November 23, 2014

Family Guy: Airport '07

by Brett Love, posted Mar 5th 2007 7:55AM
Quagmire - Family Guy(S05E12) Looking back on this one, as an admitted Stewie fan, I'm surprised that I liked it as much as I did. For the most part, my favorite Family Guy episodes are those where Stewie gets his own feature plot. He was relegated to Meg or Chris background status here, but the episode was still one of the best of the season.

Chalk a lot of that up to giving Quagmire a chance to shine. He's a great character, so it's nice to get to see him used a little more on occasion. If the experiment with Stewie and Brian's talk show, Up Late, goes well, I wouldn't mind seeing Quagmire get his own show. Maybe something along the lines of Midnight Q from "PTV." He did have the line of the night with his "...contents of your panties may have shifted..." bit after missing the flight.

Peter finding the identity he'd been searching for his whole life, that of a redneck, was a long way to go to get to him being the cause of Quagmire getting fired, but it was worth the trip. There were a lot of fun bits in the redneck segment. The guys from Blue Collar Comedy are a good target for parody and I liked how they did it here. Brian not telling Stewie about the spit in his apple juice because of the flashback to the beating bookie-Stewie gave him in "Patriot Games" was a nice touch. And Peter sitting on the lawn-couch, feet in the wading pool, while hitting on Meg was very funny. Quite creepy, but still very funny.

The action surrounding the plane crash was well done, with one small exception. All of the Asian women escaping Quagmire's place was funny, especially with his line, "They're tagged! They're tagged!" I also liked Peter jacking the fuel line because of his Top Gun truck dream. The bit with the camera was a nice detail. Tom's news report, with the recreations, was also good. But I did think that by the third recreation, with the survivor beating his wife, it had gone on too long. Bunnies on fire are funny though. Another Star Wars reference with Quagmire's co-pilot, though I have to say, not being a Star Wars person, I don't know who that little guy is. I saw him and immediately thought of his role as co-pilot to Dr. Orpheus on The Venture Bros., where, again, I only recognized him as that little guy from Star Wars that I have no idea about.

Peter's plan to get Quagmire's job back was doomed from the start, of course. It was Peter's plan after all. Where would the fun be if it didn't all go to hell? My favorite part of that failed caper was the SOS call. Peter not wanting to have people die while watching Queen Latifah in Last Holiday felt like a classic Family Guy line. Paid off again when they turn the movie on after the landing as well.

It was nice that they got Hugh Hefner to play himself, and I like that he had his Girls Next Door harem with him. If they are going to the trouble of getting a big guest star though, I would like to see them do a little more. That was an awfully quick scene.

As far as the cutaways this week, it was a nice collection. Cosmos for rednecks was my favorite of the bunch. Marlee Matlin was a little mean, but funny. And funny usually trumps mean. The Peter crotch shot was good, with bonus points for having him in the limo with Paris Hilton. The Michael Richards joke was funny, but could have been much better. I would have happily traded a verse of "Prom Night Dumpster Baby" for some animated Kramer. I appreciate the time and effort that goes in to crafting those numbers, but it did feel a little long. The only one of the cutaways I didn't really care for was the hot girl with a bad laugh. Overall, a really good episode.

Will

Funny episode. I liked the Will & Grace parody, Lois' reaction to Peter's nut joke, and the other possible outcomes of the plane crash.

March 18 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

Although I couldn't help finding the "Prom Night Dumpster Babies" number disturbing (it's amazing how sensitized you get to that sort of thing when you're a parent), it _was_ funny -- the bit of choreography with the babies twirling their umbilical cords was as brilliant as it was nauseating.

I must admit I have a certain stark admiration for the ability of the Family Guy creative staff to not merely push the envelope, but actually rip it to shreds, piss on it and set fire to it. I'm almost impossible to offend, and that came within a hair's breadth (probably because of the aforementioned parental sensitivity).

Still, it's just a cartoon, so the day they actually do manage to offend me, rather than changing the channel, I will be forced to give them a grudging standing ovation. And I fully expect them to get there before the end of the season, given their current arc.

March 08 2007 at 6:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

I think this was the best Family guy so far! I loved the Dumpster Baby song, and the recreations of the plane crash was pretty funny too, especially the bunnies. I thought the best part was when Quagmire was on the plan and the was talking to the people on board an kept the "Uhhhhhhh" going after each time he gave out flight information.

March 05 2007 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Steve: Airplane's music (which I know very, very well) wasn't taken from Airport, and that's what the last 10 minutes of the show used. I'm also pretty sure Airport didn't have the "win one for the Ziffer" speech that Hugh Hefner was spoofing.

Since I'm a thousand times more familiar with Airplane than I am with Airport, it's possible a lot of the things that seemed Airplane-y to me were actually Airport parodies, but those two examples stick out in my mind as Airplane-only.

March 05 2007 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

Steve,
I didn't see any of the Airport movies, but was there a pep talk with the Notre Dame fight song playing in the background?

March 05 2007 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Bill,

It wasn't a spoof of "Airplane." It was a spoof of "Airport," which was a series of disaster movies from the '70s. Essentially, they went back to the original source for their spoof. There weren't any "Airplane" spoofs in the episode, though they did do one a few weeks ago (telling someone to calm down while smacking them around, with a long line of people waiting their turn).

Also, "Prom Night Dumpster Baby" was very funny and surprisingly well-written from a song standpoint.

March 05 2007 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brooks Williams

I think some of the fans missed the entire point of the wife beating joke, and that basically is that news outlets such as Fox News or CNN like to take sad news stories and explode them as much as they can to mess with viewers and get bigger ratings.

March 05 2007 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Yes, with Prom Night Dumpster Baby, only Family Guy could find a way to top the You've Got Aids skit. Very wrong but had me laughing at the same time.

Great episode last night, one of my favorites.

March 05 2007 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

"The Peter crotch shot was good, with bonus points for having him in the limo with Paris Hilton."

No 'bonus points' awarded here, since that was the whole joke. The photo they used was from December's Britney Spears crotch-shot incident, during which she was entering Paris' car after a night of partying. They posed Peter the same way, everything. That was the gag.

Prom Night Dumpster Baby might be one of the most disturbing things on TV... How does Family Guy keep topping itself like that?

March 05 2007 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

The musical bit with the dumpster babies was crude and not at the expense of being funny, 'cos it wasnt.
Ditto on the the 3rd Tom Tucker scenario with the wife beating. I realize tasteless is what makes the show funny most often, but not last night.

March 05 2007 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply