October 31, 2014

ABC pulls The Knights of Prosperity from the schedule

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 5th 2007 7:21PM
The Knights of ProsperityWho knew that putting a niche-y comedy up against American Idol, then sandwiching it between two aging and unfunny shows, was a bad strategy? Just about everyone, including me. But that didn't stop ABC from putting The Knights of Prosperity at 8:30 on Wednesdays, between According to Jim and George Lopez. The strategy was designed to give the show a bit of a safety net, taking it away from the 9 PM airing of Idol, but the ratings remained anemic, sinking like a rock when Idol started airing at 8.

So, ABC did the inevitable and pulled the show from the schedule, starting this week, replacing it with reruns of Jim and Lopez. No word on whether the pulled episodes (the announcement linked above lists three) will be rescheduled. But given the fact that the show only averaged just over five million viewers, it doesn't seem likely the show will return any time soon.

[thanks to Trevor for the tip]

Bruce Stamile

Did Seinfeld start out against American Idol? If it did whaaaaaaats the result? Come on ABC dont drop the ball again. This shows got the energy. It needs more than 4 weeks and being lined up against Goliath. Give it a shot....its sooooo funny. Please and thanks.

May 17 2007 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

what the *&^%?! why the h - e -double hockey-sticks would you cancel this great and very entertaining show? i really enjoyed it! put it back on! put it back on NOW!!! we want the Knights of Prosperity! take off that stupid show George Lopez... shouldn't he be on Univision or something like that anyway?

April 02 2007 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clintonstitch

This was the best show ABC has had since "Hart to Hart"...
We should rob who ever made this decision. I feel like Rockefellar Butts when he got shot in the panic room.

Jerry Beeks

March 14 2007 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DCslim

I was shocked when Jim was on at 8:30 AND 9:00 this week vs. KOP. May KOP RIP if it ended with Ripa. Was looking forward them bungling the RR ripoff. We finally get a sitcom with half a brain and its already gone. Maybe Louis CK and Donal can hook up.

March 09 2007 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

Bob Loblaw, do you have a Law Blog? (sorry, I had to)

Can anyone confirm that at least it is not totally cancelled? Also, what's the best way to go about a "save the show" campaign? I'm trying to figure out what could be done, just as a pre-emptive measure.

March 07 2007 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grizetal

That sucks ... I just don't get it ABC ... I honestly liked the show and couldn't wait to see what the Knights did next. KOP was one of the few comedies I would label as a "laugh out loud" fun show. So what does ABC do ... it takes a great show off the air and leaves shows like "George Lopez" & "According to Jim" & "In Case of Emergency" on the air. Sorry, but I just don't get it. To the writers & producers; to the staff & crew and most of all to the awesome cast of the "Knights" ... you were awesome .. hillarious .. fun to watch. Thank you! You deserve awards ... you were great! Really !!

March 06 2007 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
willw

Thanks for the info Bob Loblaw.

ABC recently advertised the show as a hit comedy or something, so it would seem strange for them to completely cancel it.

Holding the Ray Ramano episodes to re-launch the show sounds good, let it get a bigger following.

March 06 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrienne

I'm not shocked at this revelation. From the first time I read a summary of the show, I knew it would be a bust. I feel the same way about the Caveman show ABC has ordered. It amazed me how I can almost always tell if a show will bomb, but the networks can't.

March 06 2007 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hanna S.

Agreed to every one of these comments! Now, everybody e-mail ABC.com and tell them how you feel - tell your friends to tell their friends, etc..... It could really help, it has in the past. ABC needs to know that this show CAN succeed if they give it a freakin' chance. A new comedy in a good time slot is hard enough to survive. But No. 1, delaying it from its original Fall premiere and then putting it up against American Idol in January??? Please E-mail ABC.com - every day, several times a day! We could make a difference!! I'm sick of the same old comedies, too - this one is unique and deserves a fair chance!!!!

March 06 2007 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Cohen

As everyone said above, it was starting to find its stride. I hope the Tao of Steve gets into another show, I think he's grrrrreat.

March 06 2007 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply