The TV chain game
I used to play this game with myself when I was bored where I would try to create "chains" by linking names and phrases together. For example, I might morph "I'm A Little Teapot" and the "Teapot Dome Scandal" into "I'm A Little Teapot Dome Scandal."
Now, someone needs to jog my memory because I know there's an actual game that also became a short-lived game show based on this same idea. While I wait for someone to remind me what that was called*, I've created another game for y'all to play. Just like my last two games, you won't win anything, but I think this one is a little more challenging that my last two.
I've written plot descriptions for twenty-one series below. Here's an example:
In this series, a family stranded in a faraway galaxy battle aliens from an Atari video game. Meanwhile, Martians invade Earth, control people's minds, and steal candy bars.
The answer: "Lost in Space Invaders from Mars Bars."
A couple things you should know: An actual TV show title will appear at least once in each answer. Also, a word may appear as part of another word. For example, a show about a woman who starts both a diet program and a site where people can find apartments and sell things would be called "Jenny Craigslist."
Got all that? Any questions, let me know in the comments. Now put on your smarty pants and get to work:
1. A stuntman / bounty hunter captures bad guys while also celebrating the day in 1605 when a man tried to blow up the British Parliament.
2. A sarcastic TV journalist balances her personal and professional life while frying up pre-cooked sausages from Banquet.
3. James Brown stars in this series featuring funky dancers and a narcotics officer who lives by his own rules.
4. This family appears normal, but what people don't know is that the daughter is not human at all, but a mass-produced name brand concoction made of yeast and other ingredients.
5. A weird man-boy lives with talking furniture while hiding a sickening number of mutilated bodies throughout his home.
6. A Chicano who works at a filling station becomes a secret agent who also likes to swim in his gigantic money bank. Also, he works as an animator on a low-budget cartoon.
7.A man builds motorcycles, helps raises a family with six children, and insist on a five-day waiting period for all gun purchases.
8. A man rebuilt with robotic parts performs on a PBS musical showcase.
9. In a frozen territory in the Northern hemisphere, a park ranger and his two children battle apes and dinosaurs while Terry Gilliam attempts to make a movie about Don Quixote.
10. A bottle of Scotch fights bad guys in a Southern state while also dealing with a meddlesome bear.
11. A gay piano player makes a Christmas album with the Muppets, and he's also a cartoon dinosaur living in the modern world.
12. Two journalists break the Watergate scandal and move to a town in Alaska where a woman is trying to find Mr. Right.
13. In this series, a new scary story is featured every week with Pink Floyd and a former model who partners with a wisecracking detective.
14. A cranky, silver-haired judge presides over real-life court cases, including a young man who tries to help his father find a new wife. Meanwhile, a priest solves crimes with a nun.
15. This series was based on the Motley Crew / Cyndi Lauper song about sexy and rebellious elderly women who enjoy a pastry consisting of fried dough and powdered sugar.
16. In this funny and quirky series for kids, two brothers gamble on baseball and have a romantic relationship with Marilyn Manson.
17. The Coen Brothers direct this comedy featuring mobsters, New York City detectives, and a female medical examiner.
18. John Updike wrote the pilot for this series about an elephant who sits on an egg while a surly detective tries to absolve a rabbit of murder and a widowed doctor lives with his two grown daughters (featuring music by Jackson Browne).
19. A crude chicken and a dim-witted cow search for canned tuna and other treasures under the sea in this adventure series.
20. Anthropomorphic food stuffs attempt to blow up a bridge in Yugoslavia during World War II.
21. A bigoted yet lovable man lives with his family, which includes a talking dog and a puppet who hosts game shows.
HERE ARE THE ANSWERS (3/1/07):
The Fall Guy Fawkes' Day
Murphy Brown and Serve
The Godfather of Soul Training Day
Small Wonder Bread
Pee-Wee's Playhouse of 1,000 Corpses
Chico and the Man from U.N.C.L.E. Scrooge McDuck Factory
Jesse James Brady Bunch
Steve Austin City Limits
Greenland of the Lost in La Mancha
Johnnie Walker Texas Ranger Smith
Elton John Denver the Last Dinosaur
All the President's Men in Trees
Tales From the Darkside of the Moonlighting
The People's Courtship of Eddie's Father Dowling Mysteries
The Golden Girls Girls Girls Just Wanna Have Funnel Cakes
The Adventures of Pete and Pete Rose McGowan
Barney Miller's Crossing Jordan
Horton Hears a Who Framed Roger Rabbit Running on Empty Nest
Cow and Chicken of the Sea Hunt
Aqua Teen Hunger Force 10 from Navarone
All in the Family Guy Smiley
*The game show was Smush. Thanks, Niraj.