August 21, 2014

More Star Trek movie rumors

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 28th 2007 3:05PM

Adrien BrodyWe've already heard that Matt Damon might be asked to play Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek movie that J.J. Abrams is going to direct (if you haven't heard, Matt Damon might be asked to play Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek movie that J.J. Abrams is going to direct). Now comes word that not only is Damon in talks to star in the flick, but that Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise are in talks with Paramount too to play Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy.

Of course, the latest "breaking news" a couple of weeks ago said that Abrams wasn't going to direct the movie but it was officially announced this week that he is going to direct it, so who knows if this is true or not. But it's interesting to talk about. I think those are all good choices, especially Damon as Kirk.

Trekkies? Trekkers? Who do you want to see as Kirk, Spock, and Bones?

Francisco

Jason Bateman as Kirk

February 28 2007 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Johnny Depp as Kirk, Mark Wahlberg as Spock. Or the other way around, whichever. Who cares as long as Jessica Simpson plays Yeoman Rand and Beyonce plays Uhuru. Lucy Liu is a shoe-in for the Starbuckification of Sulu.

February 28 2007 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

I think all these guys are too old, it's supposed to be a prequel. Relative unknowns would be the best bet...but maybe with some fan base.
How about Jason Behr who played Max on Roswell (my teenager loved it) as Spock, or the cutie soap star (now don't turn your noses up, some biggies had their roots in the suds) Forbes March (One Life to Live) as Kirk.
The enduring quality of Star Trek is that it reaches new fans in each generation, so who are we to deny this new crop their own Trek. It will either sink or swim but it won't diminish what's gone before, everyone has their own favourite.

February 28 2007 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
damnitvigile

I think Nathan Fillion would be a great Kirk. Would the Browncoats let go of Captain Mal and let him enter the other verse? I'm not feeling Adrian Brody, but Gary Sinise would be clutch

February 28 2007 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Good GOD in heaven! Forest Whitaker? Lets keep the cast with the same ethnic background as the series. I personally think it should be a completely animated movie. Solmething with the quality of Final Fantasy. That way the surviving original cast members could voice the characters they brought to TV and big screen. I agree that Sinise is way too old to do McCoy live, but his voice would fit just right for an animated McCoy. Whatever they do, I hope they real.ly put some thought into the script. Make it a movie that all science fictiion fans can watch and at the same time keep it true to Roddenberry's original concept. Something that wasn't done with the last series until maybe the 3rd season.

February 28 2007 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ras Thavas

J.J. Abrams, leaving no series unruined.

Those actors are too old to play the part of Starfleet Academy cadets.

February 28 2007 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

I was trying to come up with something clever but I think gottacook's is damn good. Very funny. It'll work too, as long as the get nic cage to play JJ Abrams going crazy trying to write a decent script.

February 28 2007 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Who would I like to see? How about nobody.

Honestly, is there even a market for this film outside of the hardcore trekker/trekkie?

And if it is supposed to be a younger Kirk/Spock story, then A. These actor choices are all WAY TO OLD and B. You are throwing out all previous laid continuity of making it a prequel

February 28 2007 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wax

Gary Sinise as Dr. McCoy? are they serious? i thought this was supposed to be a prequel to the original series. Gary Sinise is like 50 or something. He's way too old to play young McCoy. Now Adrian Brody as Spock I think isn't a bad idea. I just hope he doesn't look like an idiot in pointy ears.

February 28 2007 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gottacook

I say, don't even try to match appearances with the original actors, out of respect for them. Let John Malkovich play Kirk, Spock AND McCoy.

February 28 2007 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply