April 18, 2014

The OC: The End's Not Near, It's Here (series finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 23rd 2007 12:33AM

The OC -- Season 4 Cast

(S04E16) Does this count as the end of an era? I'm not sure. When The OC first began, it sure felt like the beginning of an era. Now that it's over, I'm not exactly sure what it's the end of. Other than something that I'm really, really going to miss.

I have to be honest. The first twenty or so minutes of this episode fell pretty flat for me. I really wasn't enjoying the six-month jump, only to find out that everything we thought we knew was no more. Julie was engaged to Bullit, Taylor was back in France, and Seth and Summer had become "comfortable." Nothing was right, and despite the fact that we all knew how this was going to end, I was a little put off by the way it started. But it picked up steam and by the episode's end, I was completely satisfied with the way it all turned out.

The majority of the episode was centered around the Cohen's peaceful invasion of a quaint gay couple's home. This wasn't any house though. It was Sandy and Kirsten's former Berkeley residence and it led to the basis for most of the story. From the birth of Sophie Rose Cohen to the non-marriage between Julie and Bullit, everything came full circle at the house that apparently started it all.

There were actually far too many small, but important, things to list that happened in this episode. It was chock full (in a good way) of nods to all sorts of things that played major roles in the show over the four season span. The Marissa locket, the return of the word "schmear," Summer giving her sage opinion of the five-season renewal of The Valley -- it was all there, even if only for a second. I was a little disappointed that people like Jimmy Cooper or Hailey Nichol weren't fortunate enough to receive a thread in this final story-line, but I can forgive that because the ending made up for anything else the episode may have lacked.

I suppose the ending is really all that does matter here. The rest of the episode was just build-up to that moment. The Cohens move to Berkeley, Seth heads off to RISD, Summer joins GEORGE, Taylor goes back to Paris, Ryan heads to college as well, and Julie finally takes her own advice and stays single.

Then there were the obligatory, tear-jerking, montages as Ryan walked through the Cohen house once more, recalling his first day there. Ending it on that final glimpse of Marissa as Sandy and Ryan pulled out of the driveway in the pilot episode was a nice touch too. A quiet reminder more than anything else, if only because Marissa really was forgotten about this final season.

But that wasn't all. Fast-forward ahead another four, maybe five years and we got all the answers we really wanted. Sandy became a law professor, Ryan and Taylor appeared to be back together, Julie got a college degree, and yes -- Seth and Summer finally got married. And since the montage I mentioned happened about five minutes before any of this, I was choked up throughout all of it.

In the end, Ryan achieved his dream. A college graduate who became an architect. It's fitting that the series ended on the same note that it started. Someone lending a troubled kid a hand. The whole thing is cyclical, as Sandy said earlier in the episode. What goes around comes around. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see another show as well crafted and culturally meaningful as The OC come around again any time soon.

Merissa

I am exactly like one of you guys, I was a late bloomer watching the O.C as well, only started watching it because MuchMusic decided to start playing the old episodes. I never understood why people were so obsessed with the O.C, but now I understand. Its extremely addictive, and you bond with every single character, especially Ryan and Marissa. It really ripped a part of me out when Marissa died, and the director tried to replace her with Taylor. It seemed like a cheap, quick fix, and there was no chemistry there. Their relationship seemed too perfect, and boring. Ryan and Marissa forever; they were the beginning of the OC, there would be NO OC with them. The ending was sad and extremely emotional. Just seeing Ryan reminissing about Marissa, made me ball. I will love you OC forever. I wish you'd come back.

November 25 2007 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zelda

My son had to be home on time every Thurs night so he would not miss an episode of the O.C. After it started airing on SoapNet along with One Tree Hill, I began watching, approx 2 weeks after it began on SoapNet. In the beginning I originally was interested in One Tree Hill, but I then found out that my son had the first three seasons of The O.C. on dvd (which I had previously got him for his b-day's and x-mas) and now they all regret reminding me because I'm hooked. Why did you end it, was it because you killed off Marissa or was it because you had no where to go once they're off to college? I just wish, even as a late blooming O.C.fan. that you could have found more ways to keep it going, in the end it reminds me alot of 90210, Ryan became a Brandon wanna-be with the watch and his short haircut and goody two shoes persona.Ryan was hot back when he had his hair just a little longer, hanging over his forehead.

May 07 2007 at 4:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hOTTIE

this sucks !! i really really loved the oc and then this happens!! i dont care what everyone says the final season rocks!! it doesnt even compare to the first one but ... whatever ... im gonna drink and forget ... hahahaha

March 28 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bidimast

I don't care what hell you say The OC was the best show ever and i cryed and cryed when it was sent away!

March 26 2007 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

I have not watched this show, but I wonder what "The O.C." stands for. Can someone let me know? Thanks. ... Anna

March 26 2007 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theresa

I can`t believe the oc went! I was so pissed off and i blame fox alot! One day i was thinking when the oc was over that 7th heaven was supposed to ahev its series finale and then they had it and a week after it was back adn on a differnet ch. y can`t the oc be l,ike that!1q I loved the oc and i started watching irt since the begining and through that whole episode i was crying hysterically. I ahda few girls come over and watch it with me adn the 2 out of the 5 cried through the whole thing and those were the people who watched it from the beggigning, never missed an episode. adn ahds all the seasons!! I will protest 4 this i love it so much!! FOX I HATE YOU U SUCK!!!

March 12 2007 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
monique

The last episode for me was very emotional. I own all 3 seasons of the o.c, but I didnt get to see much of the last. And when i watched the ending i felt like i lost a part of myself. I'm glad it turned out good.

March 09 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sami

Im so sad that it is over. like others i will be buying every season. I have watched the show from the start and i have never missed as episode. i was so sad when it went off and i have to admit i cried. i loved the show and it sucks that its over.

March 08 2007 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dunc

hey everyone... i think this episode was one of the best ever. the only thing that wasn't clear is the Ryan-Taylor situation. they just smile at each other in the wedding, but are they back togheter? are they just friends now? did she went back to France after the wedding? what happened? if someone has any idea please answer. thanks

March 04 2007 at 7:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
garthq985

i cant beleive they cancel the o.c but keep shows like survivor on.i will definately miss the show

February 24 2007 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply