Prediction: Sanjaya and Antonella among this week's Idol castoffs

by Geoff Bennett, posted Mar 1st 2007 3:02PM
Sanjaya MalakarMaybe it's because he takes his style queues from Michael Jackson, but Sanjaya Malakar -- if AOL online voters have it right -- will bid American Idol adieu tonight. He and 22-year-old AJ Tabaldo are the bottom two guys in the Top 24 Ranking Poll, where users choose their favorite contestants.
As for the girls, it's a three-way tie. The doomed, according to AOL users, include professional dog walker Leslie Hunt, 24-year-old Alaina Alexander and Internet pin-up girl Antonella Barba.

For all the publicity Antonella drummed up over those racy Web pics, she couldn't quite pull it off where it counted most -- singing. And trying to diss Simon immediately after she had bombed a Celine standard couldn't have helped her much in the sympathy department.

Oh well ... I'm sure there's a Maxim magazine cover in her future. So it's not a total loss.

Rank your favorite contestants and get the latest Idol news and recaps at AOL and People.com.

mwain

Sanjaya is not going anywhere.The indians outnumber the actual americans and keep in mind they are all voting for him simply because he's indian.Bet u he will be there till the end.

March 07 2007 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

If the voting was one call per household or it was a 900 number that you would have to pay for I can guarantee that Antonella and Sanjay would be gone. I've been a fan of AI since season one. But, if the voting keeps going on the way it is, AI will lose alot of fans. And Ryan Seacrest is starting to wear on my nerves.

March 03 2007 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

Shame on American Idol for allowing real singers to be voted off by other reasons besides SINGING. Shame on American Idol.

March 03 2007 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ImKukie

Sanjaya has a decent voice but he has no strength he looked like a scared kitten on stage and because of his lack of confidence the audience isn't going to support him for long. He has potential but not star quality Im afraid. When AJ got the boot over him San looked really disappointed - that it wasn't him instead. He just doesn't look like he wants to be there but is going through the motions instead because he made the commitment and is seeing it through.

Now Antonella she's got all the confidence but none of the talent. I can't wait to see her go. I'm sorry but she just comes off like an immature snotty little brat. She needs a maturity & reality check! I can't wait till the final 6 where can get some real competition & entertainment. This year is a WOMANS show - Sorry guys but there is more professionalism and talent among the Ladies.

This is not to say that the guys are talentless. We've got some nice voices in there but really I think that you won't see any life long careers as a singer from any of these guys.

March 03 2007 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beverly Mack

This is regarding Ryan and Simon. Believe it or not, Simon is one of the reasons the show is so popular. Every one expects him to be that way. Now Ryan is a different "Ball of wax." He is rude, and downright mean. We are getting so tired of him trying to get a rise out of Simon. All my friends and family say that he had better quit being so hateful to Simon. He just waits for a reason to bash Simon. We all walk out of the room and get highly incensed when Ryan starts his crap.

March 02 2007 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

I CANT BELIEVE AJ WENT HOME HE WUZ ALOT BETTER THEN SANJAYA

March 02 2007 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince Salem

I'm not surprised , or disappointed abpout the women that are going home, but I do agree that A.J. Tabaldo had/has a better voice than Sanjaya, but Sanjaya has more 'cute appeal' which is the ONLY reason he may not go home for a while. If it had been soley up to me, it would have been Sanjaya and Nick, going home. A.J. can/could have waited until next week.
My feeling is that the three BEST male singers are Phil Stacy, Sundance Head and Blake Lewis. As for the women, I think it is clear that Stephanie Edwards is BY FAR the best, but she has a sort of 'Fantasia look' to her, which is the ONLY reason I don't think she'll win this year. I'll go out on a limb and predict that it will be Sundance Head...IF he doesn't let success go to his head (no pun intended) and get sloppy.

March 02 2007 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

Sanjaya should have been gone last week! He is getting the strong Gay vote, that is why he is still on. If he remains on 3/8/07, the show is rigged!

March 02 2007 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leigh bragg

Okay everyone who else would we have voted off. Eventually those all will be gone. None of them were top 12 material. Alaina's biggest mistake was singing a Dixie Shi... song. That doomed her from the moment she opened her mouth. I agree AJ should have been there antother week but then he would have to go too because he doesn't have that star quality that is needed to be an idol. Leslie was just weird.! And Nick never really looked comfortabe even though I thought he had a nice voice. I still love watching the show and will be seated in front of me TV on Tuesday.

March 02 2007 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

What in the heck is wrong with Kelly Pickler???? Be for real that was too funny i had to keep turning the T.V down when she was singing and talking.

March 02 2007 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply