August 1, 2014

The Daily Show: March 5, 2007

by Annie Wu, posted Mar 5th 2007 11:59PM
Jon Stewart"M*E*S*S": God, this was so depressing. Our wounded soldiers are being treated in awful conditions. Senior Military Analyst John Oliver elaborated on the situation. There is no longer any doubt in my mind: John Oliver lives in the Daily Show studio.

"Dodge Caravan": What was up with that Tony Snow clip? It looked like it was pulled from, like, YouTube or something. Damn interns and their inability to find high-quality clips. Anyway, this segment actually managed to top the "M*E*S*S" bit and make me even more depressed. What a downer.

The night's guest was Bob Woodruff, former co-anchor of World News Tonight and co-author of In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing. Okay, so... this interview went past "moving" and jumped straight into "super-depressing". Yes. This, in some ways, was even more depressing than the beginning of the episode. Ugh. I think I'm just going to crawl into a fetal position and cry for two or three... days.

Jon/Stephen: Stephen Colbert was the Aspen Comedy Festival's Man of the Year! Whoo-hoo! Moment of Zen: The soldiers' hospital is not considered sub-standard? Ugh. Back into my fetal position.

Karen

You're right, Annie; they've been using Jon Oliver so much it IS like he lives at the studio. I, for one, couldn't be happier. He's the best new correspondent since Samantha Bee (in my opinion, Dan Bakkedahl, Jason Jones, and Rob Riggle have all been losers, and John Hodgman and Dmitri Martin aren't listed as correspondents)!

Yes, last night was more angry than funny, but I have to say I like seeing Jon Stewart's moral outrage from time to time. And I did laugh during the Woodruff interview; I thought he was very funny. I thought it went from moving to uplifting, not from moving to depressing.

March 06 2007 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davy Fields

I really can't stand John Oliver, and seriously... I'm abroad for the semester and bought a season pass for 16 Daily Shows so when I watched it over that concentrated a period, I realized how prevalent he is... and it's really a shame, because I don't find him to be funny at all... I know it's lucrative to jump ship from the show like the Steves did, but perhaps Comedy Central needs to lock future correspondents down into longer term deals because the show loses something when John Oliver's on there this much.

March 06 2007 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fatalgoldfish

Yes, it was a downer--but I'm glad TDS did it, and that The Colbert Report later mentioned TDS' report. No, TDS is not the MSM, several branches of which barely carried out *their* responsibility to cover the Walter Reed story--which is why I think TDS did it and sounded so angry.

March 06 2007 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Definitely a downer. But hey if the Dead Like Me episode was a first season one, before Brian Fuller left to work his magic on Wonderfalls, any excuse to check it out is a good one.

March 06 2007 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

This episode was really depressing and not funny at all. Do they think they are a real news show now? Nah... they are at best Fox News.

It was so depressing I ended up watching an episode of Dead Like Me! DLM isn't the most upbeat show around and it was still better than todays TDS.

March 06 2007 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Violeta

Wow, that was fast. I'm guessing you wanted to leave more time to crawl away and huddle in the fetal position. Anyone else suprised they didn't mention the Ann Coulter thing? Although maybe they don't want to give her the attention she sorely seems to be courting, and which I now gave her.

March 06 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply