April 19, 2014

FCC gets 150 complaints about the Super Bowl

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 7th 2007 4:43PM

Prince at the Super BowlThe Federal Communications Commission got 150 complaints about the content of this year's big game. They centered on two events: one was the phallic imagery generated by Prince during his halftime show (pic on the right). Can you guess the other one?

Yup, that Snickers ad with the two guys kissing (Snickers has since pulled the commercial).

The Smoking Gun has the documents, and some of the complaints are hilarious. One viewer says that Prince's giant penis guitar shadow had a traumatic effect on his son: "[my son] hoped to be a quarterback and now he will turn out gay...thanks CBS for turning my son GAY." Another viewer said "God knows I didn't turn on the Super Bowl expecting to be tricked into watching gay sex," which makes me wonder where he usually goes to not be tricked into watching gay sex.

I wonder what these people think about football players slapping each other on the rear after good plays, and then taking showers together after a game. NAKED!

[via TV Tattle]

bgdc

I assume some of those are jokes. The guy talking about his inability to perform after seeing the size of Prince's junk obviously ranks as a joke. The gay son thing also seems like a joke.

March 08 2007 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

David, there's no need to reinforce stereotypes, like that ridiculous comment (however kidding you may or may not have been) about the priest and the kid on his lap. You're just as bad as the morons who made those FCC complaints.

And also, it's painfully obvious that the first comment was a joke or prank, especially after hearing about the deleted HIV line. There's no way someone can actually think that way, it's too ridiculous.

March 08 2007 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

The only complaint..actually two that I have is why did Prince perform anyways? And the other is just shut up about this whole gay thing and stop trying to provoke something that is going to cause problems.

March 07 2007 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

I actually looked at some of the complaints on The Smoking Gun website, and you want to know what the excised part of the "Thanks for making my son GAY!" quote was??

It was "I am actually considering to check him for HIV." What is *wrong* with people?

March 07 2007 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

"Hell, Bob got that many complaints about his Studio 60 reviews here on TVS. :-)"

Well in that case I agree that he should be ban from anything dealing with Studio 60.

March 07 2007 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Haunt

Okay, humanity is LONG overdue for a f***ing extinction! Seriously. Or at the very least we need to consider concentration camps. There is simply nothing funny about the thought that asshats like the guy that thinks his kid will turn gay from watching Prince's phallic shadow are actually out there sucking up my precious oxygen.

So listen up, hairless apes. If you are one of those inbred knuckle draggers that actually wrote a letter to the FCC about this crap, know that my deepest, fondest wish as of this moment is to see you lead into a "shower" and gassed till you stop twitching.

March 07 2007 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I wish people would understand that something you see or hear can't "turn" someone gay. You can't change what gender you're attracted to any more than you can change your height. But this is a whole different topic.

Considering the tens of millions of people who watched the superbowl and considering how many stupid people there are in this country, 150 complaints is nothing.

Hell, Bob got that many complaints about his Studio 60 reviews here on TVS. :-)

March 07 2007 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVGenius

I'd love to see them try to fine CBS for the halftime show. After Justin Timberlake & Janet Jackson's stupid stunt (that CBS had no part in), the NFL insisted on producing future halftime shows. So if anything, the FCC needs to fine the NFL, just like they went after Bono, not NBC, for his stunt at the Golden Globes. It shouldn't be the broadcaster's fault if someone who should know how to behave on live television does something stupid. I'm all for having delays on stuff where the public can be dumb, but you'd think that celebrities (vapid as they may be) could at least figure out what to do.

March 07 2007 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Cohen

Yes, please get rid of the overt man kissing and semi-phalluc images from football and get it back to its roots: muscular men in tight pants prancing around and dancing on a field of grass.

March 07 2007 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The FCC is outdated and should be gone in todays world.

But if the FCC gets like 100 complaints they sue the station for millions. BC has a point. A priest in a church could tell hundreds about the Super Bowl and go "Everyone write in and tell the FCC we don't want TV turning our kids gay, that's my job. Little Jimmy come sit on my lap". The FCC needs to be ban now and the south needs to be nuked.

Sorry relitives down there, it's for the good of the country.

March 07 2007 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply