September 1, 2014

Survivor Fiji: Let's Call Jeff on the Jeff Phone

by Deidre Woollard, posted Mar 2nd 2007 6:34AM
survivor(S14E04) One of the reasons I still remain interested in Survivor is because it is fascinating to see how people react in various situations. So far this season hadn't really been too interesting to watch on that level despite the allure of the premise. It's been more painful than fun, Tonight changed that for me with a twist that asked a rather simple question, if you had to choose between your tribe and your comfortable camp, which would you choose?

We begin this week with another Rocky rant. Rocky, who seems to be getting the most screen time of anyone this season chides Anthony on being a man saying he only tolerates whining from "broads" like his crazy aunt. Oh Rocky, you charmer, I bet the ladies love you.

Meanwhile over at Moto they are still dealing with an ailing Papa Smurf. He is covered in rashes and dizzy. Can't someone send him home?Lisi is her usual charming self about the situation saying she doesn't want to have to babysit him. As if they have anything else to do over at Moto. They haven't exactly been concerned about survival the way that Ravu has been.

The reward challenge is fish, spices, pillows and a bed basically all the comforts that Ravu lacks. The famished Ravu tribe takes off to an early lead in a balance challenge that is a bit fun for watching Lisi fall into the water repeatedly. But then Anthony messes up causing Rocky to start to go crazy as Moto takes the lead. I would be the same way if I watched my team fail over and over again. Yau-Man gets sent to Exile Island.

Moto now essentially lives better than some of them probably did back home. Meanwhile Rocky has one of the best meltdowns I have ever seen on Survivor. He is so furious. He rages, he cries, he growls and caps off each offensive statement with "no offense." Meanwhile Earl and Anthony bond over gathering firewood and Mookie for once stays quiet.

Finally Gary goes home. Alex seems quite concerned about what this means for strategy but after watching Rocky et al starving over at Ravu it's hard to muster up any sympathy. At least they have food.

I'm not sure why Rocky dresses up in drag for the immunity challenge but it's pretty cute. At least he is trying something new. The immunity challenges which involves locks, rowing, and an obstacle course, comes with a note for the winning tribe.

Moto easily pulls ahead and despite Ravu's best efforts they coast to victory. The magic bottle gives Moto a choice, the chance to keep their camp or the chance to vote someone out. Finally a decent twist in the game. I'm not surprised that Moto elects to keep the camp. Disappointed, but not surprised. The bonding that comes with adversity has not happened for this team.

We now get to see how Moto really operates. Back at camp, Dreamz comes right out and says that Lisi and Cassandra are expendable. Personally I'd love to see Lisi go because she has a habit of mocking Ravu and generally seems to not be a great competitor. Dreamz keeps hectoring the team to decide but most people keep silent. Lisi meanwhile galvanizes her team of five to go after Liliana even though she is one of the toughest players.

At tribal council, Lisi talks about Dreamz's little speech. She calls it a soliloquy which seems to be a very unfamiliar word to Dreamz. He tries to pronounce it coming out instead with a word that sounds a little like Shaquille. One thing that isn't stressed by Jeff is the fact that this team choose their comfort over their bond. You'd think he would have some comment about how the teams loves their couch more than each other. The tribe gets rid of Liliana, a dumb move since she is one of the strongest women on the tribe, proving that Lisi's fivesome is firm. Obnoxious and vile, but firm.

Oh, and what was up with the clip of the snake that seemed to be vomiting up another snake or maybe molting? Did I accidentally switch over to Animal Planet?

Next week: finally a Dreamz versus Rocky battle of the dumb nicknames face off?

Erika

I wish they would make a rule that says you can't make alliances - or at the very least you can't discuss who you're voting off. Then you would see who votes for personal reasons and who votes for the good of the tribe. And you'd see who can't make their own decisions!!

March 05 2007 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Too bad the producers of Survivor didn't sit in on some of our Survivor chats last season. There were some really great ideas like: Duel Survivor - have two seperate games running at the same time on two locations and when they think they are down to a single tribe introduce them to each other; Extreme Survivor where the tribe members are more assertive in the challenges, etc and Twin Survivor - tribes are made up of identical twins - I really would like to see that one.

March 02 2007 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

David, I think that if Moto chose immunity they were going to be carted right to Ravu's beach and vice versa. Though, of course, we'll not know unless it happens again.

At first I thought that it was silly to choose comfort, but I have changed my mind. Moto has dominated the challenges in part because they are healthier and less stressed. Why hand Ravu such a big advantage? Keep the comfort, lose a member, keep winning rewards and immunity challenges.

And, to clarify my earlier comment, I will keep watching the show. I am long past hooked. I just worry that they are losing too much audience, and this season's group is just not that great.

I do like the single tribe, everything is personal immunity idea, though.

March 02 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

John,
So you watched 2 maybe 3 episodes, and it's a big time loser??? I just love how people can talked about something they have no information on .

No one knows who they're really pulling for until it gets down to on tribe. And now that the rich tribe had to vote someone off. As Lisi said it's group of 5 not 6. What until she's not even part of the 5.

March 02 2007 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

BobbyBuz,

It's lose/win for Moto. They have to switch to the "have nots" camp, but they get immunity, which is the most important thing in the game, bar none.

Having immunity is never a bad thing, because it's the only assurance you have you'll be around after the night's Tribal Council. Everything else is just window dressing. :)

March 02 2007 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC

I don't know what everyone's thoughts are on this, but I think Survivor has lost something the past few seasons -- its grown stale in my opinion. I still watch the show, but not like I did in the early seasons, and I feel like if I miss a show or two its no big deal. The past few seasons are more like been there done that before or a rerun with different faces playing the same parts.

Each time there has been a "new" twist that season they always go back to the regular survivor a few episodes later...like men vs. women; 4 tribes based on race; and this years everyone's on one island together at the beginning. THESE WERE ALL VERY INTERESTING TWISTS THAT WERE SCRAPED WAY TOO SOON IN THE GAME. Why?

Personally, here is what I would like to see:

I would like a season where they take the 16/18/20 contestants and put them all together from the start -- everyone versus everyone completely throughout the game.

You could still have some "team" competitions by drawing names from a hat where the winners were safe from vote; have reward challenges where they winner had to pick 1-2 people to share rewards to create the conflict; make the team challenges physical (strength, swimming, ect) whenever there was an even number, and when its uneven numbers make the team challenges more mental (memory, puzzles, eating insects); plus they could do more individual events like standing on poles or other similar challenges.

I think it would be an interesting concept to see whom aligns with whom to make pacts, yet by random "team" drawings they would probably compete against one another, and by making the challenges as much mental as physical that no one would have a clear advantage. With the people all together in one area trying to find food, fire, shelter there would be a lot of drama that the network wants.

The game is out wit, out last, out play -- so why not an everyone versus everyone Survivor? Surely its worth a chance to spice things up!

I would like to see other thoughts on this idea!

March 02 2007 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

anyone who says that they were wrong for choosing to go to tribal council needs to get a clue. By giving the other team not only all the comforts of their camp but also the fishing gear it puts them at a major disadvantage. Believe me, I am sure everyone on Ravu would sell YaoMan up the river for a bed and some of that fish. Youve seen how much weight it appears ravu has lost and how weak everyone on the team appears to be. I think if they would have given them the camp it would be looked back on as the stepping stone that let ravu back in this game. Now if ravu does get back in it because moto has to deal with the weak cassandra rather than liliana thats a whole different story.

My post was written on the assumption that when they traded camps EVERYTHING (the fishing equipment, the spices and everything else they won that day, sofa/bed) stayed there. Do you think i am right or do you think moto could have brought anything they could carry?

March 02 2007 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Yeah, Robert and Doug! Survivor is a big time loser this season. Yes, INDEED, it will not survive on the current track. I too stopped watching several weeks ago. Who needs to spend an hour with a bunch of boring losers? There is not an interesting cat in the crowd. BOO-HISS! BOO-HISS! BOO-HISS! On another note: Even one of my other favorites has become unwatchable this season: The Greatest Race. It is tough to decided which one is more boring. I will not be watching either one to find out.

March 02 2007 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

I am sure that it was just one message. It said, to paraphrase a little, you have now won the challenge but this bottle gives you a choice. You can either choose comfort or immunity - choose to live in Moto's camp and go to tribal council, or choose to live in Ravu's camp and stay immune.

If Moto wins, they must change camps to retain immunity. If Ravu wins, they must stay in camp to retain immunity. But the message is the same - you have won, but rather than simply winning immunity what you won is a choice between comfort and immunity.

Ugh, most of the contestants still in who are getting camera time this year are unlikeable. I don't think that the show can survive too many more seasons with dopes like this. (Pun intended.)

March 02 2007 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

Max/David: perhaps I'm missing something, but your description of the "twist" makes it a Win/Win for Ravu and Lose/Lose for Moto. What am I missing?

March 02 2007 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply