September 18, 2014

What did you watch at 9pm last night?

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 6th 2007 8:41AM

Two and a Half MenMonday nights at 9 has become one of the major time slots on the networks these days. On NBC you have the megahit Heroes. Over on CBS there's the comedy smash Two and a Half Men, and FOX has 24. What do you watch?

The Los Angeles Times has a piece about the battle for viewers in the time slot, and they say that over 45 million people are watching the three shows at that time. The paper wonders if one of the networks will blink next season and move one of the shows to let it breathe a little bit. Though no one is planning that as of yet.

I watch Heroes. I never got into 24 (I was watching Alias a few years ago and didn't want to get involved in another spy drama), and Two and a Half Men hasn't interested me at all this season (I'm sure it's more Heroes being in that time slot than anything else).

Oh, and USA has Monday Night RAW, which is usually the number one show on cable.

Monique

Well i watch Heroes cause i can never get caught up with 24 in time at first i would switch put things got crazy so i fell behind on 24 so now i just rec. it so i watch Heroes
and yes HOw I meNt YouR MothEr is great and The Class is mad funny.

March 07 2007 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Schumann

Heroes is TiVoed (in HD, of course), and then the Black Donnelys. Sometimes the second tuner gets a workout with Prison break - but that show is not HD-worthy yet (and gets recorded on an SD TiVo).

24? What is that? The show with that awful over-actor Sutherland in the 'lead'? Ewww!

March 06 2007 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Add me to the time-shifting list. I watched a DVD from Netflix at 9 PM last night, and then watched "Heroes" on my DVR at around 11, while "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" were recording.

Since I have a DVR and not a TiVo (as I understand it), I could also have recorded either "2 1/2 Men" OR "24" simultaneously, but I don't watch either of those shows.

I agree with the others--the timeslot of shows is becoming increasingly irrelevant with DVR technology and networks offering shows for download. The percentage of TV viewers who use those options may not be overwhelming yet, but the tide is turning. I would think that, soon, time slot battles will be as easy to find as a working payphone on the street.

March 06 2007 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I used to watch Heroes at 9. But I've lost interest in the show. Ever since they found their powers the show has slowed down. If they don't start using their powers for something awesome, I'm never coming back to that show.

So at 9, I take a shower. It's quite refreshing. Then at 930, I watch Rules of Engagement.

March 06 2007 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I watch 24 and during commercials I catch glimpses of Heros followed by Black Donneleys.

March 06 2007 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

At 9:00 last night I was watching the Simpsons episode "Treehouse of Horror 7" and recording 24 to watch later.

March 06 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Although I love 24 and really don't care for Heroes, I understand completely why Heroes is prevailing in the ratings. Heroes is the comic book you pick up at the dime store each week. It's accessable, instantaneous entertainment. It doesn't require a whole lot of mental or emotional energy to digest it. 24 is a series of pulp novels with a political slant that forces you to wade through filler chapters to get to the conclusion. And the novels vary in quality and excitement. Being a book reader, I prefer 24. But I understand that a lot of people want to escape behind the pages of colorful comics. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

March 06 2007 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edd

Torrents all the way - why would I choose TV over it?

I hope some TV execs peruse this thread. Stop making your awkward attempts to get involved with TV online. Just put your shows out on a locked torrent and charge $1 per episode. 90 per cent of the market would happily pay a small charge if you did it right - piracy is only an issue now because you will not give us 174mb Divx torrents to use as we wish, and you do not distribute the show world-wide at the first opportunity. And you will awkwardly fit shows around your timeslots, putting your best shows head-to-head, solely concerned with raising the most ad-revenue possible in during the first screening. You also hide your best shows like ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT into little corners and make first-viewing advertising revenue based on outmoded Neilson ratings as your sole justification for producing a show. Doing as I suggest would give you an outright dollar per viewer per episode, with no distribution costs. So you wouldn't have to include in the cost of distribution paying for a factory to produce a DVD, get a factory to make a box, ship that DVD out on a big ship, get that ship unloaded and the DVDs through a distribution channel, get individual lorries to go to individual stores, and then finally get the customer to walk his little feet down to the shops to pick it up. Instead, you get an outright dollar, or after 22 eps close to the cost of a season DVD with no charges.

Sorry, a long rant. I'm just sick of good showing's dying because the execs care about week-by-week ratings. First-run TV does not matter anymore.

March 06 2007 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I DVR Two and a Half Men and watch Six Feet Under on Bravo.

March 06 2007 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

I watch "Six Feet Under" on Bravo, since I don't have Showtime and missed the original run except when I was visiting my sister halfway across the state. Second choice is the current BBC America mystery movie or series, currently "Silent Witness"; usually I catch this on the 1:00AM rebroadcast. "24" gets recorded to watch later. Nothing else is on the radar.

March 06 2007 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply