July 28, 2014

Short-Lived Shows: Salvage 1

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 26th 2007 3:01PM

Salvage 1I thought of this show a few weeks ago when I started to see the commercials for Billy Bob Thornton's new movie, The Astronaut Farmer, about a guy who builds his own rocket in his barn so he can blast into space.

Salvage 1 was a short-lived show that starred Andy Griffith as a salvager who sells scrap that he finds and goes on various adventures with his cohorts (rescuing people, battling fires, getting involved with crooks, that sort of thing). The series co-starred Joel Higgins (Silver Spoons), Trish Stewart (whatever happened to her?), and Richard Jaeckel (Spenser: For Hire), and it was based on a TV movie of the same name in which Griffith built a rocket on his own and blasted off into space.

I can't tell you how much I loved this movie when I was a teen. If you had asked me in the late 70s what the best movie of all time was, I probably would have said this one. Sadly, the show died after only a season and a half. It couldn't quite match the charm of the pilot, but was pretty darn entertaining.

Scott

"Best of the West" -- there was ANOTHER great theme song! I can't find the lyrics, but here's a link:

And the greatest line from the series:
"It's a dirt floor."

February 27 2007 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

and maybe they'll put it out on DVD to coat-tail on the Astronaut Farmer's eventual DVD release???

and Joel Higgins should also be known for his starring role in Best of the West, a great little-remembered ABC sitcom set in the Wild West (that wasn't really so wild).

February 27 2007 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klb

I loved the theme music also. You can listen to it here: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/9782/salvage1b.wav

February 26 2007 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I loved Salvage 1. I remember watching it as a kid, and my best friend and I would watch it "together" by staying on the phone together through the whole show. I'd love to see the pilot movie again.

February 26 2007 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

Me too! I've had the "Salvage 1" theme song bouncing around in my head for years. It had this carnival-esque bouncy quality to it!

This was a really fun show! The cast was great together. It's a shame more people remember Joel Higgins for "Silver Spoons" than for "Salvage 1."

And yes, when I saw the trailer for the Billy Bob movie, I actually said out loud in front of my friend "Wow! They're ripping off Salvage 1!" (To which my friend replied, "Huh?")

February 26 2007 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

Just the other day my wife saw an ad for The Astronaut Farmer. She then went on to say it was a ripoff of the BBCA show Rocket Man. I then corrected her and said, there all ripoff's of Salvage 1, which she then replied, "what's that." I remember enjoying the show alot when I was a kid.

February 26 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I loved this show as a kid, too--especially the theme music! I can hear it now :-D

February 26 2007 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angel

Thank you. When I saw the ads for that movie, my thoughts were, "man, someone is remaking that old show about the rocket and the guy from the scrapyard." I could not remember for the life of me the name of the show. I thought at the time it was an ok show, but certainly nothing memorable (heck, I could not remember Andy Griffith was the scrap man).

February 26 2007 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply