September 2, 2014

Jeffrey Sebelia's slightly disappointing post-Runway life

by Annie Wu, posted Feb 22nd 2007 7:04PM
Jeffrey SebeliaLet me just come right out and say it: Jeffrey Sebelia, winner of Project Runway Season Three, is making costumes for the Bratz movie. Is that really the glorious post-Runway life? The cocky persona that Sebelia took on all season certainly led me to expect him to spend his prize money and fame on jetsetting and more neck tattoos to decorate his massive, massive neck, but, as it turns out, he isn't doing as great as one might expect. Not only is he quite broke, but ... did I mention his post-Runway project is doing the Bratz film? I was quite furious with him when he was on the program, but this article has actually made me -- dare I say it -- sympathize. Maybe he should have taken the Jay McCarroll route and skipped the winning contract to do his own thing.

By the way, I had no idea Season Two's Santino Rice was the one who encouraged Sebelia to audition for the program, let alone the fact that the two are buddies. I guess that's where Sebelia learned that the "cocky bastard" act would pay off.

Related:
Project Runway's Jay McCarroll on Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn steals Bravo job from five queer guys

Gen

Jeffery was unpleasant on the show and He was HORRIBLE to Angela's mom....just becasue she was overweight. I was heartbroken at the way he treated her and realised as much as I liked some of his work he would never want to design for a woman like me becasue even though I dress very rock and roll -- I am overweight. Luckily there are places like Torrid for girls like me and I don;t need men like Jeff.

What I want to say is Jeff made it a point during the show to say he had been having very hard times before the show. Yes he head desigend for some "stars" so he says... but he also had a huge addiction problema nd had almost been homeless.

what's so bad about designing for a moive? At least he is getting paid.

So far Daniel V. is still my fav

February 24 2007 at 2:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
loveroffashion

jeffrey was interesting and somewhat talented but was definitely the least talented of the three. laura may have been an instigator but she had beautiful elegant taste and her things were definitely marketable. uli was adorable and had fun, unique fashions that were definitely marketable and the resort business is huge! you cannot blame jeffrey for the way he treated laura's large, unattractive mother. armani could not have made her look good. plus, she played dirty!

February 24 2007 at 2:08 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Good,for acting rudely to that contestant's mother, and for his generally odious persona. I wish him ill. Mike

February 24 2007 at 1:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
JohnJohn

GOOD!!! He was so gross to look at & to deal with every week! So completely ignorant & immature. He looked like a creepy turtle. So full of his unattractive self. Let him go design for crack whores. That's more his bad taste style!!!

February 24 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
marta

As an artist, I know what it's like to be opinionated, headstrong, rebellious... But given the opportunity, I would let Tim Gunn mentor me in virtually any aspect of life. His taste is impeccable, his conduct beyond reproach and his care & concern regarding the well being of the contestants warms my heart. Fashions & fads last only a moment. Tim leaves the best of impressions & could easily succeed in any arena. I imagine Tim could become a hit man and make it seem graceful. DON'T TRAMPLE ON MY TIM!

February 24 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
MarieLeveau

WOW....designing the costumes for a Hollywood movie is not exactly 'slumming'....I wonder how much that contract is worth? Probably MUCH more than most of the posters on here make.

February 24 2007 at 1:11 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Sara

Reading all these comments makes me realize that alot of stupid jealous people must watch project runway. I thought both Santino and Jeffery were brilliant designers.THEY knew it and you people knew it too. Why should they have to be humble about it? That girl's mother was a bitch to begin with. She was the one who was flat out rude and when your that much of a bitch not even the worlds top designer could make gold look good on you. Let's face it no one can make a dogs ass look too pretty. So until your designing is good enough for a TV show my suggestion to you jealous folks is too shut your fat face and start craming the cheetos in faster.

February 24 2007 at 12:34 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
EL

Jeffrey was unequivocally the best designer on that show. If you don't like his designs you have no place commenting on fashion. Why do you think Betsy Johnson has had such ENORMOUS success in the industry. It's about pushing the envelope. I would urge people to watch some runway shows where designers showcase their work. It is always innovative if it's good. You want boring, go shop at JC Penny. And about his asshole persona...everyone in the fashion business is an asshole. You have to be.

February 24 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Byrdie

Is anyone really suprised he isn't skyrocketing. His designs sucked. Any of the other 3 designers would have been better. Laura had classic designs Uni was funky and comfortable. And Micheal had fresh fun designs. BUT jeffery. His designs looked like traffic accidents remains. And besides who could get past his snarky cocky attitude to even apperciate his work anyway.

At least season 2's winner was able to make beautiful clothing that fits women beautifully She proved how amazing she could sew with amazingly fitted clothing. She was amazing and so was Daniel.

February 24 2007 at 12:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Karen

What goes around comes around. Karma, Jeffy.

February 24 2007 at 12:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply