American Idol: Live Results Show #3

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Mar 8th 2007 11:10PM
Sabrina Sloan and Ryan Seacrest(S06E19) The show begins tonight with the group song, "Stuck in the Middle," reminding me of that infamous ear-torture scene in Reservoir Dogs. Because of that connection, the song seems inappropriate to me at first. Then again, with SANJAYA and HALEY inexplicably advancing to the finals, Idol is going to keep providing its own form of weekly "ear-torture," making the song oddly fitting.

The contestants received almost 37 million votes this week, but unfortunately SABRINA did not receive enough of them. And I'm shocked that Haley advances. I really didn't think she was popular enough to survive after three truly weak performances. Not surprisingly, JARED, ANTONELLA, and SUNDANCE also receive their walking papers tonight. I'm not sad to see any of them go. But I do think that things might get a bit duller without Sundance and Antonella in the competition. They certainly kept us buzzing, didn't they?

Whether we like it or not, the Top 12 finalists are: LaKisha Jones, Blake Lewis, Chris Sligh, Jordin Sparks, Phil Stacey, Melinda Doolittle, Brandon Rogers, Gina Glocksen, Chris Richardson, Stephanie Edwards, Haley Scarnato, and Sanjaya Malakar.

And I still cannot successfully predict how America will vote. Once again, I'm 50/50 after predicting Antonella, Haley, Jared, and Phil would go home. The AOL Top 24 Ranking Poll also got it half right once again. Sanjaya and Haley are both safe for another week! Who is voting for Sanjaya anyway? Certainly, not the people who take these polls or leave comments here at TVS.

Besides finding out the Top 12, we also got the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT tonight. As I surmised earlier today, BONO does have something to do with it. So does Africa and charity. American Idol has decided to use its extraordinary power to do some actual good. Under the banner, IDOL GIVES BACK, the show is going to raise millions of dollars and bring attention to the issue of poverty in Africa AND America. Simon and Ryan already traveled to Africa, and Randy and Paula are planning a trip to Louisiana.

On April 24 and 25, Idol will host "A Very Special Event." The theme will be "Inspirational Songs." Quincy Jones is already writing a song for the Top 6 finalists to sing. For every vote cast Tuesday night, Idol's sponsors (Coke, AT&T, etc) will donate money. On Wednesday, the people at home will have a chance to make individual donations, as well.

Wednesday night's show will include special guest appearances by Borat, Gwen Stefani, Pink, Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox, and more. According to Idol's press release, Bono said, "We'll see worlds collide when Africa appears on America's most-watched TV show. This is a big deal, a little bit of pop history . . . I wouldn't underestimate the reach of this show or the impact its audience can have."

Also on tonight's show:
  • Season Four's Idol, Carrie Underwood, performed her song "Wasted." Unlike Kellie Pickler, she still looks young and hasn't spent her money on new "shoes." However, I wasn't sure if her top was a shirt or a dress. It seemed a little short for a whole dress. She's not my favorite Idol, but is was ahright. I found it a bit odd that Ryan didn't ask her one question and she didn't speak at all. (Way to keep the show moving, Ryan).
  • The American Idol Challenge question was once again super-easy and lame, so I won't bother to transcribe it here.
  • Paula told Jared to continue his dream. Randy suggested he needs originality. Simon advised him to work on his vocals.
  • Stephanie tried to comfort Antonella after she was voted off, but Ryan cut the lovefest short, telling Stephanie to take her seat. Ryan is certainly the best at keeping things moving briskly. He doesn't EVER let emotion get in the way of "doing his job." Perhaps he is a robot?
  • It was Idol's 200th Episode, and Ryan called it "the most intense episode" they've had.
  • Randy said America got it wrong, "Sabrina should be in the Top 12, dog. She definitely put it down."
  • Paula was speechless when Sanjaya advanced. She told Sundance he's "one of our finest." Ryan asked Simon what he thinks happened, and Simon responded, "The sound was turned down?"
  • Sundance DIDN'T CRY, but he did ask America for a job!
  • Ryan made us laugh (and cringe a little too) with a joke about Randy wanting to wrestle Borat in the nude.

So what'd you think? Are you happy with the Top 12? Or deeply disappointed?

Next Week: Tuesday is a TWO-HOUR show celebrating the music of Diana Ross. The Top 12 Boys AND Girls will perform together on the same night. On Wednesday, it's the Live Results Show #4.

For more Idol coverage, check out People.com.

Vote for your favorite Idol in AOL's latest poll.

StarDuck

Hey, 111 (camgreer), let me know how that vote fraud thing goes. If Barrack Obama wins the Democratic nomination, we'll need your expertise to find the black techno-wiz (oh wait, wrong racist stereotype, but you'll think of something) who won the primaries for him. (Same with if Hilary wins. Bad enough we let them vote, now they're cheating to beat good hard working white people)?

Guess what, the show is called American IDOL, not American Singer, or American Talent. As many have pointed out, a true talent competition can't be properly judged by the lay public, and even with trained professionals making all the calls, it will still end up being a combination of objective (technical) ratings and some subjective tastes.
How many people (myself included) thought Britney Spears was horrible, yet she's made millions. At some point popularity can fuel itself, at least for a little while, even without real merit backing it. You don't need a living caricature of your race cheating for you for this to happen.

Oh, and camgreer, while we're on the subject of Indian stereotypes, I think the most common stereotypes are
1) non-acculturated convenience store owner - more concerned with Indian culture, Bollywood, etc. than American culture, and probably too busy to waste his time voting.
2) yuppie, assimilated, professional (mostly doctor, programmer, or engineer) - More concerned with fitting in to American culture. Having Sunjaya stay on TV longer is as harmful to the Indian-American image as William Hung was to Asian-Americans. Why would they vote to keep him on?

And one last lesson in democracy--the average voting masses make really dumb choices sometimes. I think that the people voted for Sunjaya are, by merit of their poor decision making, are unfit to vote for AI, yet they do. Honestly, I think quite a few people making comments here are, by merit of their closet racism, let out only through the veil of internet anonymity, shouldn't be allowed to vote in the U.S., yet they do.

Okay, that was a bit of a rant, but somebody needed to say it. It's funny, the ultra-PC think that being a "non-racist" means never criticizing a member of another race, never using the wrong words, and basically putting your head in the sand and ignoring any facts that may distinguish one from another. On the other end, the ultra-right thinks that if you let 'them' have the vote and dont tie them to trees, you're doing pretty well. When it comes down to it, that's not a definition of racism so much as tactlessness.

Saying "maybe he stayed in because of the Indian voting block" isn't necessarily a sign of racism. Saying that, but not saying the same about Justin and "white voting fraud" probably is. I have nothing against trashing Sunjaya for his (lack of) singing talent, stage presence, and maturity of as a performer, but these racist speculators should just turn off Idol and go listen to their Prussian Blue CDs, because this is AMERICAN Idol, and white people no longer have a monopoly on undeserved votes.

April 06 2007 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StarDuck

Interesting how there have been a lot of talented people eliminated in favor of less talented ones on AI, but this is the first time a large portion of the public have blamed it on that person's 'race'. Guess white people are incapable of the same favoritism that Indians are being accused of here, and neither of blacks. (Though honestly, I imagine a lot of people do blame a "black voting block" for some things, but just not publically because THAT flavour of bigotry isn't acceptable).

April 06 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pten

I absolutely adore Sanjaya :P)).. I really hope he stays as long, as it's possible.. And - no, I am not 13, Indian, neither I am gay ;)).. Moreover, I've just had a baby and I swear, I really wish I could adopt this cute little boy, Sanjaya.. Too bad, being 25, I can't really wish I could marry him ;)).. So, leave him and his fans alone - everybody has the right to choose and vote for whoever they want and for whatever reason :)).. And if you think it should be pure singing competition - well, maybe you should suggest to Simon to make it radio show instead ;).. Or, at least, to get rid of all those super-mini skirts, diamonds and nice haircuts ;P..

March 21 2007 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda Negron

I'm wondering what happened to some of the good singers when they made it to Hollywood. Maybe they should change the format of their judging style from the beginning to have come up with 24 singers; some with excellent voices, but most with so so voices. Where did all the talent go? Hollywood was too grueling.

March 13 2007 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjohnmassoud

I personally am glad that Haley made the final 12. She and Jordin are the only 2 who I would consider buying a CD of their songs.

Haley has talent and she performs well. I'd also have bought a CD from Leslie Hunt. Too bad that most AI listeners have never seen or heard of scat. Leslie and Haley are awesome.

I still say that there are alot of homosexuals who must be voting for Sanjaya. Why else would anyone vote for him. His voice does not project and well he moves like a fruitcake.

I can't wait to see the comments from the pro gay hysterics over that one. But well it's true.

GO HALEY YOU ROCK!

March 13 2007 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

The judges said "America got it wrong." If they didn't X, Y, or Z to advance to the Top 12, they should not have placed them in the Top 24. Once they are in the Top 24, it's anybody's game...People have their favorites for different reasons...Any of the Top 24 SHOULD be IDOL worthy, as any one of them can win when it's left up to US to vote!~ In my opinion, there are only six or seven that I really think deserve to be there & only 3-4 that I would their CD.

March 12 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
camgreer

I suspect that some Indian techno-whiz has figured a way to make millions of phones dial remotely for Sanjaya. The boy's not making it on talent, that's for sure, even he is surprised at his success. If he's still there after next week, the producers need to look into vote fraud and try to do something about this travesty.
If things straighten out and the right contestants move on, we will see Blake and Melinda in the final.

March 11 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RCN

Remember this is a TV show done for ratings. I totally agree with the person who questioned that these are the best of the 100,000 people who originally "auditioned"? There were probably thousands as good or better that never really got a chance. Most of us have probably attended local high school musicals where there were performers that made us go "wow". Only a few made it through this year.

People vote for lots of reasons and one of course(unfortunately) maybe race. Others vote for who is from there state or town. It is not all about singing ability. Good singers will get voted off if they are splitting a vote along a certain line whether race,sex or style or maybe how they dress.

Whether the producers manipulate the votes we will never know. Certainly keeping certain people in helps with the ratings and that means more money. Hey, it's good TV. Will more people watch because Sanjaya is going on? Probably. I find it interesting that the Judges wouldn't be saying that any of the top 24 (that THEY picked) would be good enough to be the American Idol. For them to say that certain people are "awful" only emphasizes that they (or more precisely the producers)shouldn't have picked them to begin with.

March 11 2007 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy

It is a travesty that Sanjaya is still there and Sundance is gone. Obviously, the judges felt that way and so did the contestants. Race should have nothing to do with this-this is a singing contest. Songchoice is important-and although "Jeremy" did not showcase Sundance's voice, Sanjaya's song and his whole demeanor was laughable. I am a white middle aged woman, and I hope that people come to their senses and vote for Melinda or Lakisha in the end. Talent needs to override everything. And yes I voted for Taylor Hicks, only because I did not like Kat-if Chris would have still beem in there, it would have hard.

March 11 2007 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeana katz

Wheeewwww---Sounds like there are quite a few folks disappointed with the latest AI results!
Just wanted to thank Liz Finn-Arnold for her interesting column and recap of AI.

On a personal note, the video of Seacrest and Cowell somewhere in Africa was pathetic. They looked unnatural and could take some tips from Angelina Jolie or the late, great Audrey Hepburn. I think the whole idea of AI giving back is a huge, shallow publicity stunt since it makes the show and the money bag producers look like do-gooders when in reality--it's all about outward exposure so more money can be deposited in their personal coffers. Notice that the exact dollar amount was not even given! Just hinted at.
Since the show is in a generous mood, why not give all the contestants who made it through Hollywood week some kind of prize money--obviously, the rates would be pro-rated as to how long they lasted on the show. Just a thought!

March 11 2007 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply