October 22, 2014

Man makes apartment look like Voyager set

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 7th 2007 11:42AM
Tony Alleyne and his Voyager apartmentSay you were divorced and living in a studio-sized flat outside of London. You want to make your "bachelor pad" into something where you not only feel comfortable but shows that you've got something going on in your life. So what do you think your best decorating choice would be? Ultra-modern? IKEA-tastic? Traditional and homey?

How 'bout "Voyager transporter room?" Not exactly my first choice, but that's what Tony Alleyne chose, according to a profile at ElectronicHouse.com. About three years ago, he decided to transform his studio into the transporter room of what he felt used the best material of all the Star Trek starships; he called it "the luxury liner of the galaxy."

He handcrafted everything in the apartment except the plumbing; the transporter console alone took him two years, and it doesn't do much more than make the transporter sound. He spent so much money on the project, he had to file for bankruptcy. But now that it's done, he's looking to sell it (for $200,000), move into a bigger space and transform that.

I wonder if Rachel Cericola, the woman who reported the story for ElectronicHouse, was the first one in the apartment since Tony started his remodel. I'm pretty sure she'll be the last.

[via Pop Candy]

Wanda

Oh my God. I just happened to be cruising the site and came across this story. This is a perfect example of why I've always said that even though I enjoyed watching Star Trek,there was no way I was a Trekkie. I just can not imagine spending that kind of money on something so ludicris.

March 29 2007 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bd

Of all the Trek series...

March 07 2007 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

The BBC did a feature on this guy last year as part of its 'My Science Fiction Life' special (on BBC4, if memory serves). In their segment, they showed him vacuuming the place, which was strangely funny... but mostly sad.

March 07 2007 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

March 07 2007 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
junyo

It costs $200,000 because the transport pads actually work.

March 07 2007 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

I can understand spending a lot of money on star trek memorabilia, in so much as I can understand spending a lot on any sort of object of that nature. I could even understand transforming a room in your house so that it's decorated in a style that fits something you enjoy like Star Trek, after all people decorate their houses in all sorts of different ways, why not a TV show. What I in no way can understand is how that in any way cost $200,000 to do.

March 07 2007 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Talk about a loser, and after Voyager? Ehh... Voyager is just TNG ripoff, this guy makes all Star Trek fans look bad.

I would like to know how much he spent on the thing because $200,000 is insane. Of course Trekies did spent $500,000 on the Enterprise D model and $125,000 on a suit Doctor McCoy wore.

March 07 2007 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply