December 19, 2014

Las Vegas loses two regulars

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Feb 28th 2007 9:20AM
Nikki CoxTalk about a poisoned cake! The same day NBC announces Las Vegas is renewed for a fifth season, series regulars James Caan and Nikki Cox announce they will not be part of the 2007-08 season.

TV Guide reports that Caan wants to focus on his movie career claiming that, even though he had a good time on the show, being part of Las Vegas made him miss a few good movie opportunities. Nikki Cox has yet to comment on her departure from the show.

The show can survive Cox leaving, even though it will crush the Danny/Mary shippers. But can it survive Caan's departure? His character is a pivotal one in the show and brings a unique flavor.

The season 4 finale, which will more than likely be Caan's and Cox's last episode unless the show convinces them to guest star, will air on March 9 at 9 p.m. EST on NBC.

erskelyne

Duhamel and Lesure have more chemistry than Duhamel and Sims, and I'm no slasher or shipper.

They can pull this off if they get Caan to do recurring episodes. Or maybe they could find another older bad-ass type to fill the void. I nominate Terence Stamp.

Any ideas?

February 28 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Ohhh Noooo! Please don't tell me James Caan is leaving. Well that is the end of this show. Because he is the center of the show. NBC might as well cancel Las Vegas! They should at least talk him into doing 50% of the shows. Money talks. Caan could still do movies if he only did 1/2 the shows. I did read that Caan was unhappy when NBC moved the show to Friday night last year. Yesterday I was happy when I heard about the renewal. Today I am no longer happy.

February 28 2007 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Rabinowitz

While I'm not a big fan of Cox and her giant, fake....lips, I agree with those above who say that the show can't survive w/o Caan. While I like the rest of the cast, they really are only there to play off Jimmy C. Especially that wacky Korean spa owner ("He more angry than when fist get stuck in back place!"). I won't watch it much w/o Caan.

February 28 2007 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike m

as much as I like Las Vegas, I don't think I'll end up watching as often or at all without these characters. Caan makes the show what it is...period. And with the way the finale is shaping up, according to spoilers, Caan and Cox may end end up dead...and that would be a horrid way to end the season and their characters. I'm not a shipper, but Duhamel and Sims have less chemistry than Duhamel and Cox.

Eh, overall, they may as well cancel the show if Caan is leaving. And with Cox leaving too, it'll be tedious to watch when it returns.

February 28 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

I think Nikki Cox counts as two regulars all by herself.

February 28 2007 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

I agree with your both Jake and Wendy, Caan's character is the key in the show and seeing him go could indeed make the show jump the shark. Let's hope they find a way to either have him guest star or fill in the void.

February 28 2007 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Las Vegas without James Caan is like...
Las Vegas without Wayne Newton.

February 28 2007 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

RIP Las Vegas. Caan is that show. Maybe if he just does a few episodes that season it could be passable. But for me the best episodes are the ones where ed and danny fight crime or get in funny situations. I know they've been focusing more on the Danny and Delinda and also focusing on Marcil's Sam. I am not sure they can carry the show though. Cox's Mary has been irrelevant for sometime, so I don't mind seeing her go. What would be cool is if they brought the Nessa character back.

February 28 2007 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crambam

That's huge. I just hope they don't kill off Ed. Caan is vital to the show. Nikki Cox not so much. Unless Caan changes his mind, we have our shark jump, and Vegas will be over next season. Terrible news for the show.

February 28 2007 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply