September 22, 2014

CSI: Fallen Idols

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 23rd 2007 9:32AM

Jorja Fox as Sara Sidle on CSI.

(S07E17) Well it looks liked we're putting The Miniature Killer on hold for the time being... or are we? I have a theory but we'll get to that later. Instead, we got a regular, run-of-the-mill episode of CSI. The whole team working together on one case, just like the good ol' days. Pretty interesting story too. It actually reminded me a lot of that episode from the third or fourth season where the cheerleader got drugged, went a little crazy, and ended up eating pieces of flesh from her dead boyfriend's chest on a football field. Remember that one? This one felt very similar. Only difference was that this time around, cannibalism wasn't the operative "C" word. Crabs took the spotlight this time. Everyone had crabs.

Centered around a popular high school basketball player who apparently slept with anything that had a pulse, we got to see the inside workings of some jealous classmates as well as the outcome of the bi-polar teacher who loved the kid too. Freaky stuff. But not freaky in the, "I'm scared" sense. Freaky in the, "what the hell is wrong with you people" sense.

He loved her, she loved him, she got jealous, and they all got crabs. Apparently you can extract DNA from crabs and determine who someone has slept with recently. Good to know... I think. Everyone got their own sort of punishment for being such lousy human beings though. That one kid went to jail. The lying girl died from the brain hemorrhage. Basketball boy died after being pushed by his girlfriend, who was then hit by the jealous teacher who drove by and scooped up the body. Then she killed herself... on top of his corpse. See what I meant when I said freaky?

That was the episode in a nutshell. Like I said earlier, it really was great to see them team working together again on one isolated case.

Now here comes my theory, and it is far-fetched, but I think it makes sense. Ready for it?

What if Sara is The Miniature Killer? It would explain the killer's fascination with Grissom. They're romantically involved and we now know that a major concern of hers is whether or not Gil trusts her. He does. Enough that he'd let her shave his beard with a straight-edge razor -- something that requires sharp eyes and a steady hand. Hmm... the same skills you'd need to make small, accurate, replicas of crime scenes.

We know she's been disgruntled about the job in the past and even had a drinking problem, but what do we know about her personal past? Could she have been one of Ernie Dell's adopted kids in that old home video? That would explain why she seemed so against the idea of going to social services to try and ID all the children in the tape. I could be way off here, but it just seems that lately, Sara is being portrayed as extra creepy. What do you guys think? Is this a legit idea?

Nahla

I don't think that Sara is the Miniature Killer. I also believe that Sara and Gil belong together. They just seem to click like no other couple on TV. Hopefully Sara will sign a contract for next season.

April 27 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garlon

can anyone tell me who played the photography teacher in the "Fallen Idols"episode?

March 08 2007 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sara

The killer is not sara for a couple of reasons-1-she was in foster care in california not vegas-she had no ties to vegas until grissom called her there-2-she has empathy for the victims and that is her purpose in being a csi-to help not to hurt-3-yes her mother killed her father and she had a terrible childhood but that is what has made her the CSI she is-she wants justice for the victims-as for the relationship-it has been building since the 2nd episode-the relationship would have nothing to do with the cases they are working on unless evidence was manipulated

March 01 2007 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

Theories fro someone who stopped watching May 19, 2006:
The miniature killer as Sara - for all of the reasons listed above.
Just to add to the angst Sarah's brother is a possibility that may get dropped now that Benson on SVU has to deal with a rapist brother.
Since the OC ended and Melinda Clarke is out of a job they may bring back Lady Heather for another sweeps stunt and not only make her the killer but have her get off by reasonable doubt because the sordid Sarah/Gil tripe would poison any case they worked together on and taint any she worked on alone.

And yes spmsmith, I barely tolerate the actress and do not like the relationship so I stopped watching the show last May. I read the post thinking the creepy photo was a subtle subtitles entry.

March 01 2007 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARTY

WHERE IS THE LOVELY LADY HEATHER WHILE ALL OF THIS IS HAPPENING? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

February 28 2007 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I am not "into" the whole Sara/Grissom relationship. Was it the last season finale when they first showed them in bed together? For whatever reason, I found it sort of repulsive.

I'm not sure about the identity of the miniature killer. It will be interesting to see how it all finally plays out. It's hard to believe that they would introduce a new character that will turn out to be the miniature killer. I feel like it will definitely be someone the audience already knows, whether that person is a part of the team, a recent character on the show, or someone in the past... who knows.

I also found the scene at the end with Grissom and Sara to be especially creepy. The way they talked, "Do you trust me?" "Intimately..." I just have no other way to describe it except CREEPY. It was one of those moments that almost makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

CSI has me hooked again.

February 27 2007 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spmsmith

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh: Putting Grissom and Sara into a relationship is "soapy" and "out of character" and "over the top" and "jumping the shark"... but making Sara the frakking *Miniature Killer*, when she's always been adamantly against murder and empathetic towards victims, especially abuse victims... this is somehow not hokey or soapy or stupid in any way? Maybe not if it were on Ugly Betty, which skewers the soap-operatic elements of telenovelas quite brilliantly... but on CSI? Come on, now.

Methinks personally that there's a suspicious overlap between the "Grissom and Sara make me PUKE!" people and the "Please make Sara the Miniature Killer!" people.... I've got news for you: even if CSI did succumb to temporary insanity and made Sara the MK, Grissom is still not ending up with Catherine/Lady Heather/Sophia/Insert-Your-Choice-Here. It's a TV show. The card's been played. Get over it, or stop watching.

February 27 2007 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

ok, so this is probly nothing, but i think it implicates sara. in episode "Nesting Dolls" from season 5, sara explains her childhood past (where she tells grissom her mother murdered her father, and she was placed in foster care). not only does the episode name (nesting dolls) make refernce to the miniature crime scences (those unexplained picutes of dolls found in each crime scence) but it also tells us of sara's past, and that she was placed in foster care, perhaps ernie dell's. it just all fits. she even asks grissom in Nesting Dolls "Do you think there's a murder gene?" (her mother murdered her father)... finally in this episode "fallen idols" sara asks grissom "do you trust me" he responnds "intimately". so shes got her motive, she knows how to get away with the crime since she is a CSI, evidence points to an inside job and a anti social person, and most of all she has the trust of Grissom, what reason would he have to suspect her... no reason... i think if it is sara, this would make for an awesome story line.

February 26 2007 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

wow,, that was one crazy ass episode... ya i really got the feeling that its sara, at the end... then again we are probly all as wrong as hell... it would be pretty awesome if it was her,, i always wanted them to have a team member use what they know to get away with murder... if it sara, i hope she makes a miniature crime scene of a team member. if it were grissom that would make for the best story. im guessing this miniature serial killer story line will continue on untill the season finale

February 24 2007 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

You can extract DNA from crotch crickets, ticks, leaches ... anything that has eaten human blood ... provided that it has eaten human blood

February 24 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply