September 19, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Dirty Hands

by Keith McDuffee, posted Feb 25th 2007 11:24PM
baltar's book
(S03E16) I have to be honest, I have no experience at all with unions, how they work or what it's like being involved in one. Even so, it wasn't difficult to feel something for workers who'd have to endure what the Tylium crew had to deal with for so long.

Usually an episode like this would leave me well disappointed, as there wasn't anything significantly advancing the story. I realize now, with the help of several commenters, that it's episodes like this that are working to help us get a deeper understanding of what's going on with the humans on these ships and especially with the main players.

Why didn't Adama just tell Tyrol that he'd get a sit-down with the President if he'd call off the strike, then continue on with his threats? It just seemed odd that Adama would be so harsh with his threats, then turn around and allow Tyrol a nice, peaceful meeting with Roslin. Then again, Adama certainly established his authority by coming down so strongly at the start.

I know I've said this before, but by far one of the most talented actors on this show is James Callis as Baltar. The scene with Chief was the best of the episode, especially when he demonstrates the true dialect he'd lived with for the earlier part of his live. What I don't get is how Baltar had access to a computer/typewriter to get that book done.

Random thought: Something I missed in an earlier episode that was shown in the "previously on" portion of tonight's episode -- Tyrol's mother was an oracle. I just found it as an interesting point when thinking back to when Chief miraculously located that temple within the mountain a few episodes back.

I'm near certain the lot of you will say this was a major "throwaway" episode, and I'm inclined to agree. Though it does help us gain a deeper understanding of what some of these characters are experiencing, it's likely a majority of viewers just don't care that much to be bothered with it. That's just the sad truth. (Jane Espenson co-wrote this episode, and so now I have to say to her: "forgive me.")

Oh, and wouldn't you know it that as soon as I said I'd incorporate the weekly podcast into this review, they've been late. In any case, I'll be sure to do that one they've started up on time again.

Current fleet population: 41,400

TeresaMac

I was very satisfied with this episode - how could you not be curious about what the rest of the fleet is experiencing, and how it would affect the main storyline? My husband and I have often thought that a show about the rest of the fleet, and how the destruction of their worlds, and constant stress they live under affect them, would be a good series. (actually, I've kind of thought it would suffer from lack of viper battles, but would still watch it!).

March 02 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Dorv:

Regarding your comments, our points of view are not so different. I liked your descriptive use of the term "BSG apologist" to illustrate your position. My commentary to Tom was an effort to put forward the afore-mentioned points to not only Tom, but to other frustrated fans as well. My hope was to induce more patience and appreciation for this excellent show that we know it to be.

Now I realize that you and I are fans of BSG for different reasons. But the important thing is that we are just that indeed...loyal fans in Battlestar Galactica's corner. I (also) thought that this weeks episode was pretty good, as I have elaborated in my first post. I am curious why you do not find Helo to be an interesting player. For me, Helo is the antithesis of the many other "marred" characters in the show. He offers that balance in the way of the lone, misunderstood outcast that deserves our support, rather than our scorn.

But that aside, it always makes me smile whenever you defend yourself for liking "Black Market". There is nothing wrong with that at all Dorv (not that you need my re-assurance). Perhaps that episode was simply a victim of bad timing for many fans. I'm sure others in the faithful share your appreciation of it. But I will one-up you in that regard......for example, I sometimes think I am the only one in the world who liked......"Enterprise".

March 01 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

So the folks on the fuel ship had been working there since BSG left Caprica? Certainly they would have had a "break" on New Caprica right?

March 01 2007 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

So, not only is Tom really not adding to the commentary here, he's also generally just being a douche bag. Thanks, really.

Tim-1: Seriously, my friend, if these comments had been made last week, the week prior, or during the 'Bulldog' episode, I'd feel that they'd be with justification. Instead, when it comes after this week, which Moore even calls the best of the so called run of 'fillers,' which again was well-written, well-acted, and well directed, then this guy really is just looking for something to bitch about. Look, man, nothing is perfect. But, if this guy wants to put BSG up on a pedestal for its first season, then it needs to be compared. Did this week's episode move more of the "continuing storyline" further along than say, 'Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down?' Yes, in the end, we saw seeds there that showed up later down the road, but how are we to know that we won't see the same things come from this weeks? I'm sorry if I'm framing my entire argument with you, and Tom, but again, as I said, he's being a douche (excuse me ladies who take offense).

I've stated, again and again and again, that I'm a BSG apologist. I'm the guy who liked Black Market. in fact the only episodes I didn't like were our recent trip into Helo's life, and 'The Capitan's Hand' (I think I got the title right), as it tried to make me care about a character I'd never even seen before. So, I'm upfront about like the show, regardless of what everyone else says. However, I recognize when the show is weak... Recently, even to Moore's admission (and he blames it more on the fact that major story lines were changed, some after particular episodes were shot, and not on the fact that they were 'filler episodes), some of the shows haven't worked as he'd liked.

BUT THIS WEEK WASN'T THAT WAY. Seriously... I mean, it wasn't Cylons and the Fleet in some epic space battle, but it was good television (To paraphrase Moore, if EVERY week was Cylons and the Fleet in some epic battle, then the show would get pretty damn boring). I'm sorry Tom, that you can't get behind it. As I've said (again, and again, and again) on the Studio 60 posts (and again, to paraphrase, or even quote, ESPN's Mike and Mike), 'Just Shut Up.'

March 01 2007 at 3:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Hey Doogla61920,

Seelix was introduced WAY before the airlock episode. We first saw her at the end of season one as part of Tyrol's team on Kobol. Aaron Douglas really liked her acting abilites (originally she was billed as "Tech #1) and actually adlibbed her characters name into shooting and it stuck.

February 28 2007 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doogla61920

Tom,

I'm assuming, based on your previous posts, that you're being facetious about knowing the difference between Neelix from Star Trek Voyager and the well-established minor character of Diana Seelix on BGS, so I won't dignify your attempt at humor with an answer.

February 28 2007 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Tom: I understand your frustration Tom. But relax... when it comes to tv shows we all have to take our turn in the barrel. Your disappointment in the series is really a compliment to the show itself, because BSG has that same hold over you that it wields over most of us, in that we just know....how good this show can continue to be. The problem (if I may guess) is that you feel betrayed by the writers when you perceive they do not follow up with the excellence displayed in former episodes. A very natural attitude. Your very frustration belies your love of the show. The fact that you are still watching is testament to that. I have my own preferences to be sure, but I try to look at the big picture when it comes to BSG. Try to accept these so-called filler episodes as a neccessary component to help build the show and inject history into the series. Like you, I prefer more engaging story arcs but If you keep an open mind you might learn to like some of these side stories in their own right. There is nothing at all wrong with critiquing a show. That is part of the process of idea sharing and communicative expression. You know Tom, this show will be done with in a flash anyway when you think of it. In tv nothing good lasts very long. Next year we get 13 episodes then (maybe) another season and thats about it. So savor it while you can for before you know it we won't even be able to talk like this again. I just thought I would lend you a thought or two in that I believe (like many others) that at its worst, this program is still better than most (and as long as it has a certain actress in it, it will always be better than the rest). Finally, welcome back to these posts. Hopefully, This fine show will redeem itself to your satisfaction. in the remainder of its time.

February 27 2007 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Hey Doogla61920, did I read that right? Did you just say you were sexually turned on by Neelix from Star Trek Voyager reruns? That's what I thought it said...

February 27 2007 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doogla61920

Seelix -- wow, what a long-legged, totally hot, hottie! I wondered what they were going to do with her after semi-introducing her in the airlock episode. She is most certainly camera-worthy and comes off as an intelligent character. I am into the show for so much more than good looking actors, but her addition as a more mainstream character will certainly helps me to get through more "filler" episodes -- especially if she's involved, which I think she will be. Remember when Starbuck kept drilling her with the tag "nugget" at the end of the show. I think were going to see a study in nugget-to pilot over the next few episodes.

Go ahead -- chastise me thoroughly for my infatuation with a beautiful female when the show is so much more than that.

February 27 2007 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dryte

I think that all the arguing about if this episode was good or bad is really kind of futile. Each person will have a different connection to an episode, and telling them that they are wrong is like trying to tell someone that blue is better than red.
I personally liked last weeks episode better than this one. I am going through a divorce and the interactions and comments between Adama and his wife were very relevant and touching, and meant more to me than Chief and his "between a rock and a hard place" dilemma.
Tha being said, there were some great moments in this show (as in all of them). The "You are always welcome in any of my beds" comment, and especially the way Roslin's head jerked up when he said it, was wonderful. His little smirk afterwards told me that he knew exactly what he was saying. Baltar's speach, and the way they focused on his mouth so you could see how differently it moved when he was in his native dialect. Chiefs incredulous look when Adama told him to see the President after threatening to shoot his wife.
It is little things like that which set this show apart from the others. The big fancy battles may draw people in, but I personally believe that it is the people who sit in the Vipers and take the shots, and the stories behind those people, that really make this show a masterpiece.

February 27 2007 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply