August 21, 2014

30 Rock: The Source Awards

by Julia Ward, posted Mar 2nd 2007 2:32AM
30 Rock The Source Awards(S01E16) You can't hit it out of the park every time. While "The Source Awards" delivered plenty of funny, the episode seemed a bit off-kilter. It had fewer laughs-per-minute than the past few episodes, and structurally, I think the writers couldn't decide which story to foreground. Maybe, they couldn't decide if LL Cool J or Wayne Brady should get more lines. My answer to that quandary - Ghostface Killah. Who, other than Dave Chappelle, gets the Wu on their sitcom? You don't see Raekwon and GZA turning up on Scrubs? (They haven't been on Scrubs, right?) Actually, this points to a sorta interesting and unexpected thing about 30 Rock. In addition to being your weekly one-stop shop for Alec Baldwin greatness, Tina Fey smartness and all-around goofiness, 30 Rock is one of the only comedy outlets sending up the excesses of hip-hop culture and white guilt on a regular basis.

I think the writers spend the better part of their day coming up with absurd names for hip-hoppers and their entourages. Ri-DICK-ilous, Dotcom, Catch-22, Homunculus. Tracy's right. At this point in hip-hop history, Hot 97 and The Source Awards are not good places for anyone embroiled in a public feud to be hanging out. And, the Cristal controversy is all real except the Dane Cook part, or maybe that didn't make the original Economist interview in which Frederic Rouzaud lamented that he couldn't prevent rappers from buying the company's champagne. The world of hip-hop celebrity is ripe for satire, and 30 Rock has an interesting take on it since it's juxtaposed against Liz's own adventures in white guilt.

What did you guys think of Wayne Brady's appearance? An interesting contrast to his Chappelle Show outing. The black guy accused of being too white by his critics makes an appearance on 30 Rock and shows us just what being super, super white (or super, super boring regardless of race) might mean - loving Mark Russell, collecting tote bags and blogging about STAR WARS - the Reagan, not the Lucas, kind. The entire set-up was worth it just for the "why can't we all just not get along" exchange. If only we could just hate each other as people regardless of race, creed, gender or sexual orientation. That will be a beautiful day.

Among my other favorite moments in this week's episode:

- This mess is going to get raw like sushi so haters to the left.
- RIDICULOUS: What kind of plane you want to buy? JACK: Clear, like Wonder Woman's.
- Live every week like it's Shark Week.
- KENNETH: I've got your nose. RIDICULOUS: Jay, go get my nose back.

Did anyone else catch that Wayne Brady's character worked for Dewie, Cheatum and Livingston, a play on classic law firm pun "Dewie, Cheatum and Howe?" They do know how to layer the jokes at 30 Rock. Speaking of layering, check out Todd at Dead Frog's screen capture from last week's 30 Rock episode. One of The Girlie Show protesters standing outside NBC is holding a sign that read "Ecclesiastes 10:19," a bible verse which reads, "A meal is made for laughter, and wine makes life pleasant, but money is the answer for everything." They've got so much funny to spare, they're cramming every inch of the frame with yuks.

1SG M. COX

We in the military will not watch any tv show or movie with the likes of Alex Baldwin either starring or in the production of!He needs to take his hollywood left wing fat ass out of our country. We would love to have all the hollywood liberals on the front lines with us for one day!
1SG COX
MILITARY POLICE
IRAQ

March 08 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GillJos

Sorry - to be clear - the edit was in between the words teenage and people.

March 05 2007 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GillJos

Was it me, or was there also a brilliant, intentional "edit" when Lemon says something to the effect of: "I don't even notice those kinds of things. When I leave work at night, I am just riding on a subway car full of scary, teenage people."
Damn this show is funny.

March 05 2007 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meeno01

"its about to get raw like sushi, so haters to the left"

"Death by chocolate.........no no not that kind of chocolate"

Liz: thank you A-mandA
Amanda: its Amanda

Young Tracy " Im sorry man, im pretty drunk"

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

March 04 2007 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

You have to admit - white-bread corporatate TV would sooner have Hillary Duff on as a guest star than toy with controversial social issues like racism in a comedy. There were plenty of lines in this episode that, in less-skilled hands, could have had entire writing staffs fired.

I loved watching the interplay between Donaghy & LL Cool J, who when it came right down to it, were all about the same thing - money & profits. Brilliant.

This show is SO sharp, I truly believe the bulk of its jokes go right over the heads of the average viewer. If you don't keep up with the news, you're missing some GREAT topical satire in this show.

March 03 2007 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

My favorite line was actually Tracy saying "When you get rich off this stuff, take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."

Also, I was hoping donaghyestates.com was a real website, but even though GE registered it, they don't have anything up there.

March 03 2007 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

Every episode seems funnier to me. I've got a man-crush on Alec Baldwin and a total wanna nail her crush on Tina Fey at this point.

March 03 2007 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Tina never headed up SNL, she wrote the news and sat in on the skit writing, but I doubt she really showed up for that.

March 03 2007 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaycee

Last night's show was hilarious! I wonder why SNL wasn't this funny when Tina was heading it up though. I was really reluctant to watch and now I love it way more than 'The Office'--the spitting out the wine alone was priceless!

March 02 2007 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
floretbroccoli

EVERY show should be required to have Wayne Brady as a guest show. Did you catch him as Barney's brother on HIMYM? No explanation for their difference in complexion. No explanation in the sense that the characters themselves don't understand. Gold.

March 02 2007 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply