August 22, 2014

NBC gives Las Vegas a fifth season

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 27th 2007 7:23PM
Las Vegas cast
Las Vegas
is one of those shows that I've always thought was in the same category as Wings and Just Shoot Me!, one of those nice little shows that never generates any buzz, but does just well enough in its timeslot to keep getting renewed. If you're around on a Friday night and there's nothing to watch, it's always good to stumble across the show; the beautiful triumvirate of Cox, Marcil, and Sims is always nice to look at, and they make good use of celebrity guest shots. Most of all, the show stars James Caan; 35 years after The Godfather, the man is still compelling to watch, even if he only seems half-interested in being on the show most of the time.

Anyway, the crew at the Montecito is going to get another year to distract us from our lonely Fridays, as NBC has decided to pick Las Vegas up for a fifth season, according to TV Week. "The cast and producers have consistently given us what we want from Las Vegas - pure entertainment," said NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reillym "and we're looking forward to another fun ride next season with the show." Ah the beauty of low expectations: the show is averaging a 2.8 rating for the season.

kerry

Jake took the words right out of my mouth. The cast does a pretty great job with a silly, guilty pleasure of a show. I started TiVoing it last year and have come to think of the 44 minutes I spend watching it as my "James Caan time." My boyfriend comes in and asks me why I'm watching this crap? Shut up! James Caan!

February 28 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

Yay! My mom & I love this show. But we don't know anyone else that watches.

February 28 2007 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nuke

I love the show, too. But I fear the magic will be gone with Caan no longer in the cast.

Cox's departure is a bit of a shock as well, but at least her bumbling character isn't as integral to the show IMHO.

February 28 2007 at 7:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike m

gotta say, I found this show about 2 weeks ago, and downloaded Season 1, 2, and 3, plus all of season 4 on BT. Its good...real good. Its a funny not taking itself too seriously show, that has good writing and a good cast. I'm glad to see it come back.

February 28 2007 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

2 thumbs up!!! Keep Vanessa on the Air as long as you can! The rest of the cast rocks as well

February 27 2007 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Las Vegas is the ultimate guilty pleasure, and I think you are selling Marcil and Sims short. Especially Marcil, as she has a pretty multifaceted character. Plus the Danny/Mike friendship is one of the best on TV. The show is a fun romp, doesn't take itself seriously, and always has interesting episodes. As an avid fan of Lost, Heroes, 24, etc, I like this show because I don't have to think about what I am watching, yet it doesn't insult my intelligence with crappy stories.

February 27 2007 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

My lady and I enjoy LV as a guilty pleasure. I am kinda surprised (but glad) it keeps going, because I'm assuming it's not a cheap show to produce (decent sized ensemble cast, flash visual f/x). I wonder if it has strong international sales or some other reason. The fact that it's an NBC/Universal production probably helps since there's no middleman to pay.

February 27 2007 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Wow! With ratings that low Studio 60 could get a season 2, Invasion should have gotten a season two. Damn NBC! How goddamn dumb are you!

February 27 2007 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

Yay!! :D I have watched it ever since i stumbled on and episode of the second season, and i have watched it ever since that and have the dvds! So this is good news for me! :D

February 27 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply