Idol conspiracy? What conspiracy?

by Jon Peter Lewis, posted Mar 8th 2007 1:40PM

Jon Peter LewisWell, if anything was clear after tonight, it was that the girls this season have bigger, stronger and fatter cojones than the guys do. That probably won't stop one of the boys from sticking around long enough to see the top two or three, though. Idol voters have funny ways of making us cringe.

It's not rigged, though, I promise. At least, I don't think it is -- and I have some good reasons to believe so.

Message boards are always filled with scandal and accusations of foul play. I don't know why, but people are always so quick to cry conspiracy even when better judgment says otherwise. Probably for the same reasons we believed the world was flat for so long ...

I think you have to ask yourself: What does Idol stand to gain by fixing the competition? Ratings? Maybe, but what does Idol stand to lose by cheating? Well, much more than they have to give.

I don't know all the specifics of the process, but I do know the votes are sent to a private company devoted solely to the purpose of counting American Idol votes. That company is overlooked by Fox's department of standards and practices; who are, in turn, scrutinized by lawyers and gold-diggers of all shapes and sizes around the world, just waiting to sue for foul play. A secret like that would be a veritable gold mine and pretty tough to keep quiet.

Something else to think about is the fact that both the TV show and the record label releasing the winner's album are essentially the same company. The winner would be the most popular and likewise would sell the most records -- in theory. That theory was shot to pieces now that Taylor is the first winner to sell under a million records, though.

Idol upsets are most likely the result of the instability of large amounts of votes cast over a long period of time. Too many things can go wrong. Public opinion can change quickly or power outages or whatever ... Maybe someone just gets overlooked one night.

Who knows really? It's getting late and my brain is fried from thinking about it. I really won't be surprised to see people up in arms tomorrow night after the results are in. I'm gonna withhold my predictions though. I'm saving those for next time.

[Jon Peter Lewis was a contestant on the third season of "American Idol." He has just released his debut album, "Stories From Hollywood." Visit his Web site, jonpeterlewis.com, and americanidol.com to download his single.]

Go to AOL for more 'Idol' news, photos, recaps, rumors and more.

artslvr

That is impeccable logic, Jon.

March 10 2007 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Hey Jon, are you related to Blake Lewis on AI6?

March 10 2007 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonnie

this is the worst idol ever! It's quickly going from being a show about singing talent to being a teeny-bopper popularity show. Also this bunch of contestants are the least talented and homeliest-looking bunch ever. I don't think I'll be watching anymore.Sundance and Sabrina should not have gone home and so that leaves two males and two females who are even close to being good enough to win and we all know who they are! Good luck to 'em cuz they're gonna need it!

March 10 2007 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debi

mayorjimmy must be a crack head- the powers that be want only to crown the person who gets the most votes thusly will sell the most records so they would not risk fixing the vote you dumb ass...sundance was a judge favorite but obviously not a fan favorite so he's gone. pretty simple if you ask me.

March 09 2007 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon Peter Lewis

I think that depends on what the demographic is. Older folks usually vote for their favs and kids generally pick a couple they identify with and stick to 'em.

March 08 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dar

I would remind you of two words: "Quiz Show." I also would suggest people consider another, Payola. If it's rigged, and the FCC or Congress found out, or even if a contestant who felt betrayed by the results, the producers would face a barrage of regulations, possibly banishment, not to mention lawsuits. If it's rigged, it's illegal.

March 08 2007 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mayorjimmy

What's hilarious is how people think the voting is real. Hate to break to y'all, but your voting is all for naught. Seriously. Shows like this are carefully crafted by people with egos the size of moons. Do you really think they're going to leave the future of their show and fate of their investments (which is all the contestants are) in the hands of YOU the viewer?!?!? come on don't be so gullible people. voting exists to appeal to that part of us all who wants to be a part of hollywood and will believe anything if it makes us feel like we are. i guarantee all the people who voted for Taylor Hicks are feeling pretty damn good about it because they think "i helped make him a star!!! i'm someone!!!" you didn't and you aren't. wake up.

March 08 2007 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JP

So do you think there are more people voting for their favourites, or more people who vote for whoever was best that night? How would you vote?

March 08 2007 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat Okon

As usual JP, your blog has been a good read. Considering you should know more then those of us who just watch the show, I feel the need to share your insight with everyone I know, maybe than some. If the results show turns out horribly wrong tonight, then I look to your blog tomorrow to at least make me laugh over the whole thing.

JON PETER LEWIS YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!

March 08 2007 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Regardless of who wins there will always be pissing and moaning from those who believed their guy/gal was the best.

March 08 2007 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply