September 23, 2014

A Fantasy Island movie with Eddie Murphy

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 11th 2007 2:03PM

eddie murphyEddie Murphy will star in the big screen remake of the popular series Fantasy Island.

I'll let that first sentence soak in. Ready? Okay, let's continue:

Murphy, much like in the Nutty Professor and Norbit, will play multiple roles in the adaptation of the series which starred Ricardo Montalban and Hervé Villechaize, ran from 1978 to 1984, and always creeped me the heck out when I was a kid. I'm not sure why it creeped me out, but it did. Hey, I was young and my parents watched it, plus I was kind of a wuss anyway. Maybe it was Montalban's accent.

In the original series, Montalban played Mr. Roarke, the caretaker of a mystical island where visitors could have any fantasy fulfilled, but there was always a catch.

Norbit screenwriters Jay Scherick and David Ronn are re-writing the script, and no director is attached to the project at this time.

[via Moviehole]

JW

Bring Back the Nutty Professor!!!

March 12 2007 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

I agree, Eddie Murphy is what 50 years old and still playing the baffoon? After 30 years in the business you think he would have made a bigger impact to where he does not need to continually take roles in which he make an *SS out of himself.

March 12 2007 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Oh Good. Just what we need . . . another formulaic film from Hollywood.

Christ, give us something original. PLEASE.

March 11 2007 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Wow, Eddie Murphy is just determined to ruin any gravitas he may have developed from Dreamgirls and his nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Who's this man's agent and why hasn't he or she been fired?

March 11 2007 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Wow, that's two horrible ideas put together: 1) letting Eddie Murphy make another "comedy", and 2) digging up the grave of yet another kitschy TV show from the 70's. Is a David Spade, Rob Schneider, and Adam Sandler remake of "Love Boat" next?

March 11 2007 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply