July 30, 2014

Survivor Fiji: Love Many, Trust Few, Do Wrong To None

by Deidre Woollard, posted Mar 9th 2007 6:37AM
(S14E05) Just when I think, maybe, maybe I can enjoy this season we get more Ravu humiliation. This could be the season that breaks my Survivor love. Last week offered a tiny reprieve but mainly this is just relentless misery. Underdog stories are great. Aitu's wins last season made some of the best Survivor viewing ever. But you had some very physically and mentally adept players on that team and they seem to have had better access to natural resources. Here we have less hardy players who look like emaciated players from Survivor Australia or Survivor Africa and they are just being beaten. And worst of all, being beaten doesn't even make them likable for the most part.

The tribes are given a little catalog of what to shop for before a sumo style immunity challenge. Ravu chose fishing gear and potatoes. Over at Moto they choose coffee and tolietries. Poor Ravu all they want is a chance to experience the joys of starch and protein. Fat and happy Moto takes little digs at Ravu, aggravating the starving muskrat that is Rocky, leading to a Rocky and Dreamz match. Poor Rocky he's scrawny and malnourished whereas Dreamz is well-fed. It's just no contest. In fact once again Ravu gets decimated. Over and over nearly every member of Ravu is pushed into the mud. It's just ridiculously sad.

At Moto they are squabbling. I hardly know who anyone is at this tribe except for Dreamz who is annoying everyone on the tribe. They are sipping coffee and glaring at each other like it's the Big Brother house. Over at Ravu Rocky looks like he is ready to lose his mind because the girls are talking about fashion. I bet Rocky has serious road rage. He just looks like the guy who would be banging on the steering wheel and honking his horn.

Alex is quite the schemer over at Moto insisting that the tribe make Cassandra and Dreamz feel included and close. Dreamz is aware of this and has his own plan to split off to the remains of Ravu and stomp over everyone in his snakeskin boots. He is growing on me when compared to the increasingly ugly fat cats at Moto. Finally I now know the some of the other players on the team besides Dreamz and Lisi. And Alex and Edgardo are cute. Who knew? We've been focused on starvation station so Moto remains a mystery. Not really a smart move from a story development standpoint since many of these players are going to be important later.

The immunity challenge involves memory to find pairs. At least this challenge doesn't involve speed, dexterity or strength. It's a nice sedate challenge. That should work right? Wrongo.

When Yau-Man is looking for a match, Jeff is rather catty saying that Yau-Man hasn't had a lot to eat and his "sharp brain" has gone soft. Indeed, Yau-Man loses the chance to score a point. Luckily Lisi loses her turn because her tribe spoke and Ravu gets a point. The teams are tied with one matching pair on the board. But once again Ravu squanders their chance to win. It's just no fun at all. I almost had to leave the room when Rocky was wandering around the field.

Rocky has perfected the art of the accusatory apology. His mea culpa turns into a rant about the mass confusion in the tribe. It seems that it will either be Rita or Anthony going home. But I am not certain if either of them is the problem in the tribe.

Rita goes home which means that Rocky got his wish. But it looks like when Survivor returns March 21 there will be a change up that puts Rocky and Dreamz on the same team. It's about time the producers did something to stop the pain. But unless it is a total switchover won't some people still be tortured at camp grim?

Jess

I LOVE the Ravu stuff!!!! Did you know that if you go to the link below at 11am the day after the show airs you can see a live interview with the newest castaway? Seriously you guys should check it out.

March 15 2007 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

#8: "Nobody ever said Survivor was fair." There's an irony to that statement in that until this season "Survivor" always has been fair in that both teams were on an equal footing - they were all starving, all facing the elements, all having to make decisions on how to build shelters start fires and gather food. This season has made the game inherently unfair in that one team had everything and one had nothing and all of it decided by a single challenge. So it's really no more unfair to redraw for teams than it was to have them living like that in the first place.

March 10 2007 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

#8- I agree with you in theory, however, I disagree with people not watching a blood bath. We watched the Palau domination and many people complained then that they should have switched up the teams. Really, the whole point of Survivor is that it's a numbers game and how do the numbers realign when there is a tribal shakeup, which HAPPENS EVERY SEASON. Part of outwitting and outlasting is how well you deal with the changes during the season. How interesting will it be to see Dreamz and Rocky on one team? And what will become of Cassandra, the other Moto outcast.

As for Alex, he is not much of a schemer if he acquiesced to Lisi's wish to get rid of Liliana. If he doesn't win, his demise will be able to be traced to that inane decision.

March 09 2007 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

BC,
"Not fair, not fair, not fair!" Bull Crap. How "fair" is it to have the game stacked against you from the beginning, and how "fair" is it to make the teams compete week after week when there is no hope for the underdog? Nobody ever said Survivor was fair. You mentioned constant changes. Doesn't that mean change is the norm. It's all academic anyway. The producers know people will not tune in week after week to see a blood bath. Of course, they will change the game. I personally live for the moment when the tables get turned on those nasty Moto girls.

March 09 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC

I agree that this season's show has not been very good and has lost something....whether it be this years concept, the characters, the domination by one tribe, or some other factor!

The reward challenge was embarrassing, as one by one Moto thumped them (Yau-Man barely beat the female he was up against, and if she had not slipped she probably would have beaten him). That was as dominate I can remember in any challenge as Ravu being starved, weakened, and mentally drained definitely showed.

However if the previews and internet spoilers are true about them "re-picking" teams, then I ask why? why? why? Seriously, as boring as it may be, its not fair to Moto to split them up since they have won and flurished by the rules given to them at the start of the game. The Survivor's motto is out wit, out play, out last --- not out wit, out play, out last until we switch the game in the middle of it.

I have mentioned this before on here: I hate it when they start a concept then just abandon it like they did with the men vs. women, 4 tribes based on race, and this years everyone's on one island together at the beginning. Why start these new concepts then just abandon the idea a few weeks into it? I have really gotten annoyed with the constant in season changes.

Plus, how fair will it be to those from Moto, who have won and won and won, to just redraw up the teams? If I or any of you were out there then we would be very upset after having been out there a few weeks and dominated all that time to have all the names put in a hat (or however they do it) to just redo the teams. If I were there I would be screaming BS. I could care less who wins, but the last few seasons they have done this did not seem very fair to me. Basically after all that time, all the wins, and aligning yourself with some sort of alliance yet boom....you have to start over! Again, me personally I would be screaming BS every time I was in front of the camera.

I still like the show, but not like I did at the beginning, as the more I have watched the recent seasons I have found things that are turning me off to it and based on reading others thoughts, I am not alone in my thinking!

March 09 2007 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

I'm still thinking that this season will get interesting. Previews hint that the tribes get mixed up; I still think that they should run the reward challenge as the winning tribe gets the plush beach (including all of the comfort items) until the next reward challenge.

March 09 2007 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Ray

After watching last nights gorge or splurge show my wife and I decided we have had enough. This season is over for us... we don't care who wins.

March 09 2007 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

This is pitiful and was a dreadful concept, starving some while gorging others. I don't watch it anymore, just flick over when there is a commercial break on another channel. Even then I can barely stomach the full five minutes.
Bring back Ozzy and Yul, what a team to root for, this is just cruelty and it is not entertaining at all.

March 09 2007 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

As loud and angry as Rocky is, he is seems to give more to these challenges than anyone in either tribe. Unfortunately, with his strength dwindling and Moto's growing, he would need to give 200% just to break even.

One thing that is of notice, at least in the last few immunity challenges, is that despite being weak and living in a primitive camp, Ravu has only been losing by a hair. Luxury is another story where they just got blown away yesterday.

Easily the funniest moment in Survivor history IMO was Lisi falling flat on her face when it was her turn in the challenge. If I had to choose someone I wanted that to happen to it would have been her.

March 09 2007 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

My husband and I were commenting last night about the same thing----it just isn't fun to watch the total humiliation anymore. It is totally the haves and have nots. I don't think there is one character on either tribe that I like (okay, I take that back, Earl is actually pretty funny at times in a really dry way!) If the Survivor producers are trying to run the viewers off, then I think they are succeeding. I have been a loyal Survivor viewer since Season one, but I ended up watching the AI results show last night rather than endure one more Ravu humiliation!

March 09 2007 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply