September 30, 2014

Former SNLer Sanz goes primetime

by Richard Keller, posted Mar 2nd 2007 10:03AM

Horatio SanzNow that 30 Rock has become a mild success for Saturday Night Live veterans Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan it seems that other former SNL alums are making an attempt at primetime popularity. Case in point . . . It's being reported that 8-year SNL veteran Horatio Sanz has joined the cast of the comedy Business Class.

In this pilot for NBC Sanz will star with Boston Legal's Mark Valley (who does nothing on that show but complain). The single-camera comedy will feature Sanz and Valley as two rival soda salesmen who live their lives on the road. Hey, I'm laughing already!

This would be Sanz's first foray into primetime television since leaving SNL last year. Maybe it's me, but it seems that Horatio was underutilized during his years at SNL, which is surprising because he had a pretty decent track record before coming on-board the sketch comedy show. I mean, he was one of the early founders of the Upright Citizens Brigade. I would think that would amount to a little more screen time. If I'm way off base here let me know.

chattifrear

I thought that Sanz was funny & unfunny on SNL. It really varied by skit. I wish him all of the best and don't see how anyone else reading this could wish him any different, no matter their feelings of him on SNL. It's upseting to think that some of these commenters are wishing him to be a miserable failure. But, I guess that the world we live in is not always kind, so I hope that the new show is at least kind to Horatio & not a career ending move.

March 03 2007 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

I wish him a crushing failure.

March 03 2007 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Could there be a worse combination of actors than Horatio Sanz and Mark Valley. If Sanz never appeared on television again I wouldn't feel bad, but Valley is a pretty good actor and damn good on Boston Legal when the writers actually utilize him. But with Sanz? If this isn't quickly cancelled I'll be surprised.

March 02 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Triad, North Carolina

A BEAR ATE MY PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A BEAR ATE MY PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 02 2007 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I'll hop on the "I hate Horatio" bandwagon too. I always thought he was completely unfunny on SNL. He could never seem to stay in character. I don't know why they kept him on for so long.

March 02 2007 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wes

I loved him and I always will.

March 02 2007 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Green

Horatio Sanz is extrordinarily unfunny. I hate him and consider his time on SNL to be hellacious.

I live every day knowing that he must live with himself in the wake of such collosally huge failures like "Boat Trip." Sadly, I think this was Horatio at his best.

I hope he continues to fail.

March 02 2007 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

I never really found him funny. Not only did he crack up during his skits, but he must smoke or something because he had this weird laugh like he was sucking spit through his teeth or something. He seemed out of breath after the smallest (and lamest) physical stunts.

March 02 2007 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

Now the media will make fun of him being not funny AND overweight...

March 02 2007 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

i completely agree with student - he and fallon both ruined countless sketches by laughing their way through them. i'm pretty sure that's the reason he was "underutilized"
i think you're way off base here.

March 02 2007 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply