July 22, 2014

I want my 24-hour anime

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 9th 2007 8:01AM

flclFirst of all, I have to give a big ol' Minnesota-style "thank ya" to those of you who recommend some great anime for me to check out. A Minnesota-style "thank ya" is like a regular "thank ya" except you say it while keeping a herd of rabid moose away from your snow fort with a hockey stick.

Speaking of anime, I just learned there exists a channel devoted to nothing but anime 24/7. I also learned that this channel is only available in some areas (New York City recently received the channel). It's called the FUNimation Channel (FUNimation Entertainment produces anime videos for sale in the United States).

I love the idea of a channel devoted to anime, though I assume the channel is limited to those series from the FUNimation library. I'm curious as to whether there's a good mix of shows or just the same stuff repeated over and over again. Of course, with Adult Swim and DVDs, it's not like it's impossible to find and watch pretty much any anime you desire, but I'd still love to get this channel in my area.

malren

I'm currently watching Blood+. SO GOOD. I'd love to see an all anime channel. Also, I shower daily - it helps to facilitate sex with my out-of-my-league hot wife.

Guess I'd blow the curve on that University of Chicago study. :)

March 09 2007 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Adam - check at www.theanimenetwork.com/locator/ if you'd like to see if it's available in your area. Watch Cowboy Bebop as soon as you can. Share the love.

rvkey - Weird. Now that I think about it, I probably DID only shower once every three days or so when I started to get interested in anime. Now I'll shower two or three times a day. There's been a direct correlation between my fondness for anime and my personal hygeine..... I'm not sure what to make of that....

March 09 2007 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

mrkorb -
While I was on the Anime Network's site earlier I saw that "starting in February of 2005 [they] will be airing a special block devoted to subtitled shows". I don't know if that was specifically for the 24-7 network or VOD. Two years since and I've yet to see anything subtitled from them. My biggest problem, at least with the VOD offerings, is that all too often it seems more like a marketing venue than a proper network. I've gotten tired of them only offering the first 2 or 3 offerings of a show and then removing it. Before they released the first DVD of the 2005 Guyver remake, they made a pretty big deal about the first episode being available for free on demand. It was available for a week or so leading up to the DVD release and then removed. To my knowledge episode 2 has never been available. I'm a fan, overall, of video on demand, and if I were in ADV's shoes I'd probably be using the network to pimp my wares too, but as a viewer there's not much incentive to check in on the Anime Network on a regular basis.

March 09 2007 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvkey

Funny. I actually read this this morning.

"According to a University of Chicago study, the average person who describe themselves as "very interested in anime" showers once every three days."

Not saying it's true. Just thought it was a funny coincidence.

March 09 2007 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrkorb

I'm pretty sure the Funi channel isn't limited to just their properties, unless I'm thinking of the ADV sponsored The Anime Network instead. The only drawback to any anime channel in North America is that they're probably show only the dubs, in which case you might end up getting some altered dialog, and less than great voice acting compared to the original Japanese audio. IMO, fansubs, for all their questionably legal gray areas, are good for getting to know newer and lesser known series that might never make it over here for various reasons. I'm pretty well convinced that buzz over fansubs is what drives North American licensing decisions, and without them ADV and Funi wouldn't have their own channels.

March 09 2007 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply