July 30, 2014

Town rejects Sopranos filming permit

by Julia Ward, posted Mar 9th 2007 2:24PM
Holstens Ice Cream ParlorPermits have been denied to the producers of The Sopranos to film in the town of Bloomfield, New Jersey on the basis of the show's "offensive depiction" of Italian-Americans. The producers had intended to film the series' final scene at Holsten's Brookdale Confectionery in Bloomfield. The permits for shooting were approved and then revoked after complaints reached Mayor Raymond McCarthy who was quoted as saying, "I don't think The Sopranos depicts the life of a typical Italian-American in a positive way, and I still don't like the way people see New Jersey based upon The Sopranos series." (The way people saw New Jersey pre-Sopranos was apparently downright Utopian.)

The filming permits are being reviewed again next week because of the flood of calls supporting Holsten's, the actual shooting location. As council member Peggy O'Boyle Dunigan said, "If you don't like the show, you can turn it off. It's hard enough to have a small business in town. I don't want to discourage them." If they get the permits, I guess we know where The Sopranos will finally end - in an ice cream parlor - hopefully, not in the freezer.

UPDATE:
A loophole has been found because Holsten's is a commercial space. Filming will proceed as planned.

Mike

They got the permit now? Hm. Maybe Paulie Walnuts paid dah mayor a little visit -- to pursued him like.

March 09 2007 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sorceressss

"I don't think The Sopranos depicts the life of a typical Italian-American in a positive way, and I still don't like the way people see New Jersey based upon The Sopranos series."????

It's tel-e-vision, you know, not real?!!!! Lord, get a life already.

March 09 2007 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frag

They actually decided today that they can film with an approved permit. Very exciting, since Holsten's is on the corner of my street!

March 09 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

As someone who lives in NJ I happen to love the show. It is nothing like life in New Jersey, except all the food. They are scouting for a location in Belmar near where I live too! No one complained here. After all not all Jerseyans are Italians in the mob. That is just what the show is about. I wasn't offended by the way the Irish was depicted on The Black Donelleys or in The Departed as mobsters.

March 09 2007 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

"I don't think The Sopranos depicts the life of a typical Italian-American in a positive way"

The show is not about typical Italian-Americans now is it...

March 09 2007 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Matisoff

I've lived in New Jersey for 23 years... The Sopranos couldn't be a better representation of my life.

March 09 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply