September 20, 2014

What are rich people watching on television?

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 8th 2007 10:43AM
scrubsImagine this: you're sitting on your leather sofa with a glass of Joseph Phelps 2001 Insignia wine in one hand and a remote control in the other. You look at your 80-inch plasma television. What's on the screen? Scrubs.

A media group analyzed Nielsen ratings by income and determined that affluent American television viewers prefer to watch ABC and NBC. And they don't watch reality television. Instead, the highest-rated television shows among America's wealthier viewers are The Office, 30 Rock, What About Brian, Lost, Friday Night Lights, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, and Studio 60. Besides DH and Grey's, those are all shows that receive mediocre ratings.

And here's another interesting discovery. The researchers found that the median income for ABC viewers is $64,000; NBC is $60,000; CBS is $59,000; FOX is $53,000 and The CW is $45,000. I'm guessing that income level is also tied to age, with younger people watching FOX and The CW and older people settling for ABC and NBC.

What networks do you watch the most? I have to admit it's primarily NBC for me.

[Thanks, Justin!]

Kina

I have just joined a site: http://www.millionairematch.com .
I made a survey on this topic, here is the results:
NBC: Heroes, Studio 60, Grease,Friday Night Lights,
ABC: Brothers and Sisters, Greys Anatomy
CBS: HIMYM, The Class, Criminal Minds,CSI and HIMYM
FOX: American Idol , House, Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?
CW: Smallville ,Veronica Mars

March 26 2007 at 3:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Forrest

Age: 23
Income: $60-70k

NBC - Office, Vegas, Studio 60, FNL, 30 Rock, and Black Donnellys (also Friends and WW from days gone by)
ABC - What About Brian, Boston Legal, Grey's
CBS - HIMYM, NUMB3RS, and Shark with an occassional CSI

March 22 2007 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent

I am not rich nor american :D
But here is what i watch :

NBC: SNL, Heroes (+), Scrubs (++)
ABC: DH, Lost (-)
Comedy Central: South Park (+) Roast (+/-)
CW: Veronica Mars (++)
MTV: The Real World (++/+)
CBS: Jericho (+), Survivor (--), TAR (+)
Fox: Prison Break (-) The O.C. (+)
ESPN: Tilt (season 2 ?)
showtime: dexter (season 2 ?), Huff (please order a 3rd season), Penn & Teller: Bullshit! (+)
Discovery: Mythbusters, various documentaries (++)
BBC: documentaries (++)

++ = i like it a lot
-- = i just dropped it

Also included are rare shows i wish were ordered a second season. ;)
I have yet to watch the riches, Grey's, The Office.

March 14 2007 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grudknows

I'm not so sure it's about money - it could be all about taste... (what came first, the taste or the money?)

Who knows - I know I'm not rich and am not a fan of reality TV, I've really enjoyed Studio 60 (a friend insisted I watch it, otherwise I may have missed it altogether) - I like quirky and, it seems, I like programs that seemed doomed to a short life.

And *what is* the appeal of reality TV, I don't understand...

March 13 2007 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
asdaffodil

I'm a 26 year old female with a prettygood income and here's what I watch...

ABC - Home Makeover, DH, Brothers & Sisters, Lost Grey's
NBC - Heroes, My Name is Earl, The Office, Scrubs, 30 Rock, Studio 60
CW - ANTM
Bravo - Project Runway, Top Chef (if they were on right now)

March 09 2007 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meghan

This 21-year-old female currently enrolled in college watches...

NBC: Heroes, The Black Donnellys (trying it out), My Name is Earl, The Office, Scrubs, 30 Rock
CBS: How I Met Your Mother
CW: Veronica Mars
Comedy Central: Daily Show, Colbert Report
USA: (was watching) Psych
SciFi: Stargate Atlantis (waiting for April), Battlestar Galactica
Disney: Kim Possible (guilty pleasure)

March 08 2007 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

cont'd
As long as we are sharing TV habits, I have a bunch.
Sun- Fox comedies, Desperate, Rome
Mon- Prison Break, 24, Heroes, Everybody Hates Chris
(studio 60 canceled)

Tues- Boston Legal, Dirt ,more but they're on hiatus, axed
Wed- Friday Night Lights, (Knights of Prosperity),
Lost, South Park
Thurs- NBC comedies, Grey's (in my house, but I don't watch) UFC (when it's on)
Fri- The Soup
Sat- SNL, Mad TV, Talk show with Spike Feresten
M-F Daily show, Colbert, Around the Horn, PTI
I have a DVR and don't watch any commercials. I watch TV in 22 and 44 min increments.

March 08 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

Hey I watch those shows, and after reading that report, I'm marching into my supervisor's office (printed out page in hand), and slamming the page on his desk while demanding a raise. After his confusion settles, he will ask me for a sufficient reason, and I'll tell him to read the page, then come over and check my DVR. He will have no other choice.

March 08 2007 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

This 32 yo female, currently unemployed watches:

NBC (6 shows): My Name is Earl, Heroes, Friday Night Lights, Studio 60, Law and Order, currently trying out The Black Donnellys

ABC (5 shows): Men in Trees, Greys Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Brothers and Sisters, Lost (though I download and only watch the Sawyer scenes so that doesn't take long)

CBS (4 shows): NCIS, occasionally Criminal Minds, CSI and HIMYM

CW (2 shows): Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris

Fox (1 show): House

March 08 2007 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn50

I thought when I logged on I would find everyone having a hot laugh over this article - instead, a lot of people are posting their incomes, along with what they watch.

So, rich people watch inferior crap like Friday Night Lights and What about Brian?

Yeah, right.

The rich, when they watch at all, watch cable.

March 08 2007 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply