics - they feel like the only thing they can control is what they eat and what they don't eat. So maybe Julie felt this was the one thing her parents couldn't control. It felt very much like teenage rebellion, more than "love" for Matt.

February 22 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Student of The Game

To me the highlight of the episode was Eric not saying a word to Julie beyond "Are you all right?" It took unbelievable self-control, not to mention a ton of faith in his wife, to hold himself back when you just know he was dying to unleash fury. A significant moment for him as a father. Kyle Chandler showed amazing chops there, entering James Gandolfini territory by acting better saying nothing than most actors saying anything.

February 22 2007 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

I never thought I would say this when I started watching FNL but I think this is the best show on television now. The characters and their stories are just so engaging. That is what sets this apart from most other shows on now. It is character driven rather than plot driven.

It all feels so real when you are watching. You believe these characters can actually exist out there and you care about what happens to them. I agree that the Taylor's drive the show, and they should, but I enjoy all of the characters.

I really hope this show is brought back next year.

February 22 2007 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

It is a great TV show. The Coach and his wife are terrific in it. Connie Britton should be nominated for an emmy for her portrayal of Tammi Taylor.
Watching the coach and his wife stay up late thinking their daughter may be having Sex was spell binding. My heart went out to them.

February 22 2007 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvkey

There's a lot to like about this show. I would have to agree that the best part of this show is the interaction between the Taylor family. They are not you're typical perfect American TV family. Not only do they have flaws, they openly admit those flaws to each other. They are one of the most truthful families out there. Just about every time I think he/she is gonna lie to cover her/himself, they don't. They tell the truth and then they deal with it. It's a great dynamic.

I've loved Riggins from the start. I just hope this whole thing with his father doesn't send him back toward that downward spiral. You could see the concern on Coach Taylor's face when he saw Riggins at his doorstep. These guys are supposed to be tough athletes but we tend to forget sometimes that they're just kids. I'm looking to see the Taylor's become more of a foster family for Riggins and Saracen. Question: I wonder if Coach Taylor thought that Riggins' dad did that to his face. I would have.

February 22 2007 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

Matt and Julie bore the dead shit out of me so I fast forwarded them entirely. *yawn*

Loved all the Riggings drama though. That kid is what makes me coming back along with Eric & Tami.

I liked Suzy (liked the actress in several other things as well, very good casting there) and Jason. Herc continues to be a riot. Love the man. "After school special". Heh!

All in all, save the boring Matt/Julie stuff, very good episode.

February 22 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ping

We LOVE this show. My husband and son were first drawn in by the football, but it is now very much about the people. Our son is 20 yrs. old, and he doesn't want anyone to talk during this show - doesn't want to miss a word of dialogue! The acting is so good,love the characters, and this show always feels REAL. This was another great episode, although I'm not sure that you just "trust" a 15 year old. Our daughter is 26 and she watched with us last night for the first time, and I think she's hooked too!

February 22 2007 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chu

another great episode. Landry is so cool.

February 22 2007 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply