July 30, 2014

Survivor Fiji: It's not Survival, It's Thrival

by Deidre Woollard, posted Feb 23rd 2007 7:21AM
(S14E03) This season's concept is rapidly getting boring. Not just sort of pointless the way last season's was but boring to the point of making me wonder if Survivor has, at long last, finally lost its appeal for me. We've had underdog seasons before but when the underdogs aren't particularly likable and they are only underdogs because the game is rigged against them I have to wonder what the fun in this. There was not an element of tonight's game that held any sort of surprise or joy for me. Has Survior run out of twists?

Over at Moto they are painting their shelter. That's right, painting, and eating off plates. As Boo says, it's not survival, it's "thrival" and the second he says this I know it's going to be the episode title. After all, Ravu's too damn tired to be witty. It's death over there. Poor adorable Michelle is talking to the sun and praying for enough rays for power. It works, they make fire. Never has a team deserved it more. Simple fire makes everyone weep with joy. And if this were scripted then Ravu would be inspired at start kicking ass.

The reward challenge is like something from a child's birthday party, a slip and slide with a skee ball ending. And it looks like we have yet another nickname. Jeff calls Gary "Papa Smurf." Does everyone have to have a nickname this season? Sylvia is bad at this challenge as she is at every challenge. They'd need to have some sort of academic decathlon for her to do well in this game. Moto leads 5-2 and for the coup de grace, tiny Yau-Man squares off versus well-fed and muscled Dreamz. Once again, Moto wins and poor Sylvia gets sent to Exile Island again. Poor smarty can't catch a break.

At Moto Gary can't breathe. Medics are called but nothing really happens. It might be a bruised rib although he says he doesn't know where he is so that's pretty worrying. Maybe Survivor should have an age cap, it's no fun watching old dudes take sick out in the wilderness.

The immunity challenge is a food eating challenge. Ravu is excited because they haven't had a lot of food. Octopus and clam are pretty easy but then we get into the into the gross stuff like peanut worms. Mookie taunts Lisi which gets Boo all self-righteous. Rocky fires back that Boo should try living without food and water. I want so much for this Ravu team to just win one and it's frustrating when they hardly seem to want it. Earl does badly at the challenge letting Ravu catch up. Michelle doesn't even seem to swallow her fish eyes. It comes down to Anthony versus Gary and a tasty meal of pig snout. Anthony doesn't even come close to swallowing and Moto wins yet again. I feel bad for Mookie and Rocky who are tough competitors stuck on a losing tribe. Even if they are completely obnoxious they at least deserve to be with people who are playing hard.

At tribal once again Sylvia is just too honest declaring that she is not a clutch player. Anthony offers up his "no spit" defense for failing the tribe at the eating challenge. But it's no surprise that Sylvia is going home.

Next week: the leisure tribe turns to flirting...

Sully

You call this Survivor? Survivor Fiji , is a joke.. starve one team so that you can make them weak while the other team vacations and gets stronger. How can they not lose? This is the worst one yet! I think its time to switch stations.

March 09 2007 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

I can honestly say this year is getting boring!!!! I would rather watch American Idol which is on at the same time. Everyone knows RAVU is too weak to win any challenges. Come on, merge the tribes before all Ravu is gone!!!

March 02 2007 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JulietInCO

I'm a fan of the show but I can't stand when they combine the challenges. This gives them more time for the boring edited "talks" around camp. Mark, guess what? We have figured out that the person they are targeting at camp never gets voted off.

I do believe they are going to mix it up soon. They keep showing the rich team saying how wonderful things. I guess they have never seen an episode of Survivor. Or do they really believe they are above the others. Oh how the smug will fall (I hope).

March 01 2007 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GLORIA QUERY

Come on folks give the show a break. Mark Burnett and Jeff Probst surely have something burning in the kettle to give the show a boost! Survivor always gets beter and better as time passes. It's way to soon to judge the show. I know Mark burnett has something secretive to pull out of this season of Fiji to make the finale a great conversation piece!! Gloria Query

February 27 2007 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GLORIA QUERY

GLoria Query says, give the show time, it will start kicking and hopping real soon. Mark burnett has never let us down with his shows. I know Jeff Probst and Mark Burnett have something burning in the kettle to give this show a twist!!!

February 27 2007 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I have to think that the producers hoped at some point Ravu would rise up and overcome the adversity. If it doesn't happen, this is not going to be interesting at all. I'm having a hard time liking anyone on the show because the circumstances are overpowering. Have we gotten to know Edgardo? All that seems to come through are negative qualities when we do learn things.

February 23 2007 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

What is wrong with watching Palau Part Two, with this tribe disintegrating before our very eyes!

February 23 2007 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

I keep hoping the will add another twist to give the poor tribe something to hope for. The rich trip is way too smug. Let's hope for a merge real soon and individual back stabbing begins in earnest.

BTW, looks like thay can't wait to dump old Papa smurf right?

February 23 2007 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The premise of the "two islands" was supposed to be the losing team of a challenge (reward and/or immunity ; it was never made clear to me) is relegated to the loser's beach, and the winning team is rewarded by a stay at the winner's beach. But since Ravu has never won a single challenge, we haven't gotten to see that mechanism in action.

I thought the slip-n-slide challenge was fun. It was a nice change-up from other challenges, and was visually stunning for us men :D

February 23 2007 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

The Papa Smurf thing started I think last week or the week before - his tribe was calling him that.

I am guessing that the deliberate class distinction between the two tribes is leading to some sort of twist - that the two tribes will switch beaches at some point, or at the very least scramble. Survivor was pounded last season about the deliberate racial tribal makeup at the start, but it turned out great - Survivor was far fresher last season than it has been in a long while, and that controversy was long forgotten by the end. I think that this season has started off slowly, but I am thinking that it will get better over time.

February 23 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply