September 1, 2014

Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll: Pilot (series premiere)

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 6th 2007 10:01PM

Pussycat Dolls(S01E01) Are you the only person on earth who isn't sick of the song "Don't Cha?" Well, you're in luck. You can hear it over and over again on the newest reality show from the CW.

Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll is the perfect show to audition for if you are too slutty for American Idol, too untalented for America's Next Top Model and too stupid for The Apprentice.

You may remember the host of the show, Mark McGrath as the lead singer of the band Sugar Ray. Personally, I have a hard time respecting someone who quits being one of the handsomest lead singers around to become a poor man's Chris Harrison.

Also, on hand, is the founder of the Dolls herself, Robin Antin. For you Blow Out fans, Robin is Jonathan Antin's more masculine sister. In the opening, Robin says the Pussycat Dolls are "always evolving." Sadly, that statement does not apply to Robin herself.

All the girls in the competition are indistinguishable from one another, which seems to be exactly what Robin is looking for. Five minutes into the show, I felt like I had gone back in time and was watching the first season Popstars. It only made things worse when Pussycat lead singer and former Eden's Crush finalist Nicole Scherzinger showed up to help out the girls.

Amazingly, the oldest girl in the competition is 24 years old. At one point, she calls herself "the mature one." This turns out to actually be the truth when she is one of the few girls to get a decent nights sleep and avoids getting a virus that makes half the girls violently ill. Which brings me to my next point... I understand that the girls illness adds a much-needed level of drama to the show but did we have to see repeated scenes of actual vomiting? I feel sorry for those of you who decided to check the show out during dinner. Many of these ladies looked like they were so close to death I started thinking the show might actually be part of a murderous plot to eliminate America's hottest women.

I've never been a fan of the Dolls or their "music" but those of you who enjoy songs that rhyme "button, fronting and nothing" might just find this show enjoyable.

The best part of the show had to be the end when one of the girls declared, "I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me." In that case, I suggest you avoid doing math in public.

Selena

I actually think the girls of America's Top Model are a lot uglier than The Search for the Next Doll. The girls here have a much better sense of fashion too.

April 25 2007 at 5:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
luva79

Asia wins!

April 25 2007 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
luva79

wickpedia says Asia was the winner.

April 25 2007 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I watched the repeat of the Pussycat Dolls premiere that I missed last week. It was quite good, not the throwaway junk of others that copy Idol. I liked that Nicole Scherzinger was there to see the 18 hopefuls perform. But I was offended at the scenes where some of the girls threw up and vomited after the concert. There must have been a serious virus. Did we need to see that? That was a very low point on TV! They want to show everything, but those parts should have been cut out. And I've never seen a medical team backstage helping the sick individuals; oh they were ready if one was to pass out. As with the reviewer comparing it to Popstars, oh that show was AWFUL(!) this was before Idol ever came out when boy bands were all the rage. These shows, especially Making the Band, didn't think about longevity when creating these groups from TV. Now they've all broken up. This is an interesting show, but they've gone way over the top with the empowerment part, yet were skimpy clothes in public to parallel with the group. Lastly, why put it against American Idol? Don't they know that they'll get CRUSHED in the ratings while 30-31 million people are watching Idol? But they don't care--they know that this is a one-time only thing that will be rushed to DVD quickly.

March 14 2007 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MY2CENTS

i also watched the pcd reality show and agree that there was way too much vomitting scenes! i also agree with some of the other commenters..why another member? nicole is definitely the "lead" and the others..well..just "fill in" here and there throughout their songs.

my 2 cents? this was a way to get their name out there again... more like a "campaign" or to gain expoure to the public.

we'll see what's in store in the next episode.

aloha to nicole...a former kama'aina from hawai'i representing!

thank you.

March 10 2007 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heyLA

The song Nicole did with Puffy sucks tailpipe! Puff Puff Puffy needs to stop. His vocals on latest single sucks too. As far as having 7th member.... I know I would be pissed having to split my paycheck 7 ways!!! I might as well go back to McDonalds... "Don't you wish your nuggets were hot like me?"

March 07 2007 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

women with adams apples and painted on eyebrows are not really a turn on.

March 07 2007 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I remembered Eden's Crush. I played their only album over and over in summer 2001! Even played it on a road trip in July '01 in Louisiana. I still have it--it was a fun pop album. Nicole Scherzinger was obviously the best singer in that group. They had potential, but being created from TV was their only drawback. I liked that she moved on and has done well with the Pussycat Dolls. And, I LOVE the duet she did with Avant on his album and the song she did with Diddy on his.

March 07 2007 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think that the Pussycat Dolls are okay with 6 members. Why do they need a 7th? I saw their live DVD from London (which was a scant 30 minutes(!) and they were good. I think they're so jealous of popular rival girl group Danity Kane stealing their thunder the past 7 months, so they add a 7th member to get even. It looks so exploitative and trampy!

March 07 2007 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan

I really don't get why they need a 7th member when the other 5 girls do nothing but dance and look slutty. So number 7 will just be another dancer/stripper? That's so pointless and stupid. They all know it's about that sexy Nicole chick. It's pretty much her with 5-6 dancers prancing around behind her!

But as a guy their videos are quite eye popping :p But as a music fan this has to be one of the worst 'bands' ever.

March 07 2007 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply