April 18, 2014

Peyton Manning to host SNL on March 24

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 2nd 2007 7:21PM
Peyton ManningPeyton Manning just has to do everything Tom Brady does, doesn't he? First, he won a Super Bowl and an SB MVP award, just like Brady (though Brady's won 2 SB MVPs and 3 rings). Now he's decided to celebrate his 31st birthday by hosting Saturday Night Live on March 24. Brady hosted the show two years ago, and did a pretty decent job of it, all things considered.

Manning should do an even better job, since he's already shown a pretty good sense of humor in the myriad commercials he's done over the years. I mean, what football fan didn't love it when he exhorts a deli guy to "Cut that meat!" in a MasterCard commercial? Or when he donned a clever disguise to extol his own virtues in a Sprint ad? Well, most of them didn't. But you can't deny that he'll do a serviceable job on SNL. Although, as far as athlete sketches go, nothing can beat the Joe Montana "I'll be upstairs masturbating" moment from 20 years ago.

(By the way, I'm not a Patriots fan; I'm a Giants fan. I think I'm just jealous because we got the wrong Manning, that's all.)

[via Deadspin]

Preston

To answer comment 10, I think that Peyton's very into country songs and selecting Carrie Underwood to perform on SNL was a good match. I'm please that Carrie is getting onto more top shows to perform her songs. She has gotten better and better in her performing and singing.

March 16 2007 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think that Peyton Manning will be fun to watch on Saturday Night Live this weekend! He should be in every skit, because he will have enough comedy chops to keep that audience laughing! If he can translate the humor he brings to those TV commercials (the infamous "Cut that meat!/Cut that meat! or "De-caf!/De-caf!") to a late-night show, then he's set! If he retires from football, which is 5-10 years down the road, he should get his own sitcom! Or possibly do stand up.

March 16 2007 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beej

Maria the musical guest is Carrie Underwood.
I can't wait. I LOVE PEYTON MANNING and Carrie Underwood is awesome. I think it will be a great night of television!

March 13 2007 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patty

I have watched Saturday Night Live since it began and I am amazed that it is still on the air. It is boring, trite and just not funny. My 10 year old nephew could write funnier scripts than the garbage on there. Why is this show still on the air? cancel it, please. Even that awful Studio 60 was better than this crap and that is not saying much.

March 06 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maria

Hey TomB, I'm from Indy too and I think you're right...Payton has always shown a good sense of humor in local media and his commercials, where he's will to poke fun of himself should serve him well. It helps that he doesn't have a huge ego.

I am looking forward to see him on SNL. I guess I'll actually watch it that week. :)

Does anyone know who the musical guest is? Something country?

March 05 2007 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

Well, I'm from Indianapolis, so of course I think this is great. Actually, seeing him on the local media, he seems to have a great sense of humor. I think he'll do fine.

March 03 2007 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan at Spot Cost

Montana was perfect, so no pressure trying to be the best host, it's been done.

Hopefully next Peyton will knock up a has-been actress. Best of luck buddy.

March 03 2007 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

bgdc=douchebag

March 03 2007 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

F**k Peyton Manning and f**k Colts...

Sry still have a grudge.. Sounds fun though.. :D

March 03 2007 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bd

>Well, most of them didn't.

Because most of them are upset he carves their secondaries up.

March 02 2007 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply