April 20, 2014

Here's a list of shows that might not come back this fall

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 12th 2007 6:20PM

JerichoFor those are you who worry a lot and get all nervous, you might want to skip this story.

Variety has a list of the TV shows that are "on the bubble," the ones that are teetering on the edge of cancellation and might not make it to fall '07. The list includes a few shows that I thought were actually doing well, and that scares me a bit (and ticks me off).

ABC: The Nine and Knights of Prosperity are probably gone, and What About Brian is on the edge too, despite getting a second life a few months ago.

CBS: Believe it or not, Jericho might not return this fall. The Class might not return if new episodes of Old Christine do well, and that's because Rules of Engagement is doing so well that it could be the surprise hit of the midseason and return in the fall.

FOX: The War at Home and The Winner could be going bye-bye. As for Standoff, it's moving to Fridays later this month so we'll see how the number are then (but wasn't it getting OK numbers in the old time slot?)

NBC: Nobody expects Studio 60 to make it to a second year, while 30 Rock and Friday Night Lights aren't getting great ratings but both will probably see a second year (I wish they'd extend that kindness to Studio 60). Other shows on the bubble: Medium, Crossing Jordan, and Law and Order: CI.

The networks announce their fall schedules in May, though we'll probably hear some news before then.

Double D

Personally I happen to love Jericho, and enjoy the way that the story of who attacked has been wrapped in a mystery. Some of the family melodrama has been over the top, but for the most part, I hope and pray that CBS has the integrity to let this show continue to play out.

Here is a lesson for ALL networks - the idea of splitting seasons is a complete and total failure!! Look at what happened to Lost as another example. People are away for so long that they forget to tune back in or cant remember where they were in the story. For God's sake, either run everything straight through, ala 24, or give us our damn reruns! Its not the producers of Jericho's fault that CBS pulled them for months.

In the case of Studio 60, I too was entranced enough at first to watch teh show religiously. But soem things just continued to bother me over and over again. First and foremost, why have the new producers immediately rescuing the show in the ratings? Why not show more about what it takes to gain back the viewers over a season? Seems to mne that would be more realistic.

Secondly, having most of the writers walking out, to be replaced by only THREE writers makes NO sense. Having the head writer being a mean and nasty person makes no sense. Grabbing an obscure comic who couldnt make an audience laugh doing stand-up, but now suddenly he is one third of the brillant writing team?

Add to all of this Sorkins very obvious disdian for anything and anyone who is religious, right-wing, conservative, middle American... well, you get the idea. He pisses off the majority of the country and then no one can figure out why no one is watching.

April 26 2007 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy

I watched Studio 60 when it first came out. Watched probably the first 4-6 episodes, but I thought it was so boring, and I only sat and watched it because I thought it would get more interesting. I think what turned me off was the story line of, and I can't think of his name, sorry, but the guy from Friends and his ex girlfriend. I was turned off by his hatred of God and anyone who believed in God and that is why he broke up with his girlfriend. I don't know why,I didn't like that story line, but the chemistry between him and the other guy from Westwing was fun. I am so sorry, but I can't think of their names right now. I don't watch a lot of the other shows because my nine year old has to watch for the 300th time, the reruns on Disney and Nick, Jr. The show Law and Order:Criminal Intent, I never understood the premise of that show. While Law and Order deals with both police and lawyers and trials, and Special Unit dealt with sex and what not, and sometimes, I still don't understand why its a spinoff, and I do like Criminal Intent, I just didn't get it. Why is it called Criminal Intent, when the crimes are already done? The reason behind the splitting of Vincent D'Onfrio one week and Christopher Noth, the next, is because Vincent D'Onfrio, I heard, had a nervous breakdown because Bush won reelection of the Presidency. My sister read that he just can't stand Republicans and it made him go balistic when Bush won, and that is why they decided help him out and cut his shooting schedule. It could be just a rumor, which I'm sure some of you will reply to, but that's what she told me that she read somewhere. She gets People and Instyle and those magazines that are all about celebrities. It could be, that some people can't stand the shooting schedule, especially when you have to be in every scene, etc. I liked the Knights of Prosperity, but I only saw it twice. I thought it was funny, yet I surmised it to be a dark comedy. It took on some dark aspects. The previews of Jericho looked really, really, good, but I'm sorry to say, I just haven't watched it. Like I said I don't get to watch much tv. The shows I watch are My Name is Earl, the Office, ER or Shark, CSI, Medium, Monk, Ghost Whisper, Law and Order, sometimes L & O:SVU, and stuff on Arts and Entertainment, Court TV, and Discovery and History Channel. I watched Rules of Engagement once, and thought it a cookie cutter of all the other fluff sitcoms. Patrick Burton is a sight to behold, but I won't watch it just because of him. I just thought it was so typical of what's out there, and that its the kind of show that gets the GOOD shows cancelled. That is my two cents.

April 06 2007 at 2:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JACKIE

MY THOUGHTS ON CANCELLATION OF SOME GOOD AND GREAT SHOWS,THE CLASS WAS ONLY WATCHED BY ME BECAUSE OF JASON RITTER.HE'S AND GOOD ACTOR TO THE POINT HE COULD SURPASS HIS FATHERS SKILLS THE LATE GREAT JOHN RITTER OF THREE'S COMPANY FAME.I FELL IN LOVE WITH JASON ON JOAN OF ARCADIA ANOTHER GREAT SHOW CANCELED BY CBS.DAYBREAK I TRIED TO WATCH I'FELT LIKE I WAS WATCHING GROUNDHOG DAY ON STERIODS.THE NINE I JUST DIDN'T GET,AND OLD CHRISTINE SHE IS SO FUNNY AND WANDA SIKES IS AND BREATH OF FRESH AIR TO THE SHOW.DID YOU SEE MONSTER IN LAW.VERONICA MARS I LOVE I THINK CW HURT THERE RATINGS BY MOVING TO A CHANNEL HALF OF THE TELEVISION WATCHERS DON'T EVEN KNOW EXIST.ME I THINK THEY NEED TO GO LESS REALITY AND FOCUS ON RATINGS AND WINNING VIEWERS LOYAL ONES.NETWORKS NEED TO FOCUS ON KEEPING VIEWERS AND LESS ON TRYING TO ANNOY THEM WITH BOGUS REALITY SHOWS AND STICKING WITH WHAT WORKS GO BACK TO FORMULA BEFORE REALITY T.V.PICK SHOWS THAT THE PUBLIC WANTS TO SEE AND NOT DESTROYING GOOD SHOWS IN MIDSEASON LIKE JERICHO AND THE CLASS,AND VERONICA MARS THE NANCY DREW OF THIS MILLENIUM.LIKE ONE TREE HILL I'V BEEN THERE FROM DAY ONE AND EVERY SEASON THERE BEING THREATEN TO BE CANCELLED GOOD SHOW,GREAT ACTORS.THE NETWORKS NEED TO LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE AND RECOGNIZE THE PEOPLE VOICES.AS FAR AS DAYTIME AND PASSIONS THE WAY THERE STORY LINES OR GOING I THINK IT NEEDS TO GO RIGHT ALONG WITH ALL MY CHILDREN AND GUILDING LIGHT HOW COULD YOU PUT REVA'S SISTER WITH HER HUSBAND SHAME ON YOU.SO I SAY THIS TO VIEWERS AND TELEVISION EXCE.VIEWERS TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR REMOTE AND SPEAK YOUR MIND YOU CAN MAKE DIFFERENCE AND EXCES.LISTEN TO YOUR VIEWERS AND YOU MAY END UP WITH SOME WINNERS ON YOUR HANDS INSTEAD OF DUDS.DEVELOP A VIEWING PANEL OTHER THAN STARS AND YES MEN AND GET REAL VIEWERS AND MORE THAN 4 PEOPLE.

March 26 2007 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joterri_1999

Jericho is one of the best shows in a long time.....A lot of ohter shows were 3 seasons to "catch on" a.k.a Seinfeld???? So what is the deal with CBS?? Jericho should stay.

March 18 2007 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I compare ABC's support to Knights and NBC's support to Friday Night Lights to how NBC supported Cheers in mid-1983. Cheers had dismal ratings in the 1982-83, but NBC renewed it, the ratings and viewership rised, it later went top 10 and won Emmy awards for the actors/actresses.

March 16 2007 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

They need to get one of Law and Order shows off the air--there are TOO MANY! NBC puts so much money into the L&O franchise that you think they're McDonald's or something!

March 15 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tmo125

Seriously, they can NOT cancel Jericho. It is one of the best shows on television right now. I know they had the long break so they wouldn't have to have so many reruns in the middle, and they (the producers and such) liked it, but people do tend to forget...except for me. And now they are up against American Idol, which I don't watch. So, what do you expect? They should definitely be given the chance of another season.

March 15 2007 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Will networks ever get that they're better off pulling a 24 and running continuous episodes for a shorter time over the year instead of having all these hiatuses?

Hm, I'm strangely unsad about Jericho. I am interested in the bombs there, NOT the lameass family drama, and 90% of the show seems to revolve around lameass non-bomb-related drama. Who CARES about Eric and the barmaid?, etc. Plus it's the only show I've ever watched (normally I love teen shows) where I want every teenager except the Hawkins girl to die. Hawkins is the only compelling character on it, for crying out loud.

March 13 2007 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FWhite

Studio 60 should be given a second year. Will miss it greatly and already do. Sharp wit that probably showed the true side of the entertainment world. Hope it will return.....fff

March 13 2007 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mrs.MGA

NO! Not Jericho! Not the fakest, funniest, most dramatic tv serial currently on! What will I watch? Lost?

Ok, so that was a brief dramatic outtake based on Jericho.

Secondly, I stopped watching How I Met Your Mother, even though I thought it was funny b/c they got rid of the dogs. Pets are for life.

March 13 2007 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply