September 1, 2014

Heroes: Company Man

by Michael Canfield, posted Feb 26th 2007 10:36PM
Young Mr. Bennet
(S01E17)
Damn, this is good TV. Heroes has raised the bar for itself again. That's my review, thanks for stopping by, I look forward to reading your comments.

Seriously though, I don't know where to start. The show this week focuses on one main story: the life and career of that "company man," Mr. Bennet, the man with a hidden first name, aka HRG. He is, as we knew, mysterious, calculating, and deceptive. He's also intelligent, conflicted, and loving. Jack Coleman, who plays this character teasing out all his layered glory, deserves an Emmy based on this episode alone.

Claire Bear and Matt face off

We get glimpses of Mr. Bennet (back in his pre- horn-rimmed days) at key points throughout his career for the company. Even in first meeting with his new boss (Eric Roberts), Bennet espoused the philosophy he has held through the series. People are "fragile teacups" he says, and they don't want to know "what is happening to our species." Here he's a bright, fresh-faced young idealist, and in the ensuing scenes we watched that idealism chipped away. He's ordered to kill his partner, he's uncomfortable, but, still a true believer, he does it. Or believes he has done it, anyway. We know that Claude survived; that is something HRG didn't learn until last episode.

That's shocker number one: Claude was an agent, not a victim, of the company, at least at one time, until he could no longer tolerate its treatment of, as he says, his "own kind." And it is a company, it appears. Some sort of international consortium of the very rich and power. Which brings us to surprise number two. Now if you saw this one coming, you are a real life Matt Parkman, and should immediately call the James Randi Educational Foundation and collect your million dollars because Hiro Nakamura's father is not just some tradition-bound tycoon who doesn't understand his son, as he initially appeared. He is behind the "company." When he givesTexas standoff orders, they get obeyed. He orders Bennet to adopt Claire. Don't get too close, he warns Bennet, because if she manifests any abilities Bennet is supposed to give her over to the company. This pivotal incident happens on the roof of the Deveaux building in New York City.

This begs [raises] the question, is Hiro really Nakamura's son? Or was he adopted in the manner that Claire was? A few weeks ago Hiro stood up to his father, saying he wasn't going to go home and run the family business, but would stay in the U.S. and pursue his personal destiny. But it that what really happened? Tonight, I think, we saw the real Kaito Nakamura. So to what extent is Hiro being manipulated by a father who knows more than he lets on?Ted being Ted.

Matt and Ted end up in custody at the paper company. What happened to Wireless, by the way? She recruited the boys, then (wisely perhaps) didn't go with them on the recon to the Bennet house.

Incidentally, I liked how the episode started back before the conclusion of last week's. We got to see how Matt and Ted got themselves into the situation of taking the Bennet's hostage. Matt doesn't seem like the type to do that, and this episode did a great job of showing how events just spiraled out of control. Ted's best line: "I'm not gonna nuke the dog!"

Looks like Matt could be on tap to be HRG's new partner now. At least Eric Roberts' character said someone with Matt's abilities would make an ideal partner. We will see if Matt's curiosity, not to mention his need to find a place to fit in in the world, leads him to working with the company, at least tacitly. He wouldn't be the first. The Haitian, Eden, and Claude were all recruited at one time or another. The Haitian also appears to be part of some other organization, or maybe there's a fifth column at the company. A new player?

When HRG makes his sacrifice at the bridge (the same bridge he took Claude to for that attempted assassination) he tells the Haitian to "go deep" in order to erase any memory of his role in Claire's escape. How deep, we'll have to wait and see, but HRG will probably be very distressed not knowing how or why the Haitian and Claire disappeared. This means he, of all people, will most likely be trying the hardest to find Claire in the coming months. I don't think the Haitian would erase all memory of Claire's existence (though I guess he might), but even so, there would be too much evidence that she existed at her high school, etc. I don't know how Claire's mom and brother were handled. Did the Haitian also delete their memories of what they saw and learned today? Can't wait.Adoption: Heroes style

Yep, Heroes gets better and better.

Update: Added screen cap of the woman seen at Primatech who is supposedly going to "help clean up the mess."

sea0tter12

I don't think the fact that Hiro's dad was in on the group was a big surprise. "If you introduce a gun in the first act," and all that. What I'm wondering is whether Linderman (sp?) and Hiro's dad are in it together? Or are they rival powers?

Also, Rodney, regarding your first comment:

"Wow, you guys really need to hire a copyeditor!"

Copy editor is two words. If you're going to nitpick someone else's writing, please check over your own before posting. I'm a copy editor, too, and nothing bugs me more than grammar nazis who post mistake-laden comments.

March 12 2007 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

What if Claire's memory just can not be erased, what if her mind heals as her body does? I think Wolverine's memory-loss was explained that his healing factor 'heals' the bad memories by erasing them. What if Claire's mind mends itself after an erasing?

March 05 2007 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chief

"Are you trying to bait me?

A "mute" point?"

Well ... YES!!!! lol

March 02 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

Chief:

Are you trying to bait me?

A "mute" point?

Yes, phrases do change in meaning. However, if you (as a writer or speaker) are aware that something could have two meanings, would you want to take the chance that someone might misunderstand? Wouldn't you want to be as clear as possible? I think the point is that "begs the question" is confusing because some people think it means one thing and other people think it means another thing.

But maybe you're right. It could be moot by now.

;)

February 28 2007 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

RMB - in light of your question, I think a flashback episode about the mysterious Haitian is definitely in order! I loved that the kid they used to play him was just as INTENSE.

pqwp has a point - Haitian could not stop Nathan and did not attempt to stop Ted, but Parkman was able to power through some of his blocking ability, so I had thought he wouldn't have been able to stop Ted because Ted was super-angry and super-powerful at that point.

Or could it be a sort of hypnotic suggestion blocking?

February 28 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chief

"This begs the question..."
No, it doesn't: http://begthequestion.info/

What's not mentioned here is that the connotation of words and phrases changes over time. If enough people believe that 'begging the question' and 'raising the question' mean the same thing, to the point where journalists and other 'professional' writers start to use the two phrases interchangeably, then guess what ... that's what it means now! Get over yourself.

I suppose that it's really a mute point anyway...

February 28 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pgwp

RMB - my impression was that the Haitian could block people's powers if they were mind-related. i.e., Parkman and Eden. Don't know for sure if I'm correct about that.

February 28 2007 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RMB

Boy, the typo thing took the conversation away from the show!

No one responded to my earlier comment, so I'll ask it in a different way. It was thought that the Haitian could prevent Heroes from using their powers when he was near them. However, there have been times when he was near a Hero and they could use their powers - like during the last show with Radioactive Ted. Has this been explained in the show yet?

February 28 2007 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

Wow, I didn't mean to stir all that up. I was unaware of the corrections link. In the future, if my eyes bleed sufficiently, or if my god-hood or ass-ness is just TOO MUCH for me to stand, I will click on said link.

This was one comment on one review. I read dozens of others with errors, but the multiple errors here seemed so egregious that I was compelled to comment. I didn't really want or mean to offend anyone.

Nikki: Please tell me how you, as a copy editor, can overlook such errors. I would be truly interested to know. I try and try, but eventually I can't take it anymore.

Anyway, no more grammar-bitching. Promise.

February 27 2007 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pgwp

La-di-dah - good theories. I definitely think Mama Petrelli will come into play in the future. Someone was wondering where Peter got his dream-the-future powers. I think he unknowingly absorbed them from Mama, the way he got Nathan's flying abilities without knowing that he got them from Nathan.

I also think the person Claude was hiding was Nathan, not Claire's mother. And I think the "person who has a higher interest in the well-being of Claire" could also be Nathan, or could be Mama. $20 bucks says next time we see Claire and the Haitian, it'll be in New York.

February 27 2007 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply