November 1, 2014

The Amazing Race All-Stars: Beauty is Sometimes Skin Deep

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 26th 2007 1:07AM
drew; kevin; the amazing race; all stars
(S11E02) This show has to be considered an aerobic exercise. Sure, I'm sitting on the couch, but my heartrate is always up when I'm watching The Amazing Race.

This week the teams are off to Santiago, Chile (they ended last week in Ecuador). We don't get to learn much about the country or any Chilean traditions. I like that part of The Amazing Race, so hopefully that tradition will return.

Warning: Spoilers after the jump!

Kevin & Drew [ELIMINATED]: During the pitstop, Drew had to have oxygen administered four times for altitude sickness and headache. That's all you needed to know for this episode. Drew didn't want to play this game anymore and I was very, very happy to see him go. What a weenie! And Kevin is pathetic for making excuses for this guy. I was yelling at the television at the end when Drew said "I didn't quit". Oh yes he did. He was looking for an excuse not to race anymore. What a loser.

Oswald & Danny [2]: "I think I was a man in a previous life". I think that's all we saw of Oswald and Danny this time.

Uchenna & Joyce [5]: We witnessed a little strife between Uchenna and Joyce when Joyce couldn't get the first challenge despite her inability to read directions. They keep ending up in the middle of the pack but I don't think they have it in themselves this time to win the whole enchilada.

David & Mary ("Kentucky") [9]: David and Mary learned a hard lesson that they're on their own. The Cho brothers and Alabama from last season are not there to drag their sorry asses to the finish line. Mary thought she had a friend in Mirna and Charla but she was a fool. Unfortunately, Kentucky doesn't have much time left in this race.

Charla & Mirna [8]: These two are delusional. The beauty queens were right when they called the girls "drama queens". Mirna absolutely panics in a stressful situation. She was practically bawling during the bolt-tightening challenge. And she nearly lost it for her and Charla when she stopped to bitch out the beauty queens for following them to The Valley of the Moon. Doesn't she know how this game works? Everyone always piggy backs on everyone else. Now that Drew & Kevin are gone, these two need to go next. Sheesh.

Rob & Amber [1]: The thing about Rob and Amber is that they know how to read directions. They may fall behind, but they catch up when everybody else can't read directions during a stupid word scramble Roadblock. Maybe it's because they live their lives in front of cameras so they're not distracted by all the commotion. Anyway, these two apparently sacrified a book to the gods of reality television before entering this race because, once again, they ended up in first place. I really don't want them to win but I definitely like how Rob gets everyone (Amber included) all upset.

Teri & Ian [7]: Didn't see much of these two. They keep saying that they're tough competitors but they keep making stupid mistakes that nearly put them out of the race altogether. They need to stop with the tough talk and just pay attention if they want to stick around.

Eric & Danielle [4]: Were they even in this race?

Joe & Bill [3]: These two nearly imploded when they failed to read the directions in the final challenge that both of them had to drive the Tonka truck. Luckily, other teams behind them made much more dire mistakes (including choosing the labor-intensive bolt-tightening task).

Dustin & Kandice [6]: These girls might have also made a sacrifice to the gods of reality television because they made it to the finish line by the skin of their teeth. They initially went the wrong way on their way to the Pit Stop, but luckily half the remaining teams made the same mistake. These girls are good at knowing when something is wrong and they quickly asked for directions and got on the right track. I hate that the other teams hate these two because they're beauty queens. They're smart girls who happen to be pretty and they proved themselves last season. I don't see why they're having to prove themselves again.

Tammy

I wasn't a huge Rob fan on Survivor but I love him on the Amazing Race. I have watched this show so many times and thought "why are you helping them?" and things like that. Now I gathered from reading some articles that I think they are trying to send them to some areas where Rob and Amber won't have as much of an advantage. Last time people recognized them and would help them find places and get there quicker. One article said they knew how each team operated and took that into consideration when planning this race. I think that means alot of good television to come.

Anyway.... how stupid was Eric when he found the dumb clue at the roadblock but wouldn't try it because he hadn't seen an "H" yet? All the other letters were there but no H. I can't stand Mary but she was smart to think it has a Q in it so lets try it. Of course she gave the answer to someone else too.

I didn't mind Kevin listening in because Mary was dumb enough to say the clue in front of two other teams but when Drew threw their bags on the floor of the plane... they had to go. That's just rude. Add on top the stubbornness to keep going 40 when they hit the hard road, they deserved to go.

February 27 2007 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

I can tell you why I dislike the BQ's, they are way too arrogant and believe they are entitled. While they are wily, smart, etc., their hubris will bring them down once again. Of the teams that are not histrionic, it seems to be that Oswald and Danny are running a great race and if they don't give up like they did last time, they will be around until the end! Go O and D!

February 26 2007 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Man, I'm sad about Kevin and Drew. Not about their being eliminated, but what they were like in this race, period. They were favorites of mine back in the day, and they just came back into this obviously not wanting to be there at all. How the heck did a few years and marriages beat 'em down so bad? Ouch.

February 26 2007 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

It was funny that Mirna and Charla were all bent out of shape about Dustin and Candace trying to get the same directions when they did not have much of a problem with David and Mary stopping to pull them out of the mud earlier in the episode. I can't wait to see them go. I like Charla, but Mirna is a complete dope.

February 26 2007 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

I love Rob and Amber and I love Dustin and Kandace and I hope that these two teams wipe the floor with the others because frankly everyone else seems whiney, hysterical, and have forgetten (again) that this is a race and not tour. If it comes down to my two favorite teams, my money is on Rob to figure out an edge... I think it will be his turn to finally leave second place behind and take it all. He deserves it.

February 26 2007 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TuckerKatt

I thought Dustin & Kandice nailed it. High stress, high drama is just Mirna/Charla's normal MO. They are nuts. How about that scene when they were in hysterics and trying to make the cab driver take their entire bag?? Koo-koo, koo-koo....

Kentucky would be a lot easier to cheer for if they'd finally wake up and stop helping other teams. This is a race, you don't have to apologize for wanting to win. Hopefully they'll have more of a competitive edge now and not make up with Team Crazy and go back to helping them.

February 26 2007 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

I was so exciting when I saw Dustin & Kandice were racing! I love them, they're smart racers (although they make some major blunders) and they have fun doing it, can't say that for too many. I'm tired of the beauty queen comments against them, especially Charla's comment about them having plastic surgery and it not all about looks. What?!?

Although I will admit, they are great eye candy!

February 26 2007 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julia

That was a really interesting initial challenge... too bad it didn't make *any* difference at all. I hate when they do that. Sure, have a thinking challenge, but then stick a single airplane after it so it doesn't affect anyone. Lame.

February 26 2007 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Unfortunately, the producers of The Amazing Race pigeonhole the beauty queens as that and nothing more. They are the dark horse candidates to win this thing. Rob and Amber is the obvious choice - they are on top of their game right now, but somebody will sneak up on them, just like in their season.

February 26 2007 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave croft

I think you're right about David and Mary being close to elimination, which is too bad because I really want David to do well....Mary's a pain most of the time.. as for the beauty queens, I don't hate them because they're beautiful, and they are smart, but I think they're also arrogant with no kindness in them whatsoever.

February 26 2007 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply