American Idol lines up celebrity guests

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 25th 2007 7:01PM
gwen stefaniAmerican Idol has an impressive guest list of artists for the rest of this season. Guests include Tony Bennett, Bon Jovi, Barry Gibb, Jennifer Lopez, Lulu, Martina McBride, Peter Noone, Diana Ross, and Gwen Stefani. Looking at that list, it's pretty obvious there will be themes including disco, rock, pop, '50s, country, and lounge.

First of all, I'd love to see Diana Ross be a guest judge. I think her zanyness could rival Paula's and maybe even make Paula look sober.

I think the biggest 'get' is Gwen Stefani, who is on top of her game right now. I guess she knows where her fans are. There's no doubt (har, har) that Gwen's young fans are the same people who watch Idol.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though any of these celebrities will actually perform. Idol's press release lists the celebs as "coaches" and "guests". So... they'll be helping performers choose and prepare songs and probably also be guest judges. Performers scheduled for this season are former Idol contestants Carrie Underwood and Kellie Pickler.

TERRY

What was the name of the song that she sang with Akon?

May 12 2007 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I hope that Gwen Stefani's appearance on American Idol will help her latest album's sales (The Sweet Escape). It's kind of moved down the charts a lot, not like the rapid pace of Love Angel Music Baby. But I hope that she doesn't do the corny Wind It Up. The rest of the album is much better that that song, more catchy.

February 26 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

"Gwen Stefani, who is on top of her game right now"

Really? She is? With the yodeling song? That's hot? One more reason to listen to an iPod.

February 26 2007 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

About the celebrity guests, I'm really excited with their list! Especially Diana Ross and Tony Bennett, legends of their time and still performing today. I just got Diana Ross' new album today! Also, can't wait to see Jon Bon Jovi, who's a great performer and songwriter as well. And Jennifer Lopez and Gwen Stefani, who are more current artists and can get the show out of an oldies rut. They seem more focused on the performance part for the finalists. I hope that these singers will coach the artists rather than performing.

February 26 2007 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

I miss No Doubt. The only song I liked out of Stefani's solo career was What You Waiting For.

February 25 2007 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noah

I'm not much of a Gwen fan, but I'll stand up for her a little. She is getting back with No Doubt. She said that her last albums were just for fun and she intended to make them as poppy as possible. I have to give her props for just doing her thing and actually becoming an influence in the world of music, cause after you think about it, how many bands/artists/singers out there have borrowed either from No Doubt or Gwen's solo work? I could name quite a few. So I think these is a good move for Idol, because more than likely these people when they reach the top will probably be competing with Gwen.

February 25 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

I would LOVE to see Diana Ross on the show, as well!

February 25 2007 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

Her new drek is "Top of her game" ? I miss No Doubt honestly.

I think the guys should find a new singer and form a new band. They could call it "Without a Doubt" or "Doubtless"

February 25 2007 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply