August 22, 2014

Adam's kooky lyric game

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 26th 2007 8:02AM

music notesOkay, so I was in the mood to create another fun TV game for y'all like I did with my "TV opposites" game, so here it is.

Below you will find altered lyric samples from TV themes that more or less mean the same thing as the original lyrics. For example, if I wrote:

One takes that which is affirmative, and also that which is negative
and puts these two opposing forces together
in conclusion, the result is the truth of all existence

then you should deduce that this is simply an overwrought way of saying:

You take the good, you take the bad
you take 'em both, and there you have
the Facts of Life

So the answer would be: The Facts of Life (you don't have to tell me the actual lyrics, just the name of the show).

Got it? Okay, good. Now let's do it:

I want to see your grin once more
sobbing takes too much time, so stop doing it
we're not even close to the finale
the greatest part will commence soon

***

A lot of personal effort must be exerted to carve your niche in life
but a respite from your concerns would probably be beneficial
it would be nice to escape, wouldn't it?

***

The rotation of this planet
is not dependent on a singular rhythm device
whatever works for you may not always work for someone else

***

A stain on your expensive dishes
was never much of a concern
and tossing your outer wear on the floor
never resulted in an angry look from anyone

***

My mother birthed me in the largest city in Pennsylvania
I also grew up there
much of my time was spent in the school yard
having fun
and playing a game invented by James Naismith

***

Nobody go to sleep just yet
instead, watch the final animated program of the evening
this show is now on
with creatures who expel both solid and liquid waste

Okay, you guys are pretty sharp, so you'll probably guess these rather quickly. Come up with some of your own and stick them in the comments. Happy solving.

UPDATE: Looks like I was right, you guys guessed them already. Feel free to keep coming up with some of your own in the comments. Here's the answers: Growing Pains, Cheers, Diff'rent Strokes, Mr. Belvedere, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and TV Funhouse.

Tor

#15 - You did not just do "Friends", did you?

And thanks for the comments. For some reason, I thought the "Baretta" one was pretty easy, and I loved doing the "MST3K" one, though I feel like I gave it away with the last line.

Again, fun freakin' game.

February 26 2007 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Student of The Game

Here's a story,
about a lovely------ scratch that.

I guess you weren't prepared for the realities of the world:
Unhappiness at work, financial trouble, and romantic woes.
It seems like you just can't catch a break and get out of the rut;
And despite the constant calendar changes, nothing seems to be going for you.
---------------------------

February 26 2007 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amber

#7 - LOL, I just got it - Salute Your Shorts! I haven't seen that show in forever! And now I'm going to have that theme in my head all day. :P

February 26 2007 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amber

#4 - First one is Green Acres. The second one Scrubs. I, too, liked your MST3K one. And the last one is Baretta? I'm only vaguely aware that show even existed.

February 26 2007 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

This really reminds me of trying to translate Japanese. The metaphors don't work and everything has to be so literal. Here's one..

Circular objects alight,
Traveling as they are designed to do along the paved traveling path,
It would be optimum to inform members of my immediate family,
The specific circular object under discussion shall rupture outward with great force.

February 26 2007 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Just got the second one, Douglin:

Fame.

Another great one.

February 26 2007 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Douglin, No. 6:

The first one is Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers!

That was a good one. :)

Don't know what the second one is, though.

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me who sang the Rescue Rangers theme.

February 26 2007 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Is No. 8 the Adventures of Pete and Pete?

February 26 2007 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Falco

I expect this one to be quite hard (but i may be wrong):

Yo, grinning weird
you appear joyful crazy
perhaps, a compromise, I am wounded via your bullet
maybe your planning is not at the stage in which you decide your aim.

February 26 2007 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Falco

As a group, there is jogging, leaping, aquitics, and no work.

As a whole, there is paddling and going on journeys.

However, those items that remain indefinately, are the close relations.

February 26 2007 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply